Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Default Re: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

The cause of gastrointestinal swelling may be due to the ingestion of ,raphide plant or fruit sources. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raphide

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...3E3.0.CO%3B2-2

These are long sharp crystals found in some plants and fruits also, that is more commonly occurring in tropical and subtropical fruits and plants. Kiwies for example is one source that contains raphides, sharp calcium oxalate crystals. Kiwi is one that is known to contain these crystals. This also not uncommon to find edible sources in tropics and subtropics jungles of Central and South America. Any food source, primarily fruit, or plant sources that contain raphides, should be eliminated from your squirrel's diets.

With plant sources that are often very high in pH, the mean urine pH can be elevated into the alkaline range above 7.0. When this happens calcium from the foods source in the form of Calcium phosphate will precipitate out in the urine into disassociated crystals that that abrade the lining of the bladder, causing some bleeding. If your diet is over 7.0 in all tests done over 2 days, then this is very likely a cause. If the diet is under 6.0 then another form of stone can form causing damage to the lining of the bladder also. My guess with the plant source you have noted is it is too high in pH. Lowering it may mean removing the alameda plant source from your squirrel's diets.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...3E3.0.CO%3B2-2

A cause of gastrointestinal swelling may be ''raphides'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raphide

These are long sharp crystals found in some plants and fruits also, that is more commonly occurring in tropical and subtropical fruits and plants. Kiwies for example is one source that contains raphides, that are sharp calcium oxalate crystals. common to Kiwi, but also found in various plants. I haven't researched this source you feed, but would encourage you to do so.

With plant sources that are often very high in pH, the mean urine pH can be elevated into the alkaline range above 7.0. Lowering it means for now removing this plant source from the diet.

Are you talking about the Almendra branches and leaves when you say ".... plant.... "?????

You mean leaves and fruit in general could be causing the bloating...... I think. Sorry..... didn't finish post.

Sorry, didn't finish editing this paragraph.

These are long sharp crystals found in some plants and fruits also, that is more commonly occurring in tropical and subtropical fruits and plants. Kiwi for example is one source that contains raphides, sharp calcium oxalate crystals. Raphides plant sources are also not uncommon in tropics and subtropics jungles of Central and South America. Any food source, primarily fruit, or plant sources that contain raphides, should be eliminated from your squirrel's diets.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RamaMama (12-23-2018)

Raphides (CaOx) naturally occurring crystals cause swelling and damage to tissues. Other plants that contain toxins are also known to cause gastrointestinal issues.

Years back I knew a person who fed kiwi, and found that their squirrel was thrusting their tongue to try to get the crystals raphides that got stuck in the tongue out. Raphides are noted to be of different lengths in different sources, and do not always cause this reaction. In the throat they can cause swelling that leads to suffocation. If you have seen your squirrels doing any tongue thrusting, it would be evidence of having consumed raphides. Potted plants in in the home that contain toxins, and high calcium oxalate content are in particular a menace to squirrels that are allowed to run free in the home.

Whether any plant sources you are presently feeding contain them does, that I don't know. Looking up some sources local to your region is what I have been doing. Knowing which plants you feed, I would encourage you to do the same. Can't say this is the cause, yet other than a diet that is too high in alkaline sources mainly from stems and leaves, I couldn't say what is causing the blood in her urine.

Raphides (CaOx) a form of Calcium oxalate crystals > > >

I have been checking out the fruits and veggies high in "...Raphides ..." and am a little confused about a few things.

Some of our local fruits and veggies I have not been able to find any info about the Raphide content. We only know the local squs
    eat them/it.

IF I can get FV both Walnuts and almonds are high....... does this mean I should no longer make Boo Balls as it is loaded with both???

Also cranberries and cranberry juice is high yet I have been told to give it to Luna for the possible UTI....... confusion here ! ! !
    Luna ONLY usually gets cranberry when she seems to have a UTI BUT>.... is this actually making it worse ? Should I or should I NOT give cranberry juice to Luna now for her possible UTI ? ? ?

Could some of this be clarified? Thanks

I understand what you are saying. The plant data is more limited than that of fruits like the kiwi, and the Star fruit which you may know as Carambola, that can shut down the kidneys of older animals resulting in death. Carambola and other fruits that grow directly from the trunk of the tree, do not feed save they are one of the rare exceptions that aren't super high to toxic in soluble oxalates. It isn't a lack of knowledge in general on the issue, causes and prevention, but a matter of not having studied the food sources in depth for Central American species due to a considerably less database in English. Moreover I have collected studies on oxalate levels in foods from all over the world, including Asia, Japan, China, Thailand, Africa, New Zealand, US. etc. yet so far having found allot on oxalates in Central America. If humans don't consume a plant source much, only animals, then there isn't likely to be much data on them oxalate wise in this region, again at least not in English.

I spent sometime yesterday afternoon looking up raphides sources in central and South America. When I find a good reference I will post it here for you.

Let us know how the search for this Acai extract available in CR goes; and hopefully when you find it to confirm or deny whether the seed is also ground up for the extract by what is noted on the label, or a phone number which you can ask about this important issue.

For nuts, pecans and English walnuts are good. Cashews, Brazil nuts, candle nuts and Almonds are noted to also contain high mg. levels of oxalates by comparison. Coconut is high in phosphorus to calcium yet near nil in oxalates. (see table in file centered on page - scroll down.

As for plant sources, many tropical sources are higher in oxalic acid than those in more temperate climates. With many more sources of tropical, and sub-tropical plants that are generally higher in oxalic acid than those found in temperate climates moreover. This is not to say that there aren't plant sources that are super high in oxalates, for their are, basically from what are weed sources.

Because the sources in your region do not have an easy chart ID to reference which is safe, and which are not, removing all tropical plants from the spaces your squirrels have access to, which aren't foods sources anyway, so that your squirrels don't end up browsing on them, is the same way to go on this issue, as we know squirrels nibble. Putting your potted plants outside won't hurt them of course, yet leaving them in your living space, where you squirrels are allowed into, may.

For reason many plant sources animals are known to consume, are not as much consumed raw by people, there is little research info on them. Going by a diet that supports a mean urine pH of 6.5, not over 7.0 is what will lend much support to healthy urinary tract health.

Let us know how the search for this Acai extract available in CR goes; and hopefully when you find it to confirm or deny whether the seed is also ground up for the extract by what is noted on the label, or a phone number which you can ask about this important issue.

I hope to be able to spend more time after the holiday to continue my search for info sources to make it easier to eliminate the good ones from the not so good ones that grow naturally in your region.

I have a theory as to what may be causing the bloating. I read that Almendra bark and leaves sap contain hexane, an anti- bacterial, anti viral source. Some sources that have these properties do well like a medication to correct imbalances, yet like ABs too much too long can result in bloating from a lack of good bacteria in the gut. Just like when AB are used to knock down bacterial infections, if pre probiotics are used concurrently they may cause digestion problems, and bloating, including diarrhea. I think this may be what has happened.

I would stop feeding Almendra bark, and leaves and refortify your squirrels gut with a good soil based bacteria. In the wild they consume bits of this and that, but when in captivity they are fed some sources of plants with consistency it may unintentionally create an imbalance. I think this is what has happened.

If you have friends that are willing to get this for your squirrel now is the time to ask for their help.

https://vitalityscience.com/product/pet-flora/

This by milligram level is marketed for cats, yet as the company told me when I asked them about its used for a smaller mammal, that this is what works for all mammals. Squirrels in particular greatly depend upon soil based bacteria to support both the reduction of oxalates in their diets, control bad bacteria, and support good digestion vital to supporting health. In using either sure reducing the amount by using a small fraction of the capsule contents is needful. (1/64) Tsp. the capsule contents daily will lend support to your squirrels intestinal tract.

Pycnogenol increases appetite, and energy levels in tree squirrels. Given in one half of 1/64 Tsp. given every three days.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origi.../dp/B00142E92I

Start with the pre probiotic source first for a week then add the PYC to the diet protocol.

Has odontoma been diagnosed by x-ray. I ask because I read that it can be misdiagnosed for a condition that is caused by:

Intestinal bacteria disorder may be hidden cause: One of the lesser known causes of diarrhea is an imbalance of bacterial in the gut, sometimes called intestinal imbalance. The digestive system contains a variety of "good" bacteria that aid digestion, and they can decline for various reasons, leading to digestive symptoms such as diarrhea. The main treatment is to eat foods containing probiotics, typically yoghurt cultures. See intestinal imbalance and probiotics.

Antibiotics often causes diarrhea: The use of antibiotics are very likely to cause some level of diarrhea in patients. The reason is that antibiotics kill off not only "bad" bacteria, but can also kill the "good" bacteria in the gut. This leads to "digestive imbalance" where there are too few remaining "good" bacteria in the digestive system. The treatment is typically to use "probiotics", such as by eating yoghurt cultures containing more of the good bacteria. See digestive imbalance and probiotics.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

TubeDriver (12-27-2018)

The source I recommend is the one in this ad, a supplement of Acai. http://www.buyacaiberryin.com/costa-rica/

This source is noted in this ad to be available over the counter in CR, no shipping, and very likely lower price locally also.

Why and extract is for reason it contains a greater concentration of 'Proanthocyanidins', the anti oxidant that works to reduce UTI occurrences.

The juice would only be a back up source, not as potent.

Be sure to check out the label for the formula to ensure it doesn't contain the seeds.

Stosh checked in the Pharmacy here but I want to try checking some of the small 'Health Sup stores" for the Acai. I looked at the product you posted, just as you posted it..... there is no way to view the back of the product to figure out if there are seeds in it. Plus if it is in Spanish not sure we would know what we were looking at unless I could 'speak' with some one who also knows English.
    If we can't find any here this next week I will see about getting some in the US. {A bit of a long wait for that }
    I will be going the last week of Jan. Hoping to bring back at least a few things for the squs.

Luna passed more "stuff" in her urine ...... it IS NOT FLESH ! Laying on her platform it looked like it was but when I took paper to it it
    was just rather a slime that became nothing. Wondering if it is "infection". It appeared rather pale beige, tan, maybe a little white in it.
    We checked her mouth for white goo to be sure she does not have candida...... well, not in her mouth.... Not sure what was in her urine.

She ate a little more today...... but I am pretty confused about what I can give her....... doing the best I can with the tiny bit of knowledge I have about this and what is available here, plus, she feels so poorly she is being SUPER picky and doesn't feel a whole lot like eating. And since I am uncertain exactly what IS going on here creates more concern and confusion.

I keep trying to give Luna HHB;s mixing and mashing it with any thing I thing/feel she might be willing to eat........ so far NADA. Even mashing it and mixing with Boo Balls she was refusing it...... but today finally did get her to take boo ball, apple both cooked and raw, a little cooked winter squash, sort of like butternut squash..... tried to find out is that has HIGH Raphides but finally gave up and just gave her a small ball of it. And some very ripe pear. ? ? ?

She has no upper teeth sooooo when I say she is chewing on Almendra branches and leaves it is nothing like a normal squ would be doing. The wilds open the medium and semi- large branches and eat the vein that runs down the center as well as other parts.... Rama used to do that as well but his upper teeth do not allow for it. He will chew on smaller branches....... I will curb them all.

They do the same with the Guasimo tree and the Guanacaste trees; branches, leaves, pods/nuts; they are naturally drawn to it esp the Guanacaste leaves and branches because they only get it on rare occasion. It has been months since they had any of those.

Praying my Luna will be well soon.....
    I am not yet in a place with her present situation to feel all will be well...... still feeling fearful.

Glad she has accepted foods from you.

I forgot to answer about the egg white, yes the white fully cooked boiled egg, cooled and chopped fine.

Egg yolk fed soft, not runny, nor hard.

I would strongly encourage you to get Pycnogenol; the liquid (from Organika) is better for treating conditions.

https://villagevitaminstore.ca/produ...uid-Pycnogenol 12.99 a bottle, but shipping to US is about 25.00.

If you get this source get more than just one bottle.

The dry extract (from Healthy Origins) has to be given every few days at one half of 1/64 Tsp. this source.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origi...00142E92I?th=1

This is a source that has really made a difference in the health of older squirrels. It was tested in rats having no toxicity issues at higher levels than the dosages used for specific conditions. The taste is pleasant, add to yogurt, or soft food like squash will work also. If she isn't crazy about yogurt, then add unsweetened (no real or artificial sugars added) applesauce.

pH testing strips can be a real life saver; identifying the problem is half the battle.

Mission testing strips is one source that includes diagnostic testing for ten issues. There are other brands a bit high in price that may offer more tests.

https://www.amazon.com/Urine-Strips-...ne+test+strips

White discharge was what we saw with our girl during her heats. It would start out with a bit of white, then thicken towards the end of her heats.. It was so thick then I had to gently help her expel it so that it wouldn't clog up her urethra. The vet gave her AB for this issue. If it were now I would use Pycnogenol instead, as this is vaginitis.

PYCNOGENOL

Pycnogenol is the brand name for an herbal extract derived from the bark of Pinus pinaster, a type of pine tree. The herb seems to have anti-inflammatory effects and antioxidant activity, and also may boost the immune system. A study published in the August 2007 issue of the "Journal of Reproductive Medicine" found Pycnogenol to be an effective alternative to gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist therapy for treating symptoms of endometriosis.
    https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/y...infection.html

Curious, what color is her urine?.

The last link I posted was just info on the topic, not a recommendation for the product source that is presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post

I would strongly encourage you to get Pycnogenol; the liquid (from Organika) is better for treating conditions.

https://villagevitaminstore.ca/produ...uid-Pycnogenol 12.99 a bottle, but shipping to US is about 25.00.

If you get this source get more than just one bottle.

The dry extract (from Healthy Origins) has to be given every few days at one half of 1/64 Tsp. this source.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origi...00142E92I?th=1

Mission testing strips is one source that includes diagnostic testing for ten issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Urine-Strips-...ne+test+strips

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/y...infection.html

Curious, what color is her urine?.
    Which of the two Pycnogenol would you recommend as best as well as more readily accepted by squs? The extract or the
    tablets??

A few times, early on, her pee looked a little pinkish, BUT that may have been due to the watermelon juice I was giving
    her....... anything to MAKE or encourage her to drink as she did not want anything. The last few days it is rather pale
    yellow to clear looking. Her vulva is still swollen although not near as HUGE as it used to become when this started
    years ago. Photo's on another Thread but would have to look back and find it.... I can IF you wish.
    Try that is.

We had ordered Urine Test Strips almost a year ago but customs confiscated them..... said we needed to fill out official papers to
    the Ministry of Health, get a Dr.' letter stating what it is, why we are getting it...... blah blah blah and pay a fee. They DO NOT
    understand that it is NOT a medicine..... and purchased over the counter in the US. And they don't care.
    Nothing like it is available here in CR.

I am going to order some and have them 'shipped' the the place I will be staying in FL....

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

Diggie's Friend (12-28-2018)

What you describe as vaginitis (fleshy to white discharge), as our veterinarian diagnosed the same in our girl, which occurred towards the end of her heats presenting at about 5 years of age. The vet prescribed an AB to address it. Thing is it never stopped occurring during the end of her every longer heats.

If ABs having worked well, or if they aren't sufficient prevent it form reoccurring, Pycnogenol, an extract from the inner living bark (cambium) layer of the Pinaster (maritime) pine has anti bacterial and anti viral compounds can be given orally. Maintenance is 2 drops from a milliliter syringe, suppliess 1 mg. One drop equals 0.5 mg. of PYC, so increasing the dose in small amounts to lend support to addressing this condition.

The dry extract from Healthy Origins costs less, yet when a squirrel isn't eating well can't be given by syringe, whereas the liquid can be. The liquid is more accurate to measure than the powder that doesn't uptake as well as the liquid. For these reasons, when caring for a sick squirrel, it would always be my first choice.

This liquid is more expensive, yet for this use is still economical. Consider getting a second bottle in view of your lack of access in CR. Not sure if the powdered could be shipped to you or not, so ask the vendor to see if they can ship outside of the US.

Since the ABs destroy not just bad bacteria, but the good also, don't forget the Pet Flora pre/probiotic, as it's essential to restoring good gut bacteria. Given daily 1/64 Tsp. not just for this condition, but for maintenance is what I recommend, and what is also used in my research squirrel diet.

https://thewholedog.com/soil-based-o...sbos-for-pets/

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Flora-100...tality+science

For dry source measures for both the Pet Flora and PYC Healthy Origins, you will need a set of mini Tsp. available on Amazon.com as is Pet Flora from Safer Medical a better deal price wise.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Food...=norpro+spoons

The mini spoons also available from Norpro on Amazon.com

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

TubeDriver (12-27-2018)

I looked for the link for the other Pet Flora source (different company same name) on Amazon, but couldn't locate it.

Here is a link to this product. https://safermedicalmt.com/product/pet-flora/

Pycnogenol helps encourage appetite also.

We had ordered Urine Test Strips almost a year ago but customs confiscated them..... said we needed to fill out official papers to
    the Ministry of Health, get a Dr.' letter stating what it is, why we are getting it...... blah blah blah and pay a fee. They DO NOT
    understand that it is NOT a medicine..... and purchased over the counter in the US. And they don't care.
    Nothing like it is available here in CR.
    That's a bummer! Can't you say it is for a pet you have, just not what the pet is?

The past two or three days Luna has been back to her happy self eating like crazy
    and very active.
    Guess she is making up for the days she did not feel up to munching.
    She has another day or two of AB's left to complete.

So happy for her feeling so great !

Thank you to all who gave advice and help.

21. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamaMama:

Diggie's Friend (12-30-2018), HRT4SQRLS (12-29-2018), Nancy in New York (12-29-2018), SammysMom (12-29-2018), Scooterzmom (12-30-2018), TubeDriver (01-02-2019)

So happy to hear this Rosie.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Scooterzmom (12-30-2018)

So glad to hear the good news! Also hoping your little girl has decided to turn a new leaf for the new year and stays healthy from now on
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My sweet Scooter, my darling Hami... YOU brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done now and you can enjoy your freedom. We'll meet at the Bridge again some day... and I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

I NEED to make Boo Balls........

which is the healthier nut....

California Almonds or English Walnuts.... so I can use the majority of healthier nut.
    IF that is possible.

What about other types of nuts...... Brazill nuts, hazelnuts ? ? ?

We have a bag of un-shelled 'nuts' and I could add a little of these other types of nuts... other than the Brazil as
    JD won't touch it and none of the others will touch Pecans. JD has to have the Boo Balls so it needs to be geared
    a little more towards his likes.
    Rama does not like any kind of nuts except CR Almendra's but loves the Boo Balls due to the FV in it.
    Luna loves almonds and will tolerate walnuts some times.

Need to get this done ASAP........... like TODAY ! ! !
    Thanks for any feedback.

I would go in this order:

Hazelnuts and almonds - both similar in terms of calcium to phosphorus ratio
    Walnuts

Don't feed Brazil nuts. They are WAY too high in selenium, which the body stores so it is a real issue. Even humans need to be very careful with them.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast