Thread: Emergency thread for Nikki

Default Emergency thread for Nikki

Hello my name is Nikki,
    Sorry to post to your thread, but I am desperate and in need of help. I read that you have enrooxacin, I think that my baby Is developing pneumonia and I was wondering how to go about getting some antibiotics. I am a licensed rehabbers but the LSU vet does not want to give me a prescription. He said that I need to drop her there and will not get it back. Please advise when you get a chance. I pray your baby makes it through this!
    Thank you!

Default Re: Help! Approx. 12 week woke up snuffling, sneezing, wheezing.

Nikki, I'm not an Admin so I can't move your post to a new thread but I will start a thread for you and you can post there.

Default Emergency thread for Nikki

NIkki, I will send a link to this thread so that you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by nikki View Post
    Hello my name is Nikki,
    Sorry to post to your thread, but I am desperate and in need of help. I read that you have enrooxacin, I think that my baby Is developing pneumonia and I was wondering how to go about getting some antibiotics. I am a licensed rehabbers but the LSU vet does not want to give me a prescription. He said that I need to drop her there and will not get it back. Please advise when you get a chance. I pray your baby makes it through this!
    Thank you!

Nikki, here is a link to your thread.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...07#post1281107

Later, admins can clean up the threads.

Default Re: Emergency thread for Nikki

Nikki, do you have ANY antibiotics? What are the symptoms. How old is the baby?

Thank you! Can you please tell me where is it that you have ordered the antibiotics from?
    Greatly appreciated!

I only have Ciprofloxacin for humans. It is not a baby it is 7 year old we had her since she was a pinkie. Our dog brought it home in its mouth. She is missing her right paw, and does not see well with one eye. Also have a big gash on her neck due to the dog playing with her. Her nose is stuffed up and I begun the heat the dreaded clicking this morning. She ate a bit, but she does not have any energy
    Please help!
    Thanks!

Thank you! Can you please tell me where is it that you have ordered the antibiotics from?
    Greatly appreciated!
    We can talk about ordering antibiotics later. If the baby has aspiration pneumonia you won't have time to order them. You need an AB today. Do you have ANY left over antibiotics? Ask friends and family.

I'm confused, if you are a licensed rehabber, vets that see wildlife should give you antibiotics without a hassle. It's the unlicensed people that have a problem.

I only have Ciprofloxacin for humans. It is not a baby it is 7 year old we had her since she was a pinkie. Our dog brought it home in its mouth. She is missing her right paw, and does not see well with one eye. Also have a big gash on her neck due to the dog playing with her. Her nose is stuffed up and I begun the heat the dreaded clicking this morning. She ate a bit, but she does not have any energy
    Please help!
    Thanks!
    Oh, this changes everything. A 7 year old. Let me make sure I understand. The gash was in the past right?

These are new respiratory symptoms?

I had begun to hear the clicking this morning. Her breathing is labored as well
    The gash on her neck happened when the dog found her 7years ago. No issues now due to that
    Sorry I am posting from my phone and Soto correct is speaking for me.
    Thanks!

This is a very important question. Have you noticed ANY stuffy nose, red or weepy eye or other respiratory issues in the past few months?

I saw a while back a bit of a white discharge from her right eye. I just wipes away with camomile tea

The white tears are a sign of pain. The reason that was an important question is because respiratory issues in older squirrels is often teeth related. Squirrel teeth will sometimes grow backwards at the root. It's caused by a variety of things. It is called odontoma. The bony growth will grow into the sinus cavity and occlude the nasal passages. The symptoms are respiratory, weepy eye, stop chewing hard things like inshell nuts and slowing of the eating due to pain.

I can't say unequivocally that this is odontoma. It could very well be JUST a respiratory infection. We can dose the Ciprofloxacin that you have BUT if this is a tooth issue the Ciprofloxacin won't help much. It might help a little. The only way to definitively diagnose it is an X-ray. For an odontoma I would use Clavamox (Augmentin). Odontoma are associated with infection, pain and inflammation. The Clavamox would be a much better antibiotic if it's tooth related.

Do you have a weight of your squirrel? I need a weight and the mg of the Cipro tablet to dose it.

500 mg Cipro. Her weight is about 1 pound. I do not have any other antibiotics but this one can someone send me something better and I will gladly reimburse them for it and shipping?
    Thank you!

I have augmenting too I think is 825-125 on the label

I will send dosing for both but I would use the Augmentin first. You can always add the Cipro in a day or two.
    I will send dosing in a Private Message.

Dosing sent.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (11-03-2018), SammysMom (11-03-2018), stepnstone (11-03-2018)

Thank you so much. Any tips on how to give it to her. She will not take it. Can you give me the name of the vet in Florida please just in case it is a tooth issue
    So greatly appreciated !!!

Thank you so much. Any tips on how to give it to her. She will not take it. Can you give me the name of the vet in Florida please just in case it is a tooth issue
    So greatly appreciated !!!

No, she definitely won't 'take' it. You have to pull the dose into a syringe and blast it into the corner of her mouth.... just like you would a cat. You might need to burrito her (wrap her in fleece to secure the arms and legs.)

IF this is tooth related, the FL vet that specializes in odontoma surgery is...

https://ravenwoodvet.net (Dr. Alicia Emerson)

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Spanky (11-03-2018)