Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Default Re: New Lab Results - Need Dosing

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post

You could do one of two things. Treat her again with Cephalexin or Clavamox and see if it works. OR, you could use the lab report to direct treatment. In that case you would use Ciprofloxacin as both organisms are sensitive.
    I really WISH Lab Results would be able to "report" how BAD an infection is...... if it is mild or serious....

I need to ponder a bit and also get Luna weighed, then I will make a decision.

Thanks so much HRT

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    I really WISH Lab Results would be able to "report" how BAD an infection is...... if it is mild or serious....

I need to ponder a bit and also get Luna weighed, then I will make a decision.

Thanks so much HRT
    Actually, I wish the report included a quantitative. We report organisms as 1+, 2+, 3+ or 4+.
    4+ is a heavy growth of the organism. 1+ can be just a few colonies which can mean nothing.... just an part of the usual flora or a colonizer.
    When itís 4+ I am more inclined to think itís important.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RamaMama (06-30-2019)

Rosie, this is what a properly streaked culture plate looks like.

Name:  1BE1A4D9-E2F3-4067-9568-BDC8144502B3.jpeg
Views: 86
Size:  39.4 KBName:  9ADC38B3-6B1A-4302-98B4-8EBE59B0A086.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  97.9 KB

You will notice that there are 4 quadrants. If growth is in the first quadrant (A) the organism is reported as 1+.
    If growth is in the fourth quadrant (D-E) the organism is reported as 4+. The amount does matter as a few colonies in the first quadrant might be skin, respiratory or GI flora and might not be a pathogen. If the source is a typically a sterile site, growth in the 4th quadrant or even the first would definitely represent an infection.

Of course, it’s a bit more complex than this because it’s source dependent. A few colonies in the first quadrant if the source is cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) is extremely important because it should never grow. Even that can be problematic as collection of the specimen is everything. We have a saying in the lab... “garbage in = garbage out”. Collection of the specimen is critical for accurate results and interpretation isn’t as simple as growth vs no growth. If the specimen was contaminated with skin flora during collection a few colonies might represent a contaminant and not what was actually in the spinal fluid. Growth is also organism dependent. Let’s face it a few colonies of Mycobacterium tuberculosis or Neisseria gonorrheae IS significant. If you have TB one colony is enough to diagnose.

SO, the point I wanted to make is that interpretation of cultures is complex. Just because an organism grows doesn’t make it a pathogen.

PS... the red Petri dish above would be reported as 4+ Staphylococcus aureus.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

RamaMama (06-30-2019), TubeDriver (07-02-2019)

Rosie, this is what a properly streaked culture plate looks like.

Name:  1BE1A4D9-E2F3-4067-9568-BDC8144502B3.jpeg
Views: 86
Size:  39.4 KBName:  9ADC38B3-6B1A-4302-98B4-8EBE59B0A086.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  97.9 KB

You will notice that there are 4 quadrants. If growth is in the first quadrant (A) the organism is reported as 1+.
    If growth is in the fourth quadrant (D-E) the organism is reported as 4+. The amount does matter as a few colonies in the first quadrant might be skin, respiratory or GI flora and might not be a pathogen. If the source is a typically a sterile site, growth in the 4th quadrant or even the first would definitely represent an infection.

Of course, itís a bit more complex than this because itís source dependent. A few colonies in the first quadrant if the source is cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) is extremely important because it should never grow. Even that can be problematic as collection of the specimen is everything. We have a saying in the lab... ďgarbage in = garbage outĒ. Collection of the specimen is critical for accurate results and interpretation isnít as simple as growth vs no growth. If the specimen was contaminated with skin flora during collection a few colonies might represent a contaminant and not what was actually in the spinal fluid. Growth is also organism dependent. Letís face it a few colonies of Mycobacterium tuberculosis or Neisseria gonorrheae IS significant. If you have TB one colony is enough to diagnose.

SO, the point I wanted to make is that interpretation of cultures is complex. Just because an organism grows doesnít make it a pathogen.

PS... the red Petri dish above would be reported as 4+ Staphylococcus aureus.
    I actually understand what you are saying { was always excellent in 'science' } and for me I am quite PISSED that the Lab is not more precise with their written results ......
    I am still pondering on which med........ I just don't know which IS the stronger pathogen..... which is making her feel so bad.... which one is the priority.....

One thing I am pondering: so, from one of your statements, the Kleb in Luna's mouth should/would NOT make the lumps and sores, nor the white goo ?
    Correct ?

One decision made: Tomorrow Stosh will get another Candida mouth test kit from Vet....
    Will take test that afternoon or following morning.......... it will take AT LEAST 3 WEEKS for
    the results..

by Monday afternoon or Tues morn I will decide which AB to start Luna on for bacteria ..........

When the racehorses got sore mouths one trainer I worked for would put myrrh in the mouth. I think it has some antibacterial qualities? Different kind of sore, but if myrrh isn't toxic to squirrels it might soothe, heal, protect. Tincture of myrrh probably available at health food stores or maybe drugstores?

BTW the culture plate explanation was fascinating.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RamaMama (06-30-2019)

Rosie, why donít you save yourself some money and ask for a Fungal smear/KOH prep for Candida instead of a culture. It is a microscopic exam for yeast. It is a VERY simple test. You can see yeast under the microscope very easily. You donít need to wait for a culture. The reason a Fungal culture is held for weeks (we held ours 4 weeks) is because there are slow growing Molds. A yeast will grow in a day or two so it doesnít need the prolonged incubation. Just guessing, I think a Fungal culture would be expensive because youíre typically culturing for molds. A yeast is a fungus just like a mold is so yeasts and molds are reported on Fungal cultures.

A smear (microscopic exam) would be cheaper and faster.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (07-11-2019), RamaMama (07-01-2019)

Luna's Fungal test is at the Lab....

Going to try the
    Clavamox for her Kleb & ecoli

Luna weight - 606 grams

Hoping for the best...... both her mouth and her sinus are making her VERY uncomfortable ! !

IF it is thought this is not the BEST CHOICE - please speak UP ! !

Luna's Fungal test is at the Lab....

Going to try the
    Clavamox for her Kleb & ecoli

Luna weight - 606 grams

Hoping for the best...... both her mouth and her sinus are making her VERY uncomfortable ! !

IF it is thought this is not the BEST CHOICE - please speak UP ! !
    CLAVAMOX IS 500MG per Pill

Dosing sent

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (07-02-2019), RamaMama (07-01-2019), TubeDriver (07-02-2019)

Dosing sent
    Luna has received her first dose of Clavamox.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

Nancy in New York (07-02-2019)

Info

http://www.differencebetween.net/sci...nd-klebsiella/

Treatment for E. coli and Klebsiella (in humans)

E. coli: The patient is advised to rest and drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. In some cases, antibiotics can be applied to shorten the course of the disease.

Klebsiella: Multiple drug resistance is characteristic for Klebsiella. Cephalosporins, aminoglycosides, and chloramphenicol are used to treat the infection. Most strains are resistant to ampicillin.

Read more: Difference Between E. Coli and Klebsiella | Difference Between http://www.differencebetween.net/sci...#ixzz5sUYKQtIT

http://www.antimicrobe.org/b107.asp

Klebsiella oxytoca

Antibiotic susceptibilities and treatment guidelines for K. oxytoca are virtually identical to those for K. pneumoniae. Outcomes are very similar to K. pneumoniae. The mortality rate at 14 days of K. oxytoca bacteremia was 21% (145). It is not known if serious infections with K. oxytoca hyperproducing the K1 enzyme can be safely treated with ceftazidime.

Pycnogenol

Pine resins derivatives have been shown to inhibit Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, E. faecalis and Klebsiella pneumoniae. The resin has also shown antifungal activity against Mucor racemosus, Syncephalastrum racemosum and Rhizopus stolonifer. These are yeasts that can wreak havoc with infections.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Nancy in New York (07-02-2019), RamaMama (07-02-2019)

Ratguide http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm

See notation on Gentamicin (aminoglycoside).

See notations on Chloramphenicols.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RamaMama (07-02-2019)

I gave Luna her morning Clav around 7:30am........ her second dose was given around 3:30pm today
    just before her last meal of the day before she heads to bed.........

Is is alright to give the doses this close together ? ? ? Otherwise she gets it around 8pm with no food,
    just a small snack of cooked squash.... { I take her out at 7:30 - 8:00 pm to clean the mucus from her
    nose one last time and let her pee...... cause she goes to "bed" so early.

Dosing OKAY ?? ??

I gave Luna her morning Clav around 7:30am........ her second dose was given around 3:30pm today
    just before her last meal of the day before she heads to bed.........

Is is alright to give the doses this close together ? ? ? Otherwise she gets it around 8pm with no food,
    just a small snack of cooked squash.... { I take her out at 7:30 - 8:00 pm to clean the mucus from her
    nose one last time and let her pee...... cause she goes to "bed" so early.

Dosing OKAY ?? ??
    Thatís fine Rosie.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RamaMama (07-02-2019)

I just thought I’d mention that a couple of the drugs on your lists stand out to me as ones I know Dr. E uses for squirrels with nasal/mouth infections. They are amikacin and tobramycin. She will use them in conjunction with each other, and along with other antibiotics.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (07-03-2019), RamaMama (07-03-2019)

We had sent another "swab mouth test" to the Lab........ AND rather than doing a test for fungus {which Stosh was clear on } they did another Bacteria culture......
    I AM SOOO PISSED ! !

I waited to start Luna on the AB's just so I could take the swab and figured that once I got those results
    back and posted here I would ask if Admin could

Please combine this Thread to the end of Luna's Health thread > > > Link Below

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ght=luna+needs

Since it will be awhile before I can get another swab I ask this Thread to now be connected to the end of Luna Needs Help Thread link posted above.

Thanks so much.
    See every one there when needs be.

Default Re: CR's LUNA TUNA NEEDS HELP

Luna has been on Clavamox for 5 days......... she is not showing any improvement..... how long should
    I continue to administer and watch for improvement ? ? ? ?

Two more days......... 4 ? ? ?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213