Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Default Re: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Pink mucus could be blood. It almost like she needs a decongestant and not the antihistamine. But I am not sure about dosing a decongestant, I'll have to look around to see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    As of today Luna has been on Cipro for 15 days...... she continues to snort out white or pink
    thick mucus but she can only get it out after I put saline drops in her nose.
    The Bene helps her to breathe but is keeping or making the mucus thicker than it 'might' be. Although I do not really
    know this for sure.

? ? ? ? Any thoughts or suggestions ? ? ? ?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (04-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Pink mucus could be blood. It almost like she needs a decongestant and not the antihistamine. But I am not sure about dosing a decongestant, I'll have to look around to see what I can find.
    Yes, I was thinking blood too....... I have used the decongestant nose drops a few times but mostly just the
    saline drops.

Should I continue with the Cipro for a few more days ? ? I am uncertain what to do.

BUMP ! ! !

Yes, I was thinking blood too....... I have used the decongestant nose drops a few times but mostly just the
    saline drops.

Should I continue with the Cipro for a few more days ? ? I am uncertain what to do.

This is the 16th day on Cipro............ I recall Milo's Mom stating how it took soooo long for her squ to get rid of the E. Coli
    but I need a little reassurance from those who deal constantly with meds. Also, what TubeDriver mentioned...... the Decongestant.......... should I give her that in loo of Benedryl that drys? ? ? ? AND ... WHAT KIND OF DECONGESTANT ? ? ? ?
    Thanks

I don't know the answer to how long to use Cipro? I think you are in contact with HRT4SQYRL, she is probably the person I would ask.

You could give liquid Children’s Sudafed but there are issues to consider.

Drug Interactions or Contraindications
    Due to pseudoephedrine being a sympathomimetic amine it should be used with caution in geriatric, hypertensive, or diabetic rats; or those rats with glaucoma, hepatic, or renal disease. it can also cause issues with urination.

You can NOT give the pill or tablet version, it has to be the liquid, children's version. If you can get this, I can dose it if you want to try it with Luna. But I would be very careful with it and watch her closely for any issues.

BUMP ! ! !

This is the 16th day on Cipro............ I recall Milo's Mom stating how it took soooo long for her squ to get rid of the E. Coli
    but I need a little reassurance from those who deal constantly with meds. Also, what TubeDriver mentioned...... the Decongestant.......... should I give her that in loo of Benedryl that drys? ? ? ? AND ... WHAT KIND OF DECONGESTANT ? ? ? ?
    Thanks

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Nancy in New York (04-15-2019), RamaMama (04-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    I don't know the answer to how long to use Cipro? I think you are in contact with HRT4SQYRL, she is probably the person I would ask.

You could give liquid Children’s Sudafed but there are issues to consider.

Drug Interactions or Contraindications
    Due to pseudoephedrine being a sympathomimetic amine it should be used with caution in geriatric, hypertensive, or diabetic rats; or those rats with glaucoma, hepatic, or renal disease. it can also cause issues with urination.

You can NOT give the pill or tablet version, it has to be the liquid, children's version. If you can get this, I can dose it if you want to try it with Luna. But I would be very careful with it and watch her closely for any issues.
    WoW ! Have to ponder a bit on whether I want to use....... will get back to you > > >

UNLESS any one else knows about this and has more insight or knowledge.
    Thanks TD

Luna is now getting the lumps on her back again...... and is producing quite a bit of mucus from her one sinus.

I have kept her on the Cipro...... I will do so for several more days or longer.... as I read it took
    21 or 22 days for another to get rid of E. coli

How long does it take for AB's to get out of the system ? ? ? - If I decide to have another test done
    she can't have AB's in her system.

Another test will be after the Holidays as everything will close down as of tomorrow or Thursday
    but I would like to know so I can make a plan, although it could change in an instant.

She is eating okay so has a bit of an appetite.

Any suggestions in regard to any thing about her situation ? ? ? ?

Default Re: Rama Rota - The King of Costa Rica

Luna is on Cipro ... and I have been giving her Ibuprofen,

? ? ? ? ??

I was told it is OK. ? ? ?

It generally is ok but watch out for any signs of seizure. The combo can increase the risk of seizures but I think the overall risk is still fairly low.

Luna is on Cipro ... and I have been giving her Ibuprofen,

? ? ? ? ??

I was told it is OK. ? ? ?

-Grateful Dead

I realize that Pycnogenol isn't an anti-histamine, yet as an anti-inflammatory and immune health promoting source,

that has been used to reduce chronic sinusitis amongst many other health issues, it is worth the try to see if it helps her condition.

2 or 3 non-needle drops from a 1 cc ml syringe twice daily of PYC.

Include half the amount of drops with the AM meal and the PM meal also.

Yogurt with a couple of drops of the organic virgin coconut oil, is a good way to get this source into a squirrel.

Adding a few drops of fresh squeezed tropical fruit puree should also help to improve the taste.

Do not feed PYC at the same time as you give her meds.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RamaMama (04-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Rosie how long has Luna been on Ibuprofen
    and how often do you give it to her, daily?
    Geeze......... I am so distressed I posted Luna's info on Rama's Thread...... SORRY !

Luna Ibu dosings as of starting on AB;s { prior to this infection was dosed 12 /20 - 12 / 21 - 12 / 22 then nothing until March 2019}

3/28 - 1 dose 8:15pm
    4 / 5 - 1 dose 3 pm
    4 / 6 - 1 dose 7:45 am
    4 / 7 - 1 dose 3 pm
    4 /12 - 1 dose 7:30pm
    4 /13 - 1 dose 8 pm
    4 / 14 - 1dose 7:30pm

Between or in loo of dosing 3 /22 thru 4/17 she would get Tram / nasil saline drops / Benedryl / gas drops on occasion / and in this time period Decongestant nose drops 3 times.

I have sent PM's to several people asking about Childrens Sudafed........ are my PM's not going throuh?

I have been advised, on good authority, to stop the Cipro and the Benedryl. Luna has been on Cipro for 18 days....
    long enough for positive results.

Hoping her body will reboot and be better. Days to come will tell.

Stosh will search for Child's Sudafed and if we can find it give Luna One drop..... see how she does.

Will continue to use the plain saline drops and Tramadol when I feel Luna really needs it.....
    mostly in the late afternoon or at night when she goes to bed........ pain makes her lick and
    lick and lick at her legs and tummy. She can't chew due to no upper teeth.
    I know she feels pain esp when she is quiet at night. My sweet baby girl.
    She is still very active and still likes to play. Wish Vets here knew about "O" surgery, they don't even
    know anything about squirrels so no reason they would know about that. Super Bummer.
    I know IF our local Vet knew how she would do. She has a huge heart.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

Nancy in New York (04-19-2019)

I found infant decongestant liquid drops without antihistamine listed from three different companies:

Dimetapp ; Triaminic ; Sudafed

Dimetapp has a version that is color free clear liquid.

http://www.medicines.org.au/files/wtcdimin.pdf

Stosh checked Pharmacys here......... the Sudafed in US is different.....

U.S. --- Sudafed ingredients: Pseudoiephedrine HCl 15 mg./5ml (teaspoon)

__________________________________________________ _____
    BELOW IS WHAT THEY HAVE HERE IN CR ---

Costa Rica product: seudofedrina sulfato 60 mg/ 5ml. ( 4 time stronger than Sudafed) ( decongestant)
    plus--- loratodina (antihistamine) 5g. / 5 ml.

CAN THIS PRODUCT BE SAFELY USED ON SQUS ? ? ? ? ?

This afternoon Luna is having TERRIBLE time "trying to breathe" and of course it gets worse laying down.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I found infant decongestant liquid drops without antihistamine listed from three different companies:

Dimetapp ; Triaminic ; Sudafed

Dimetapp has a version that is color free clear liquid.

http://www.medicines.org.au/files/wtcdimin.pdf

Rosie, unfortunately no one will know the answer to that. If Luna appears to have difficulty breathing due to congestion, it probably is better than nothing but realistically it's a decision that only you can make. I wish I had an answer for you but I really don't know. Sorry.

We may try it....................... as there is nothing else.

Luna is trying to sleep and jerking as she breathes in and out..... very difficult.

CAN SOME ONE HELP US WITH DOSING THIS CR SUDAFED? ? ? ? THINKING DILUTE IT 4 X ? ? ? FOUR DROPS OF WATER
    TO ONE DROP OF MED. because it is SO MUCH Stronger than the US Brand ? ? ? ? seudofedrina sulfato 60 mg/ 5ml. ( 4 time stronger than Sudafed) ( decongestant)
    plus--- loratodina (antihistamine) 5g. / 5 ml

Luna weight - 625 g.

Bummer is - not much is open here hoping they are open til 6pm if they are .......
    but WHEN we get it would like to know dosing so we can try immediately ! !

{Our Internet has been down...... just got back on here}
    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Rosie, unfortunately no one will know the answer to that. If Luna appears to have difficulty breathing due to congestion, it probably is better than nothing but realistically it's a decision that only you can make. I wish I had an answer for you but I really don't know. Sorry.

I would not use tap water to dilute it. If I was going to use it I would use it as is.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RamaMama (04-19-2019)

Rosie - That has two active ingredients so I have no idea how safe it is? The Sudafed portion should be dosed at 1mg/lb.

You should give Luna 0.34ml. I would give no more than 2x per day.

I don't know what the "loratodina" is for sure but I think it is Claritin. Dogs are dosed at 0.2mg/lb. If you give her the 0.34ml amount above, that would be 0.34mg of the Claritin which is probably ballpark right.

I have never used this and don't know anyone who has. But this sounds terribly desperate so if you decide to try this, 0.34ml (1-2x per day) is probably a reasonable dose. But I would watch her very carefully after the first dose to make sure she seems alright. Sorry I can't provide anything more definitive about this.

-Grateful Dead

I posted this info to support finding the source: I don't do dosing of meds, nor in sharing this info am I recommending these sources for use in tree squirrels, as I don't know what would happen, save that is noted to raise blood pressure.

I'm concerned that the dosage, if not the infant formula to begin, may be too high to reduce to a safe amount for a squirrel?

Yet I'm not one to ask if it is for sure or not.

That the source needs to include the decongestant; most formulas aren't having a number of other active ingredients.

I read that saline can be used for humans as a nasal flush for congestion; yet whether this can be done in tree squirrels without causing

aspiration into the lungs, is the question of concern.

I feel for you with your squirrel struggling to breath.

This is what I was referring to prior, as to the source including only the decongestant, as this one is noted to do.

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/he...ongestant-oral

Again, this is shared here just for the purpose of the reference on this source, as to see if it could be reduced down for that of a small infant

for the weight of a tree squirrel.

Rosie, your mailbox is full.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast