Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Default Re: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    Could an Admin please move Luna's - Thread: LUNA LAB - Klebsiella ornithinolytica - Need Med Dosing Help > >

to THIS thread..... only want to be working off of ONE if possible. Thanks !
    I just merged the Luna Lab thread with this one Rosie.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

RamaMama (05-04-2019), TubeDriver (05-04-2019)

Finally decided that I HAD to start Luna on AB's........... AGAIN !
    Cephalexin for Klebsiella in her sinus.

This morning she snorted out two huge gobs of yellow and pink...... the infection
    is getting worse and so is her struggle to breath at times. The light yellow color
    is new and concerned me more than what the mucus had been previously thus the decision
    to go ahead with the AB's. Maybe an error on my part.... don't know.
    Luna Tuna is worse in the mornings with mucus, of course, after laying on her back all night...... but once
    she is up and we clean up some of the mucus and use the saline drops she improves.
    But, when she becomes active her breathing is labored, some times more than others
    and esp when we burrito her and give her meds or clean her nose
    AND when she plays......... which she still wants to do some times. She wanted to play
    this afternoon on top of her cage for awhile. She loves chasing and rolling all around as I
    dangle a couple of napkins on and around her. She lets me know when she wants to as well
    as when she has had enough.
    She had a blast and I got to laugh and be happy for a few minutes.
    It made her breathing really labored but her joy was worth it: it was what she wanted.

I write this more or less as a form of note taking.. but if anyone is interested in how Luna Tuna
    is doing.... there it is.
    I thank every one for their help, information, advice, and caring thoughts and words.
    Some advice, or related info I am relying on to help me make some daily as well as future
    important decisions to come.
    I know some times are very rough for Luna & me & Stosh ..... but other times are Ok or good, as
    good as can be hoped for considering Luna's health circumstances.

She still has joy in her life but I know everything changes.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

Diggie's Friend (05-05-2019)

Completely reasonable to start the antibiotic. No guarantees but itís worth a try.

Iím glad to hear that she has some good times.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (05-05-2019), RamaMama (05-05-2019)

An Update.

Luna appeared to begin to respond to the AB...... but today she has a lot of bloody mucus and
    is having more difficulty breathing...... still active at times.

I gave her Ibuprofen this morning as she had been licking her legs and tummy...... I think
    from pain.......
    It is possible the Ibu may now be making her itch, this has happened a few previous times......
    she had the Ibu around 8 am and this afternoon she is scratching and biting at herself and
    flipping around ... ?

Could any one who KNOWS pain meds, and knows dosing PLEASE tell me
    what I can use for Luna.

She has been on Tramadol, not every day and extremely rarely more than once a day....
    and Ibuprofen although lately very very little.... just some times in-between the Tram.
    But I am told that the more or longer I use Tram the less effective it will become.....
    as well as side effects. {which all drug have }

Some thing called { Gabapentin } was mentioned by a squ person but not much knowledge
    about it. Not sure I can even get this.

Any other recommendations.... ? ? ?

Luna actually was up by 7 am this morn..... first time in quite a while I did not have to pull
    her out of her nest by 9 or 10 am........ maybe the AB is working but it is about time to stop.
    This is the 8th day.
    She still has mucus, but in the last few days not pink nor yellow....... white.

Luna goes UP and down...... UP and down. Good Not Good Good Bad Good Not Good.......

She remains her gentle sweet darling self.

It seemed she was really on her last days but now she seems so much better.... but always the
    issue of mucus and difficlut to breathe.... some times more than others, at times not too bad at all ........
    her sleep has been a bit more peaceful. No heaving chest, just quiet.

Advice on pain meds will be great ! Thanks

Luna has had tiny bits of liquidy blood come from her nose... such as when she got up
    this morning.....
    will Saline help heal or make it worse ?

I did use saline after I wiped her nose and there was no more blood all day as well
    as very little mucus.

Thanks for any feedback.

Saline may help to rinse out her nostrils and clear her sinus passages a bit, I don't think it will harm her. But it is very concerning that she is bleeding internally somewhere. I hope the bleeding stops soon.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (05-20-2019)

RM, Though not uncommon for nose bleeds to occur from inflamed nasal tissues, which is why PYC is a good source since it reduces inflammation, when bleeding is present it is needful to not add Pycnogenol or the Acai powder, for though neither causes bleeding, they both contain anti-inflammatory compounds that can increase bleeding caused by damage to tissues, like the lining of the nasal passages.

It is a protocol when going into surgery to stop taking NSAIDS anti inflammatory over the counter meds, for these combined with natural source can increase bleeding, the main provoker the NSAIDS, not the natural sources. If you are then giving NSAIDS for pain, be aware that they can increase bleeding.

With PYC the better of the two sources, when it appears that the bleeding has stopped, to test if it actually has, since it might be very slow and hard to tell for sure, add just one drop of the PYC to see if there is any sign of bleeding. If not, then the next day add just one non needle syringe drop again. If then no bleeding is seen, then the next day do this again, and if by afternoon no bleeding is visible, then add a 2nd drop.

Since there are a number of sources that could increase bleeding if present having similar blood thinning properties, it is best to be cautious and not include them either till the bleeding stops. I would wait to add Acai back in for the present also.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

TubeDriver (05-20-2019)

Thank you every one for your insight and comments.

I stopped giving all the squs the PYC some weeks back and stopped giving Luna any
    Ibuprofen as I noticed whenever I gave it to her within about an hour or a little
    longer she would begin to bite and scratch herself like she had gotten into itching
    powder.

Now....
    She only gets Tram off and on.....
    Saline in her one sinus.... once or more each day....
    Decon nose drops occasionally....

Just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible.

As for the bleeding..... IF any one recalls or wants to look back at this Thread :

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...er+dude+in+big

there are pix of Dude's 2nd big nose bleed...... his first I think was in OCT 2017
    while Stosh was away in NY. This was the second time he bled. We attribute this
    to the evil "O" destroying his sinus cavity and blood vessels.

Dude went to the Rainbow bridge in March.
    The bleeding is a baaaad sign, but so far Luna's is very, very mild but concerning.

Sad to think about it.

15. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamaMama:

Diggie's Friend (05-20-2019), lukaslolamaus (05-21-2019), Mel1959 (05-20-2019), Nancy in New York (05-20-2019), TubeDriver (05-20-2019)

I understand where you are.

PYC doesn't have an itching side effect; noted to be anti inching actually.

Baby Ibuprofen can cause itching. https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-7...st-sideeffects

On the next trip to the US, perhaps Stosh can get this source of vitamin B-12, which can helps to lower pain and discomfort.

https://www.amazon.com/Trace-Mineral.../dp/B01MCYXPDB

Just one needle drop from a 1 ml syringe is needed to supply a targeted dosage of (6.25 mcg.) for squirrels.

Pycnogenol is always 2 non needle syringe drops.

Just two non-needle drops daily from a (1 ml) non needle syringe, one drop added to the AM and PM meals each.

Both these sources are healing (nutraceuticals), which unlike the over the counter and prescription drugs that are hard on the liver and kidneys, have been found to support their function and healing, and lower inflammation in the tissues.

Did you also get the (30 mg.) serving bottle of the Pycnogenol capsules? If so, I would try including it when the bleeding stops, reducing the measure as follows with four divisions, by dividing the total in half, then the half in half, then that half in half, and then that half in half to get a sixteenth part of the total powder
    . This not a Teaspoon fraction measure.

Not sure you are aware that was a recall on baby ibuprofen in January, and in December of last year.

This page has a phone number that you can call, and photos of the products, etc...

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hea...profen-recall/

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

TubeDriver (05-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Not sure you are aware that was a recall on baby ibuprofen in January, and in December of last year.

This page has a phone number that you can call, and photos of the products, etc...

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hea...profen-recall/

Thanks Diggie's Friend .... I looked it up on the link.... I do not have one of these. At least that is a comfort

Yes it is!

Can we fly Dr. E to Costa Rica for a vacation?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JLM27:

RamaMama (05-24-2019), TubeDriver (06-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    Can we fly Dr. E to Costa Rica for a vacation?

This is a kind thought but considering the long term recovery and most of all the fact
    that there are NO facilities where x-rays can be taken it is impossible.

We tried to get x-rays for Dude when he began to have what we felt were serious "O" problems.......
    the ONLY Vet that has x ray is in Liberia an hour away AND more importantly,
    is NOT squirrel friendly.

So we have no options here.
    But Thank You for caring enough to mention such a project.
    Later,
    RamaMama loving and caring her babies as best she can here in CR. Stosh too.

With respect I share this.

For an x-ray, perhaps a portable unit could be used to support the Dx?

Dr. K on the Exotic Vet program used one which was small and portable. I would ask Mel to inquire about this.

I understand about the long term aspect; I recall with Squarlet having the odontoma removable procedure, though it took time,

it gave her more years of life. Again, this is also a personal choice.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RamaMama (06-04-2019)

We put saline drops in Luna's nose (one side) daily to help here keep a clear breathing passage. It works well and she often sneezes out a large "snot" ball after we put the drops in. Problem is---the bottle we brought from the USA is about gone. The LOCAL options have completely different "Main ingredients". I DO NOT want to use something that will have an adverse effect.----

Two photos of US product
    Two photos of C.R. product ingredients

Any one have knowledge of the Costa Rican product ingredients.??

Name:  saline HCL.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  85.8 KBName:  saline  bottle.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  59.2 KBName:  saline CR 0 to 3 mths.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  74.5 KBName:  saline CR 3 mths to 6 yrs.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  85.7 KB

CR---Sodium Chloride at 0.9 %

USA--Phenylephrine at 0.125 % ( MUCH lower %)

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stosh2010 from:

Diggie's Friend (06-11-2019)

Stosh and Rosie,

The USA brand actually contains an active medicine that acts as a decongestant, it is very similar to the main ingredient in Sudafed.

The CR version is genuine saline drops (ie water with some sodium).

I think for long term use, the CR version is much safer and will not have any side effects. If it works in clearing out the mucus, it is a better choice.

I would use the CR version of saline drops daily and if Luna needs some extra help occasionally then you can give the USA version (or CR version of the decongestant).

Quote Originally Posted by stosh2010 View Post
    We put saline drops in Luna's nose (one side) daily to help here keep a clear breathing passage. It works well and she often sneezes out a large "snot" ball after we put the drops in. Problem is---the bottle we brought from the USA is about gone. The LOCAL options have completely different "Main ingredients". I DO NOT want to use something that will have an adverse effect.----

Two photos of US product
    Two photos of C.R. product ingredients

Any one have knowledge of the Costa Rican product ingredients.??

Views: 34
Size:  85.8 KBName:  saline  bottle.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  59.2 KBName:  saline CR 0 to 3 mths.jpg
Size:  74.5 KBName:  saline CR 3 mths to 6 yrs.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  85.7 KB

CR---Sodium Chloride at 0.9 %

USA--Phenylephrine at 0.125 % ( MUCH lower %)

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (06-11-2019)

Please IGNORE the above message ------- correction BELOW

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
Size:  111.4 KB
    I made an ERROR the USA product bottle (photo) was correct but the box label with phenylephrine ---was from a decongestant by the same company. I looked up the salines drops on line and found that it contains the SAME ingredient as the Costa Rican product----- Both contain Sodium Chloride
    However the % is slightly different.
    CR % is 0.9
    USA % is 0.65

We only use one drop at a time ,so maybe it wont make a difference. ???

LOOKING for some input.

The CR version has a bit more sodium in it. As long as it does not irritate Luna, it should be fine (in fact it is probably better that the weaker USA version).

I made an ERROR the USA product bottle (photo) was correct but the box label with phenylephrine ---was from a decongestant by the same company. I looked up the salines drops on line and found that it contains the SAME ingredient as the Costa Rican product----- Both contain Sodium Chloride
    However the % is slightly different.
    CR % is 0.9
    USA % is 0.65

We only use one drop at a time ,so maybe it wont make a difference. ???

LOOKING for some input.

-Grateful Dead

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast