Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Default Re: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Almonds are good and many squirrel will eat them. You can also experiment with block to nut ration in boo balls. We start with 60% block, 40% nut but you can change the ratio to make them healthier or better tasting. Tip: grind the nut up really fine or else most squirrels just pick out the larger nut pieces and discard the rest of the boo ball. So grind everything up really fine.
    The adventures of Sir Max and Explorer Millie!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-the-Explorer!

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

“You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

For clarification, this is the almonds grown in the US that you are inquiring about, not the Tropical almond I assume?

Sorry guys, though almonds do contain a good array of nutrients raw, since 2008 the USDA has required them to be pasturized that reduces their nutrient value considerably. They also are one of the group of nuts that contain very high levels of anti nutrients also.

Commercially roasted almonds are not a healthy choice. All conventionally produced are fumigated with pesticides. Almonds are also one of the highest sources oxalates of commercially produced real nuts.

https://thescienceofnutrition.me/201...healthy-again/

The problem is that almonds come loaded with anti-nutrients, even the healthy organic ones. Phytates and oxalates in almonds are at high levels. Oxalates can crystallize in the kidneys or gallbladder, interfere with calcium absorption, and cause health problems. All nuts contain phytates, which bind to several minerals (like zinc, iron, magnesium, calcium, chromium, manganese) and reduce their bioavailability, leading to mineral deficiencies. Reduce phytates by soaking, sprouting, fermenting, and roasting.
    The better choice is English Walnuts, that are lower in oxalates and phytates.
    Hazelnuts should be limited in the diet of mid sized squirrel species.

Soaking nuts removes the dark bitter skin that is highest in oxalates, phytates, and tannins. After removing the skin, and patting the nuts to remove excess water, placing the kernels in the oven set on the lowest setting with the door open, can support keeping the nuts from sweating that damages the nutrients that they contain.

See attachment; click on the horizontal arrows on either side of the page; use the circle with the + to enlarge the field. move the page so you can see the far right side of the page. Under Conclusions this is noted:

Data from this experiment suggest that some nuts (almonds, Brazil, candle, cashews and pine nuts) should be placed in Group 1 as defined by Noonan and Savage (1999)9 and should be consumed in moderation.

(This is for humans, not for rodents that readily absorb much of the insoluble fraction of oxalates that they contain.)

While other nuts (hazelnuts, ginkgo, pecan, peanuts and pistachio nuts) should be placed in Groups 2 or 3 because they contain only moderate amounts of intestinal soluble oxalates.
    This group 2 also includes E. walnuts, that are lower in oxalic acid than almonds, and other higher oxalic content nuts noted on the center table in the file highlighted in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Almonds are good and many squirrel will eat them. You can also experiment with block to nut ration in boo balls. We start with 60% block, 40% nut but you can change the ratio to make them healthier or better tasting. Tip: grind the nut up really fine or else most squirrels just pick out the larger nut pieces and discard the rest of the boo ball. So grind everything up really fine.
    I'm sorry but I really had to laugh when I read this....... my squs are just the opposite. IF there is a any nut that is not like a powder and mixed in.... they spit the nut out ! Oh, except Mancha. She eats everything !

HHB's are at a premium due to the difficulty of getting them so as much as I wish I could give them more I have to carefully divi them out.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

TubeDriver (01-02-2019)

Just read Diggie's Friend post............. geeze, it's like I can't feed them hardly anything that is truly healthy. DANG ! !
    Well. the item was mad earlier today so they will have to deal with it.

Not sure what direction to take .... for now just moving forward slowly.

Yea, I thought almonds were fairly healthy! I eat them almost every day!

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    Just read Diggie's Friend post............. geeze, it's like I can't feed them hardly anything that is truly healthy. DANG ! !
    Well. the item was mad earlier today so they will have to deal with it.

Not sure what direction to take .... for now just moving forward slowly.

I understand; still better to know about it than not, and what can be used to support keeping oxalates lower in a squirrel's diet, that supports metabolic, bone, and urinary tract health.

One way to lower oxalates in grains and seeds is to sprout them; for in germination most of the oxalate is metabolized.

Soaking shelled nut kernels in water and plain yogurt, or plain kefir, for 8 to 10 hours overnight, then rinsed, and dried, lowers phytates, and supports the breakdown of oxalic acid, which preserves more calcium for the body to utilize.

Adding Magnesium citrate to the diet short of bowel tolerance, along with using Calcium citrate instead of Calcium carbonate, inhibits oxalic acid bonding with calcium in the gut, in the bloodstream, and in the urine where it also increases water loss in the urine that dilutes the oxalate, which also inhibits CaOx crystal (stones) formation.

Diggie's Friend > > >

Was getting ready to purchase this[[
    https://villagevitaminstore.ca/produ...uid-Pycnogenol 12.99 a bottle, ]] to have shipped where I will be in FL BUT.......

it has Ethanol..... is that okay? I usually try not to give my babies anything with any form of alcohol.

Please let me know ! Thanks

This exact same source that is presently being used in a gray squirrel's diet, that gets 2 drop from a milliliter syringe daily for maintenance.

With glycerin it best to use an organic source in rodents, yet with ethanol it isn't the same issue, as ethanol in tiny doses is burn up quickly by the higher metabolism of rodents.
    The dropper that the bottle comes with is not equal to the measure of milliliter syringe drops. Using the ML syringe is the most accurate way to deliver the a specific dosage daily. The amount given per dose is very small, with 1 mg. equal to 2 drops from a milliliter syringe

Ethanol, grain alcohol, supports the uptake of the extract into into the bloodstream. It is then not an ingredient that doesn't have a purpose. Most liquid extracts of nutraceuticals include either glycerine, or ethanol.

I will see if I can find a specific dose used for endometriosis in rats. What I found so far was in humans, but there has to be on in rats or mice as they always run studies on them before humans.

The cost is low for the bottle, but the shipping is about 25 dollars from Canada to the US. if you want more than one bottle, which I would encourage you to do, as I assume 2 bottles would be shipped together, likely not more for shipping, yet would check to make sure.

The powdered extract, again 1/64 Tsp. given every other day, then split between AM and PM feedings approx. 4 mg. yet the uptake isn't as good as it is with the ethanol extract. I urge you to get both, as you can use it for your other adult squirrels for maintenance. It replaces the cambium layer of bark, and with your region and little published as to using what are home remedies, this source having been tested in over 100 studies over 40 years some of which were done in rats and mice, allot has been learned as to its health effects.

You state to use "......milliliter syringe drops. Using the ML syringe..... "

Is this the same as a 1 cc syringe ? ? ? If NOT.... where to do get an ML syringe ?

ml = cc

so 1ml = 1cc

0.1ml = 0.1cc

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    You state to use "......milliliter syringe drops. Using the ML syringe..... "

Is this the same as a 1 cc syringe ? ? ? If NOT.... where to do get an ML syringe ?

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Diggie's Friend (01-04-2019), Nancy in New York (01-04-2019), RamaMama (01-04-2019)

I would strongly encourage you to get Pycnogenol; the liquid (from Organika) is better for treating conditions.

Okay, so this has been ordered and should be in FL waiting for me. Only giving it to the babies ! ! ! $$ OUCH $$
    Once this is received should it be kept in the frig esp after opening? ?

Remember, it is USUALLY super HOT here; dry hot one season - humid hot the other.

Thanks.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

TubeDriver (01-08-2019)

Yes, this extract should be kept in the fridge.

I would also get one bottle of the dry powder (less expensive) from Healthy Origins Amazon.com is the quickest on this one, so you can have a back up should you run out, etc.

Pycnogenol has been found to also improve appetite.

The Pycnogenol "Powder" is in line to be purchased........

where do I get that teeny tiny spoon for measuring? ? ?

Does anyone know if Henry's Healthy Pets carries these spoons ? ? ?
    I need to place an order with Henry's so if i can get it there
    or on amazon..... ?
    shipping is really getting expensive here.

The smallest measure I have is 3/4 tsp.

RamaMama, I think this is what you're looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    For dry source measures for both the Pet Flora and PYC Healthy Origins, you will need a set of mini Tsp. available on Amazon.com as is Pet Flora from Safer Medical a better deal price wise.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Food...=norpro+spoons

The mini spoons also available from Norpro on Amazon.com

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to GoldenEyes from:

Diggie's Friend (01-06-2019)

Thank you Golden Eyes and Tubedriver.

I thought to share this source I think I have shared with you in the past; it is Milk Thistle Seed Elixer.

This is one of the most important sources to have on hand and include in the diet for maintenance against an impact of alfatoxins from fungus.

https://www.amazon.com/Oregons-Wild-...arvest+organic

This is the dry, also included in a trial in my squirrel diet, it is less expensive than the elixir from the same company, also organic.

https://www.amazon.com/Oregons-Wild-...2Bharvest&th=1

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

GoldenEyes (01-06-2019), TubeDriver (01-06-2019)

[QUOTE=Diggie's Friend;1284405]

I thought to share this source I think I have shared with you in the past; it is Milk Thistle Seed Elixer.

https://www.amazon.com/Oregons-Wild-...arvest+organic

This is the dry, also included in a trial in my squirrel diet, it is less expensive than the elixir from the same company, also organic.

I have "Vitacost" Brand Milk Thistle Seed Liquid extract 1:1 2000 mg Other Ingredients ; Vegetable Glycerin, and water.
    BUT, it does not say "Organic".

I use to give this to J.D. Marx for his brain when he was having horrible seizures. He took it for quite some time
    but since he improved greatly, and appeared to be at a semi-level place with the other treatments, I had stopped giving the
    Milk Thistle to him. My thought was IF he ever got really bad again I would begin again.

I am preparing to make a purchase from Vitacost for other sups....... Is the Vitacost Milk Thistle alright to give them? ? ?

Since there has been so much about Raphides it makes me nervous when I give my babies items
    which they rarely eat.....
    Usually then turn their noses UP at Cantaloupe....... not lately. They are eating it esp Luna.... right down to the rind.

I can't find much of any info about 3/4 of the foodstuffs that they eat. Very frustrating and confusing.

Any feed back on this particular fruit would be appreciated.
    Thanks

I wouldn't over focus on raphides; according to this article on raphides it is the oxalates found in foods in the form of monohydrates that lend to the formation of kidney stones, not raphides.

In India, where this study was done, raphide crystals are more common in fruits and vegetables, yet in N.A. they aren't as common to my present understanding. In your region hard to say without finding a study that includes data and findings on the levels of both these forms of calcium oxalate, in fruits and vegetables. Most likely what is available is going to be piece meal rather than comprehensive.

That said, you don't want to feed sources that contain raphides, that are basically a defense plants have that protect from animal predation, as this article elaborates on.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...An_Unsafe_Menu

While several methods neutralize raphides, (for human consumption) very few have addressed the neutralization of the long-term damage of kidney stones that increases by eating foods rich in calcium oxalate. There are few traditional approaches that offer hope and few established methods that are yet to gain popularity. Peeling of foods where plant pericarp has high calcium oxalate seems to be an effective and economical way of reducing calcium oxalate.
    In a number of studies, of which the data on mineral content is regarded by the USDA, boiling has been found to be one of the most effective means of reducing the most common form of soluble oxalates, calcium monohydrate, and degrading oxalic acid, when accompanied by supplementation of oxalate consuming good gut bacteria. Good water consumption helps to dilute oxalates in the urine which does much towards preventing Calcium oxalate from crystalizing out in the urine which otherwise contributes to kidney stone formation in tree squirrels in highly acidic urine.

Citrates, and citrate forms of calcium and magnesium also inhibit oxalic acid from bonding with calcium carbonate in the intestines and bloodstream, thus supporting the safe elimination of oxalic acid out the urine. Yet using a strategy of adding calcium carbonate to bind up oxalic acid doesn't prevent the insoluble calcium oxalate that forms as a result from being absorbed into the bloodstream. In diets higher in oxalate content this can lend to kidney stone formation. Typically we see this from feeding of processed foods, and too many nuts.

On the other end of the pH spectrum, diets that promote alkaline pH don't promote calcium oxalate kidney stones, yet do promote calcium loss out the urine in the form of Calcium phosphate, which can result in both kidney and bladder of rats and tree squirrels presenting most often in Midlife. This dietary error if not corrected can lead to earlier mortality.

Immature brassica greens are low to moderate in oxalates, and lower in ratio to calcium. For this reason feeding immature leaves is preferable, as is blanching (90 sec), which deactivates most goitrogens. Same for immature lettuces, though not goitrogenic, they may carry potentially deadly bacteria, and nematodes. Blanching immature greens also makes the calcium that they contain more bioavailable.

Dense stalked Brassica vegetables are high in oxalates, yet not extremely high, that they can be lowered in oxalates, by first chopping them and then boiling and draining off the cooking water, and rinsing them with pure water..

One article I came across on Almendra seeds noted, that if the seeds are bruised during extraction that they will mold in (1 to 2 days). A dehydrator can be a major help when it comes to drying wild harvested seeds, not adding to the heat in the home during the hotter months.

Aspergillus fungus produces oxalates at very high levels that can cause cancer of the liver when ingested. This is why I also recommended the organic MTS elixir by, "Wild Harvest" with a low alcohol with organic glycerin base, which provides some defense against this toxin in the liver of mammals, including rodents, that can cause liver cancer.

For reason that non organic glycerin is noted to be problematic in rats, I wouldn't feed it.

The organic MTS elixir by "Wild Harvest of Oregon" with organic glycerin, and low organic alcohol, has no draw backs.

A study done in wild rats feeding a complement of minerals along with either organic, conventional, and conventional with pesticides decidedly found that the Organic diet increased immune health, good sleep, lowered stress, helped to control weight, and increased longevity; yet both the conventional and conventional with some pesticides didn't support health in these key regards as the Organic diet did.

Are you asking about cantaloupe? It is a very healthy source, high in Beta carotene; it is included in my squirrel diet. If then the same source as we have here in the US, then it is nil in oxalates.

It is high in potassium, which can spike the urine pH, which is why I limit this and other fruits daily to a Teaspoon fraction measure, rather than a chunk, and alternate also with other sources daily to provide variety in taste and nutrients also. t.

I can't find much of any info about 3/4 of the foodstuffs that they eat. Very frustrating and confusing.

Any feed back on this particular fruit would be appreciated.
    I will endeavor to do my best as my time allows. DF

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast