Thread: Baby fed colostrum formula not thriving

Default Baby fed colostrum formula not thriving

First off-I did not feed the colostrum formula to this baby! But I now have her in my care since last evening around 7PM. She was very cold and lethargic and had some clicking. Age is from 4-5 weeks. Has upper and lower teeth, eyes open and is able to climb and is fighting being fed. I am feeding boiled 100% cows milk and heavy whipping cream (1C + 4T) and alternating with plain Pedialyte. Since she only eats such small amounts (.5cc-1cc) I have been trying to feed her every 30 mins to 1 hour. I need help! IM WILLING TO TRY ANYTHING!

Default Re: Baby fed colostrum formula not thriving

Is she still clicking? Is she lethargic?

Clicking, lethargy and loss of appetite are symptoms of Aspiration Pneumonia (A) and if she has AP she will need antibiotics ASAP. It can kill in a matter of hours and if she has been clicking since yesterday, time is of the essence. This is the number one killer of baby squirrels being cared for by humans.

If you have any antibiotics on hand, tell us what you have. If not, start calling neighbors, family and friends. Best is Cipro which is the human form or Baytril winch is the animal version. Also Augmentin which is the human form, Clavamox is the animal form. If you find something else, post what you found and someone will advise if it has potential for treating AP.

Can you weigh her as well?

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (11-03-2018), Nancy in New York (02-22-2019)

We want to deal with the potential issue of Aspiration Pneumonia as the first priority. After that, this information should be helpful.

Stop the cow's milk. That is bad for squirrels. Never feed a cold squirrel, she needs a heat source like a heating pad set on low.

The correct formula is Esbilac puppy milk, the powdered version and not the premixed liquid (I know it seems weird, but they are not the same). Don't let the store talk you into anything else saying they are the same: They are not all the same and the Esbilac is the one that meets a squirrels needs best. Others almost always cause diarrhea and this baby cannot afford to get diarrhea. I will post a picture of this formula. Tractor Supply stores and large pet stores usually carry this brand.

In absence of Esbilac, you can use the temporary Goat's Milk formula:
    3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Here is a link to a 6 page long primer on the basics of baby squirrel care:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

Name:  CorrectEsbilac.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  149.9 KB

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

cava (11-03-2018)

Weight 120.6 grams. I listened and had sister confirm, Not clicking now. But there was some intermittent clicking last night. She is retaining body heat better than she was. I don't want to keep her off heating pad very long. I have her set up so she can move to the heat or away from it with soft flannel layers and large strips of the flannel as bedding. She does move herself. She has had a good pee and poo about 30 mins ago. No diarrhea. I am about an hour from my house where I do have antibiotics but can't remember the names. but I know they're not the ones you mentioned. What about using fish antibiotics?

I am an hour away from home and have the esbilac powder. I have read so much conflicting information on the correct formula to use but have had success with esbilac. Boiled milk and cream was used since no stores had esbilac powder where I am now. Will be able to feed esbilac shortly when I reach my home.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Weight 120.6 grams. I listened and had sister confirm, Not clicking now. But there was some intermittent clicking last night. She is retaining body heat better than she was. I don't want to keep her off heating pad very long. I have her set up so she can move to the heat or away from it with soft flannel layers and large strips of the flannel as bedding. She does move herself. She has had a good pee and poo about 30 mins ago. No diarrhea. I am about an hour from my house where I do have antibiotics but can't remember the names. but I know they're not the ones you mentioned. What about using fish antibiotics?

Usually it is a constant clicking with each breath. Watch for lethargy and loss of appetite.

Yes to some versions of fish antibiotics.. Fish Flox is Cipro and the preferred med for treating AP. Fish Doxy can work, albeit more slowly (and never, ever use this beyond it's expiration as it does become actually toxic). Fish Mox is not very good, but we'd use as a Hail Mary attempt while trying to find more suitable meds. When you figure what is at home, we can advise if they will work if they become necessary.

Please read the other information in my post, and the 6 pages on Henry's about squirrel care then ask any questions you have.

of helping this baby and to TSB! Let's get this baby on the right track!

She is sleeping curled in a ball, not straight out like she was when I got her. When I pick her up to stimulate or feed she pushes and twists away from syringe and when I put her next to my skin she crawls to back of my neck and goes to sleep. I don't want to force her to eat in fear of aspiration. So I put her back in box and try again in a bit.

I am an hour away from home and have the esbilac powder. I have read so much conflicting information on the correct formula to use but have had success with esbilac. Boiled milk and cream was used since no stores had esbilac powder where I am now. Will be able to feed esbilac shortly when I reach my home.

The Internet can be confusing I know. Esbilac had changed their formula years ago with disastrous results for baby squirrels but changed back several years ago, so they are the "go to" formula for squirrels from birth to eyes open (and even beyond).

There are sites recommending boiled milk but it is not a good choice and as many if not more babies die being fed this than survive. Then there is the dreaded scalded milk site but it is terrible advice that has cost hundreds if not thousands of baby squirrel's their life!

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

SammysMom (11-04-2018), stepnstone (11-03-2018)

She is sleeping curled in a ball, not straight out like she was when I got her. When I pick her up to stimulate or feed she pushes and twists away from syringe and when I put her next to my skin she crawls to back of my neck and goes to sleep. I don't want to force her to eat in fear of aspiration. So I put her back in box and try again in a bit.
    She should not get the boiled milk, if that is what you are feeding.

If she is dehydrated, she'll need to be given pedialyte or water until she is hydrated. A dehydrated baby should not be fed formula; hydration first.

Pinch the skin on the back of her neck and release: if it stays "tented" for several seconds that is a sign of dehydration. The skin should NOT stay tented in a well hydrated baby.
    Last edited by Spanky; 11-03-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Inserted "NOT" to clarify / correct

I think spanky means to say the skin will not stay tented in a hydrated baby! It can be hard to tell if they have loose skin. Just watch to see how fast it goes down, it should take one second and not more. If it takes longer than one second to go down, she is not hydrated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I did for my baby girl and she has been thriving. Please get that baby warm and hydrated before you feed her! And get her the right formula please

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelDad from:

Spanky (11-03-2018)

She was dehydrated so I gave her Pedialyte and she took in 2 cc's which is the most I've been able to get in her at any feeding. I went ahead and mixed up some formula watered down, not full-strength, and she took 1 cc of that an hour after the Pedialyte. just one hour after the initial Pedialyte her dehydration had improved significantly. my brother-in-law is a veterinarian and is supplying me with some Baytril. She's not clicking when she breathes she's just sleeping and takes her a little bit when I get her up to eat to really start moving around. She's not out of the woods by any means but she is better. If anything changes I will let you know thank you for all your help

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SweetPea from:

SquirrelDad (11-03-2018)

Good morning. I wanted to give you an update on Mom's Lucky Charm (Lucky). I have been up all night feeding her every 2 hrs. She was very dehydrated so I gave her Pedialyte. At first it was hard to get her to take 1C. But she took 3cc of Pedialyte just 15 mins ago. And 1C formula. She was all over me climbing and giving little kisses and between the Pedialyte and formula She gave me one good bite on my thumb. She is still sleeping A lot and is very very bony. I need to put some meat on her bones. Yesterday at noon she weighed 120.6 grams. I will weigh her again in a couple hours since she just ate.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SweetPea:

Sottinger (11-04-2018), SquirrelDad (11-04-2018)

Now that she is hydrated, you can begin to transition her to full strength formula over the next few feedings to get those calories into her. If you feel she needs added hydration, give it between formula feedings (not in place of) to continue nutrition. After around 24 hours total of pedialyte and once hydrated, switch to water for hydration...she doesn't need the added salt after that.
    When I have to give water in between feedings and nobody wants to drink it, I put a tad of formula in with it to "trick" them.

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Now that she is hydrated, you can begin to transition her to full strength formula over the next few feedings to get those calories into her. If you feel she needs added hydration, give it between formula feedings (not in place of) to continue nutrition. After around 24 hours total of pedialyte and once hydrated, switch to water for hydration...she doesn't need the added salt after that.
    When I have to give water in between feedings and nobody wants to drink it, I put a tad of formula in with it to "trick" them.
    Thank you. I was wondering if I should stop the Pedialyte. I will stop the Pedialyte and switch to plain water. If, I see she is dehydrated again do I need to give her Pedialyte or water between feedings?

MOM'S LUCKY CHARM UPDATE

Weight yesterday was 120.6 grams. I weighed her again today, just before her 2 o'clock feeding, and she weighs...

DRUMROLL PLEASE...

141.75 GRAMS!!!!! That's a weight gain of 21.15 grams! I was so happy to see she had gained and not lost weig ht. She is no longer lethargic and I haven't heard clicking since Friday night when I got her. She loves Pedialyte and actually prefers it over the formula. she's probably going to be mad when I take her off the Pedialyte but she will adjust. She is very alert at feeding time wanting to climb around on me. She loves to snuggle up and gives little kisses. She takes herself off the heat and she's too hot and when I take her out to feeder she stays warm to the touch. I know she's still at risk but I'm optimistic she'll pull through. all I can do is the best that I can and pray. Right now my main concern is keeping her hydrated and putting some meat on her bones. it would be helpful if someone could possibly help me figure out just how old she is. Here in Arkansas the babies should be getting ready to leave the nest and Mom preparing to have another litter. So to have a baby that appears to be so young to me seems odd. She has her upper and lower front teeth and her eyes have been open for about 4 or 5 days. She is a good little climber and moves quickly. She's not walking very well and crawls mostly. I am attaching a picture of her. I placed a penny next to her head to better show how small she is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Eyes open at 5 weeks so that tells you. She is beautiful and will be very happy when she gets full strength formula.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Yes, it's been quite some time since I have an update. Lucky is a healthy, small whitlwind of actiity! She is the light if my life and I love her dearly! She is constantly in motion and is into anything that she finds interesting. Opens containers, steals anything she can carry and is the sweetest little furbaby ever! I am blessed with kisses and ear nibbles daily. She doesn't bite but still thinks I was put here as her personal tree. I wouldn't have it any other way.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SweetPea from:

SquirrelDad (03-18-2019)

Sounds like you did a great job Momma!

We would love to see a picture of your sweetie.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator