Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Default CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

I am seldom on TSB but now Luna is very ill. At first I thought it was the Endometriosis again
    which it very well may be..... vulva swollen, trying to pee all the time even tho she has nothing
    left inside her to squeeze out, and her tummy is swollen. Only things missing is she is not throwing
    up, which she usually does when the Endo flares up, and she isn't very interested the the cinnamon
    apples which she also usually scarfs during an outbreak. She is just laying in her nest box feeling really rotten.

I have to wonder IF this time it is a UTI and not the Endro....... not sure. Maybe this time it is both? ? ?
    I have been giving her Liquid Infant Ibuprofen but it expired in Sept. It has been in the fridge for months and months open.

I have another UN-opened bottle which was only stored in a cabinet. Never opened but it showed expired May 2018. Are either or both of these still viable and how long?

Which antibiotics would be best just encase I have to start her on one which would be no later than tomorrow IF I have the meds on hand The last time we were told Cipro. Is this still the best? ? Will have to look for it.
    Thanks for any feedback/info.

Default Re: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

I think the Ibuprofen should still be fine. I would think the unopened one is probably the freshest since it is unopened. It should be stored in a cool dry place but I am not sure if a fridge is really the right place?In terms of viability, it will probably slowly lose some of its potency over time after it expires but it should still be useful. Check the label and it should tell you how to store. Cipro is a really common drug for UTIs so that is probably what I would use.

Be careful about giving Ibuprofen for too long of an extended period, it can harm stomach and kidneys. 4-5 days is fine but more than a week or two and you could run into problems that could become serious. Also, try to make sure she is extra hydrated when on Ibuprofen, that is VERY important.

Luna

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    I am seldom on TSB but now Luna is very ill. At first I thought it was the Endometriosis again
    which it very well may be..... vulva swollen, trying to pee all the time even tho she has nothing
    left inside her to squeeze out, and her tummy is swollen. Only things missing is she is not throwing
    up, which she usually does when the Endo flares up, and she isn't very interested the the cinnamon
    apples which she also usually scarfs during an outbreak. She is just laying in her nest box feeling really rotten.

I have to wonder IF this time it is a UTI and not the Endro....... not sure. Maybe this time it is both? ? ?
    I have been giving her Liquid Infant Ibuprofen but it expired in Sept. It has been in the fridge for months and months open.

I have another UN-opened bottle which was only stored in a cabinet. Never opened but it showed expired May 2018. Are either or both of these still viable and how long?

Which antibiotics would be best just encase I have to start her on one which would be no later than tomorrow IF I have the meds on hand The last time we were told Cipro. Is this still the best? ? Will have to look for it.
    Thanks for any feedback/info.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Diggie's Friend (11-05-2018), HRT4SQRLS (11-05-2018), island rehabber (11-06-2018), RamaMama (11-05-2018), stosh2010 (11-06-2018)

I agree with Tube. I would use the unopened bottle. Let us know which antibiotics you have in case they are needed.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stosh2010 (11-06-2018)

I have Cipro.
    500 mg

Luna weight today:

640 grams

If some one could dose and PM me.

Luna has refused ALL liquids ALL DAY. Just will not take any.
    Only eats Boo Balls and a tiny tiny bit of spiced apple a couple of times
    Thanks

Give me a minute Rosie. I'll send dosing.

You can give her grape or watermelon for hydration if you have any.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (11-06-2018), stosh2010 (11-06-2018), TubeDriver (11-05-2018)

Luna was dosed at 8pm.

Continued to refuse liquid even refused one of her fav's, watermelon.

So, I mixed up some boo ball with water, honey, and a little coconut oil and strained it.
    She took 3 CC from the syringe.

Then mashed the watermelon, got the juice and she took 5 1'2 cc from a syringe.
    This is a touch of happiness !

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

island rehabber (11-06-2018)

Perhaps some one can direct this new TSB member and give the needed help. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    New here. Please bare with me. My squirrel was crippled when he was a baby in a tree that was cut down. Have had him since early spring. Everything worked fine except he would drag his back legs, back at tail obviously hurt as well. He is always full of energy, and climbs around the cage, and uses his wooden purches like a gymnest. He must have got his foot caught in the cage as he loves to run around the sides. He had a bad bed sore like spont on his heal. worked on it for a 2 weeks thought we were making progress. went to play with him 2 days ago and it was worse than ever, he must have got it hung again. cleaned it up put some anitbiotic on it. Went back and it was a nightmare, the foot was swollen, he was hot, and looked like he chewed his little toe off. Giving Baytril, looks scabbed over but the top of his foot is swollen again, can tell he is in pain but still active. He is feverish. Can anyone tell me how to help him with the fever, and pain. I have seen such contrations on; aspirin, ibuprofen, acedaminiphen (tylenol), metacam. Please can anyone help me help him. He is so sweet and gentle. He was a miracle. Refuse to let him down now.

I moved Annabella's post to the Energency life threatening section, a new thread called "terrible infected foot".

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

island rehabber (11-06-2018), RamaMama (11-06-2018), stosh2010 (11-06-2018)

Luna did a huge pee this morning rather than a tiny bit many many times.
    Her tummy still looks swollen.

She was up rather early, gave her two small bowls of watermelon juice and some cut up softened HHB, of which she
    ate most once she realized she was getting nothing else.
    Then she got her Ibu, and an hour later her Cipro.

After a while I let her out on top of her cage and she really scarfed some solid food.
    I took the rest away as I was concerned she might make herself sick after not eating for two days.
    She will get it shortly.

Her stool is a bit more on the yucky smelly side this morning so keeping watch on that as well. She will be remaining
    in her cage throughout today even tho she thinks she wants out.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

TubeDriver (11-06-2018)

Her stool wasn't super soft or runny...just STINKY.... and slightly larger than normal.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stosh2010 from:

TubeDriver (11-06-2018)

Both Luna and Rama have broken upper teeth on the right side. The eye on that side
    weeps, gets squinty, and on occasion has white stuff in it.

Lately their one eye has been bad and Luna has had a runny or snotty nose several times.

I am thinking they both may have a case of the Klebsiellia ornithinolytica which Dude used to
    fight all the time with his Odontoma. The most common infection where "O" is present.... so
    I am told.
    With their symptoms I believe both Rama and Luna have "O" to various degrees Luna's most l
    likely being a bit worse as her one side of sinus also bled a little one time months back.

I have the "Enrocilina AkA Enrofloxacin " used to treat Dude.

50 mg

Expired Sept 2018 - was NOT refrigerated - can it still be used?

Luna weight - 639 grms

Rama weight - 698 grms

How many days should they be on the meds - etc. ? ?

Send PM Please.

Thanks
    RamaMama

Luna Tuna is now receiving Clavamox. Hope her problem will clear up and remain so for a very long time.

Thanks for ALL help and concern.

Beginning down the same road as we did with sweet Dude.
    Not happiness.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

cava (12-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    Luna Tuna is now receiving Clavamox. Hope her problem will clear up and remain so for a very long time.

Thanks for ALL help and concern.

Luna appears to be slightly improving..... not near as much weeping from her right eye but still gets white in it.
    She still has some goo coming from her sinus and has some "squeaking" sounds in her sinus but maybe not too bad.
    I give both Luna and Rama probiotics but Luna's tummy is not happy. She is eating less.

-Grateful Dead

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RamaMama (12-16-2018)

Luna sick again !

Several days prior to Nov4th Luna had symptoms of UTI OR Endo.... on the chance that it might be a UTI she began treatment
    with Cipro in the evening of Nov. 5th. within a day she was up out of her nest box eating....... if any other info is needed go back
    through this thread. She was on Cipro for 7 days.

In Dec she had a sinus infection due to Odentoma damage we think.... dosed for 7 days with Clavamox..... she showed improvement
    but not total.

Three days ago she began the same symptoms she had in November........ she will not eat except tiny bits of cooked Oatmeal fed
    to her by hand..... she wants to pee all the time some times she passes a lot and others nothing.. .... BUT ! ! ! My question is this.....
    I have held her and when she has a spasmodic "episode" it is as if she is trying to give birth..... like she is having extremely strong intense contractions ! This is what makes her NEED or think she needs to pee over and over.

I have spent time on the Internet trying to discern the different and similar symptoms between UTI and Endo ....
    still confused although it SEEMS that Endo can cause intense contractions of the bowel ? ? ?
    Is this correct.... any one have personal knowledge about this ? ?

Sooo, is this her Endo acting up or a UTI ? ? ? I mean the last time I treated her in Nov with these same symptoms she was on the
    ABS one day when all cleared up...... NEVER EVER heard of ABS working that fast.

I am hesitant to medicate with more ABS if this is Endo as all it will do is create more health issues down the road.

Looking for thoughts before I make a choice of what to do to help her. Some times doing nothing is the best course..... BUT ! ! !

Just remembered, the first day she began to show symptoms a few days ago she had some tiny pieces of bloody flesh in the pee &
    J.D. Marx has been crazy starting just after that.... but the two may not be connected.

We had a tiny skunk in the living room on JD's cage in the middle of the night just about the same time so that might have got him started.... unsure.

I don't have any experence with this type of thing. I will say that if you see a big improvement in 1 day, it may not be the ABs that are working. Also, always do a full AB trial (5-7+ days).

Can you get cranberry juice? It might help.

-Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post

I don't have any experience with this type of thing. I will say that if you see a big improvement in 1 day, it may not be the ABs that are working. Also, always do a full AB trial (5-7+ days).

Can you get cranberry juice? It might help.
    Hi - Thank you for coming on here. I heard from another rehabber who knows about Endo.... it can lead into a UTI so I have started
    Luna on Cipro - again. Also getting her on Cranberry... had some here at the house but it was not a good kind so Stosh went to store and bought the better kind.... no High Fructose Corn syrup.

Wondering if Luna went into heat, the Endo flared and then the UTI started..... had her cage in the living room and the top covered.... usually I can let Rama out when she is in her cage and he could care less...... today he got on top of her cage and was pulling the cover
    back and trying to see where she was..... Luna did not come out.
    But I moved her cage out of the living room and Rama calmed right down... didn't try to find out where she was so maybe he is just
    jealous as I have been giving her so much attention.
    Just writing here stuff...... due to anxiety / stress.
    Later

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamaMama:

lukaslolamaus (12-23-2018), TubeDriver (12-23-2018)

So, this is what upsets me.......... I dosed Luna late morning..... maybe an hour later she is out of her nest box eating..... not a lot but
    various items. After she ate the little she did her tummy swelled really big......... ? ? ? ? but she is active and wanted to come out.

At present she is in a playroom eating almendra leaves which kill parasites and has many other health benefits. {Link below}

IS THERE ANY THING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE ? ? ? ?

Some thing feels "out of wack" NO ABS can work that fast.

I am completely stumped. and of course this has to be the Holidays.

Luna is worrying me into old age before my time.

https://globalfoodbook.com/17-awesom...ropical-almond

As per suggestions requested, Acai juice is high in anti oxidants.

Protein powdered cooked egg whites. Organic is recommended.

Egg white is considered the gold standard by which all others are measured content wise.

Though cranberry juice offers support from rehydrating, it has not been found to provide sufficient levels of (PAC) Type-A Proanthocyanidins that can counter UTI. Cranberry concentrate has a considerable greater amount of PAC for this reason, yet better still are Acai berry extract.

So, how does it work? For a UTI to occur, bacteria must adhere to and invade the lining of the bladder. Cranberries contain A-type proanthocyanidins (PACs), which interfere with the bacteria's ability to the bladder wall, reducing the likelihood of infection.
    https://www.healwithfood.org/health-...ts/berries.php

A concern with this source might be IF the extract includes the see that makes up over 80 % of the berry, that is very high in insoluble fiber, which too much an cause intestinal problems I read with this particular berry.. The berry, skin and juice, minus the seeds are fine.

I would check on whether the seed is ground up to make this extract or not.

http://www.buyacaiberryin.com/costa-rica/ (see last notation on page - sold locally in CR)

https://www.amazon.com/Biofinest-Aca.../dp/B0745BDK6M

I read sometime back that bilberries are being commercially cultivated in South American. I would also check to see for availability of this soorce that is also very high in its PAC level.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    As per suggestions requested, Acai juice is high in anti oxidants.
    Stosh is going to look for this tonight. He wants to know about Acai "tea" as in
    a bag. ? ? ?

Protein powdered cooked egg whites. Organic is recommended. This is a powder? ? Can I boil
    eggs and use the white mashed. I don't know if Luna will eat it.... she and Rama seem to hate even the smell of eggs.
    I have searched all over for Whey Protein Powder, even the GNC in Liberia, to give the babies but ALL have artificial sweeteners.

I read sometime back that bilberries are being commercially cultivated in South American. I would also check to see for availability of this soorce that is also very high in its PAC level.
    Stosh has never seen bilberrys here in any store... blueberrys yes. On occasion I have purchased blueberry jam, removed the blueberry's rinsed them and give to the squs. Maybe not the best but......... blueberries are around $8.00 for a very tiny container but we could get some if they are
    available and would help at all.

I do not like continuing Luna on the AB's as she has had Ibuprofen over the last 3 days and it did not improve her appetite after administering but I will give her the antibiotic for the next 7 days. She has been given antibiotics SOOOO many times this past year it makes me nervous that resistance is being built up as it is always the SAME symptoms and the same course of treatment.

The symptoms always seem to last 3 to 4 days then pass..... some times when not given AB's other times she has been started on
    the AB's right away. Hmmmm.....

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast