Thread: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Hybrid View

Default CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

I am seldom on TSB but now Luna is very ill. At first I thought it was the Endometriosis again
    which it very well may be..... vulva swollen, trying to pee all the time even tho she has nothing
    left inside her to squeeze out, and her tummy is swollen. Only things missing is she is not throwing
    up, which she usually does when the Endo flares up, and she isn't very interested the the cinnamon
    apples which she also usually scarfs during an outbreak. She is just laying in her nest box feeling really rotten.

I have to wonder IF this time it is a UTI and not the Endro....... not sure. Maybe this time it is both? ? ?
    I have been giving her Liquid Infant Ibuprofen but it expired in Sept. It has been in the fridge for months and months open.

I have another UN-opened bottle which was only stored in a cabinet. Never opened but it showed expired May 2018. Are either or both of these still viable and how long?

Which antibiotics would be best just encase I have to start her on one which would be no later than tomorrow IF I have the meds on hand The last time we were told Cipro. Is this still the best? ? Will have to look for it.
    Thanks for any feedback/info.

Default Re: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

I think the Ibuprofen should still be fine. I would think the unopened one is probably the freshest since it is unopened. It should be stored in a cool dry place but I am not sure if a fridge is really the right place?In terms of viability, it will probably slowly lose some of its potency over time after it expires but it should still be useful. Check the label and it should tell you how to store. Cipro is a really common drug for UTIs so that is probably what I would use.

Be careful about giving Ibuprofen for too long of an extended period, it can harm stomach and kidneys. 4-5 days is fine but more than a week or two and you could run into problems that could become serious. Also, try to make sure she is extra hydrated when on Ibuprofen, that is VERY important.

Luna

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    I am seldom on TSB but now Luna is very ill. At first I thought it was the Endometriosis again
    which it very well may be..... vulva swollen, trying to pee all the time even tho she has nothing
    left inside her to squeeze out, and her tummy is swollen. Only things missing is she is not throwing
    up, which she usually does when the Endo flares up, and she isn't very interested the the cinnamon
    apples which she also usually scarfs during an outbreak. She is just laying in her nest box feeling really rotten.

I have to wonder IF this time it is a UTI and not the Endro....... not sure. Maybe this time it is both? ? ?
    I have been giving her Liquid Infant Ibuprofen but it expired in Sept. It has been in the fridge for months and months open.

I have another UN-opened bottle which was only stored in a cabinet. Never opened but it showed expired May 2018. Are either or both of these still viable and how long?

Which antibiotics would be best just encase I have to start her on one which would be no later than tomorrow IF I have the meds on hand The last time we were told Cipro. Is this still the best? ? Will have to look for it.
    Thanks for any feedback/info.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

See the sisters Pip and Nip!
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-(Pip-and-Nip)!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Diggie's Friend (11-05-2018), HRT4SQRLS (11-05-2018), island rehabber (11-06-2018), RamaMama (11-05-2018), stosh2010 (11-06-2018)

I agree with Tube. I would use the unopened bottle. Let us know which antibiotics you have in case they are needed.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stosh2010 (11-06-2018)

I have Cipro.
    500 mg

Luna weight today:

640 grams

If some one could dose and PM me.

Luna has refused ALL liquids ALL DAY. Just will not take any.
    Only eats Boo Balls and a tiny tiny bit of spiced apple a couple of times
    Thanks

Luna was dosed at 8pm.

Continued to refuse liquid even refused one of her fav's, watermelon.

So, I mixed up some boo ball with water, honey, and a little coconut oil and strained it.
    She took 3 CC from the syringe.

Then mashed the watermelon, got the juice and she took 5 1'2 cc from a syringe.
    This is a touch of happiness !

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

island rehabber (11-06-2018)

Perhaps some one can direct this new TSB member and give the needed help. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    New here. Please bare with me. My squirrel was crippled when he was a baby in a tree that was cut down. Have had him since early spring. Everything worked fine except he would drag his back legs, back at tail obviously hurt as well. He is always full of energy, and climbs around the cage, and uses his wooden purches like a gymnest. He must have got his foot caught in the cage as he loves to run around the sides. He had a bad bed sore like spont on his heal. worked on it for a 2 weeks thought we were making progress. went to play with him 2 days ago and it was worse than ever, he must have got it hung again. cleaned it up put some anitbiotic on it. Went back and it was a nightmare, the foot was swollen, he was hot, and looked like he chewed his little toe off. Giving Baytril, looks scabbed over but the top of his foot is swollen again, can tell he is in pain but still active. He is feverish. Can anyone tell me how to help him with the fever, and pain. I have seen such contrations on; aspirin, ibuprofen, acedaminiphen (tylenol), metacam. Please can anyone help me help him. He is so sweet and gentle. He was a miracle. Refuse to let him down now.

I moved Annabella's post to the Energency life threatening section, a new thread called "terrible infected foot".

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

island rehabber (11-06-2018), RamaMama (11-06-2018), stosh2010 (11-06-2018)

Luna did a huge pee this morning rather than a tiny bit many many times.
    Her tummy still looks swollen.

She was up rather early, gave her two small bowls of watermelon juice and some cut up softened HHB, of which she
    ate most once she realized she was getting nothing else.
    Then she got her Ibu, and an hour later her Cipro.

After a while I let her out on top of her cage and she really scarfed some solid food.
    I took the rest away as I was concerned she might make herself sick after not eating for two days.
    She will get it shortly.

Her stool is a bit more on the yucky smelly side this morning so keeping watch on that as well. She will be remaining
    in her cage throughout today even tho she thinks she wants out.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

TubeDriver (11-06-2018)

Her stool wasn't super soft or runny...just STINKY.... and slightly larger than normal.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stosh2010 from:

TubeDriver (11-06-2018)

Give me a minute Rosie. I'll send dosing.

You can give her grape or watermelon for hydration if you have any.

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (11-06-2018), stosh2010 (11-06-2018), TubeDriver (11-05-2018)

Default Re: Rama Rota - The King of Costa Rica

Luna is on Cipro ... and I have been giving her Ibuprofen,

? ? ? ? ??

I was told it is OK. ? ? ?

It generally is ok but watch out for any signs of seizure. The combo can increase the risk of seizures but I think the overall risk is still fairly low.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    Luna is on Cipro ... and I have been giving her Ibuprofen,

? ? ? ? ??

I was told it is OK. ? ? ?

-Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Rosie how long has Luna been on Ibuprofen
    and how often do you give it to her, daily?
    Geeze......... I am so distressed I posted Luna's info on Rama's Thread...... SORRY !

Luna Ibu dosings as of starting on AB;s { prior to this infection was dosed 12 /20 - 12 / 21 - 12 / 22 then nothing until March 2019}

3/28 - 1 dose 8:15pm
    4 / 5 - 1 dose 3 pm
    4 / 6 - 1 dose 7:45 am
    4 / 7 - 1 dose 3 pm
    4 /12 - 1 dose 7:30pm
    4 /13 - 1 dose 8 pm
    4 / 14 - 1dose 7:30pm

Between or in loo of dosing 3 /22 thru 4/17 she would get Tram / nasil saline drops / Benedryl / gas drops on occasion / and in this time period Decongestant nose drops 3 times.

I have sent PM's to several people asking about Childrens Sudafed........ are my PM's not going throuh?

I have been advised, on good authority, to stop the Cipro and the Benedryl. Luna has been on Cipro for 18 days....
    long enough for positive results.

Hoping her body will reboot and be better. Days to come will tell.

Stosh will search for Child's Sudafed and if we can find it give Luna One drop..... see how she does.

Will continue to use the plain saline drops and Tramadol when I feel Luna really needs it.....
    mostly in the late afternoon or at night when she goes to bed........ pain makes her lick and
    lick and lick at her legs and tummy. She can't chew due to no upper teeth.
    I know she feels pain esp when she is quiet at night. My sweet baby girl.
    She is still very active and still likes to play. Wish Vets here knew about "O" surgery, they don't even
    know anything about squirrels so no reason they would know about that. Super Bummer.
    I know IF our local Vet knew how she would do. She has a huge heart.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

Nancy in New York (04-19-2019)

I found infant decongestant liquid drops without antihistamine listed from three different companies:

Dimetapp ; Triaminic ; Sudafed

Dimetapp has a version that is color free clear liquid.

http://www.medicines.org.au/files/wtcdimin.pdf

Stosh checked Pharmacys here......... the Sudafed in US is different.....

U.S. --- Sudafed ingredients: Pseudoiephedrine HCl 15 mg./5ml (teaspoon)

__________________________________________________ _____
    BELOW IS WHAT THEY HAVE HERE IN CR ---

Costa Rica product: seudofedrina sulfato 60 mg/ 5ml. ( 4 time stronger than Sudafed) ( decongestant)
    plus--- loratodina (antihistamine) 5g. / 5 ml.

CAN THIS PRODUCT BE SAFELY USED ON SQUS ? ? ? ? ?

This afternoon Luna is having TERRIBLE time "trying to breathe" and of course it gets worse laying down.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I found infant decongestant liquid drops without antihistamine listed from three different companies:

Dimetapp ; Triaminic ; Sudafed

Dimetapp has a version that is color free clear liquid.

http://www.medicines.org.au/files/wtcdimin.pdf