Thread: White fungus spreading 6 wk squirrel

Sky Guest

Default White fungus spreading 6 wk squirrel

Hello!
    I have been rehabbing this baby since he was just a week old and i thought we were in the clear, he was doing so great! But all of a sudden he started getting this white fungus or something under his arms, chest and belly. I have no idea what it is! I have been wiping it with diluted bentadine but I’m not sure what else to do. What could it be? Please help Name:  04961459-78A0-41B4-9DAF-6ABF2312BF74.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  66.2 KBName:  62890AA9-420E-40FE-A0EB-CE3493720D08.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  54.8 KBName:  9A5E47BF-80C4-4960-9744-BE8D41E9864B.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  63.4 KB

Default Re: White fungus spreading 6 wk squirrel

are you sure its fungus to me it looks like ant bites.. could that be possible.. those little bugger can get anywhere..also can you get or do you have silvadine? that will clear up lots of skin stuff..

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jbtartell from:

Sky Guest

I don’t know what it is no ants here, he’s in a plastic container and i change the clothes he snuggles up in often. I’ll look for some tomorrow, thank you

you can get it at vets office or from a regular dr.. like I said the stuff is good.. I try to keep it around lol.. I hope this helps you. thes little guys come up with something to keep us on our toes but that's what we do hu..lol

Sky Guest

Unhappy Re: White fungus spreading 6 wk squirrel

I’m really worried! More appear every time i look it seems. I can’t find anything about it online and it’s never happened before with any of the animals I’ve rehabbed or at the clinics i volunteer at. I’m reaching out hoping to get an answer for this. Has anyone experienced this? Please help!

I don't want to be an alarmist, but my concern would be pox. I know these look tiny, smaller than what we would normally see - on an adult anyway - but that is exactly it... since this is a baby, I wonder if that could be the start of it. These things look suspiciously like little pustules.

Once broken open, they spread their content elsewhere on the body, and more appear.

I would hope others might chime in as I'm no expert on treating pox.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Are they little puss filled pockets? Pimple like? I am not a squirrel expert but I am A licensed Veterinary Nurse. Not sure If I can see the extent from the pictures but they appear to be small pustuals similar to pimples?

Sky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyGhetto View Post
    Are they little puss filled pockets? Pimple like? I am not a squirrel expert but I am A licensed Veterinary Nurse. Not sure If I can see the extent from the pictures but they appear to be small pustuals similar to pimples?
    Yeah that’s exactly it, almost like white heads. Any suggestions? I’m freaking out now, i hope it isn’t pox. But pox seems to be red bumps from what I’ve seen researching. . Name:  46629257-FD0A-4FC7-B760-2C0C240342A4.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  208.3 KB

Yes that's why I asked about ant bites.. cause of the white pimple look.. or maybe flea.. but ants can get in anywhere.. I have to take precautions to keep them out. they may smell milk anything and they come in.. not saying that is it but I would check around just to be sure.. and it is in the warm skin areas.. I hope you can figure it out and get the meds. it helps with all sorts of skin stuff also cuts and all.. also for now if you have dial soap the orange kind you can just wet it a little and put some on your finger and rub it on the spots that will dry them out and kill bacteria.. I have done this before also it wont hurt the baby..

I don't believe this is pox.

While I have not seen or treated anything like this, it seems like maybe a yeast or thrush type infection? I am thinking treatment with lotrimin cream or monistat cream or maybe hydrogen peroxide (just thinking you may have this on hand but not the others). I'd prefer try the creams before the peroxide and even then I would dilute the peroxide (1 tsp in a cup of water).

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Scooterzmom (10-31-2018)

the soap will help if it is fungus also... I would not think it was milk burn from what I can see of baby I don't see it anywhere else.. even milk burn will clear up with the soap.. just throwing it out there ..

dial soap has an antibacterial in it and it dries out the skin.. soo it will heal and dry it out.. my daughter uses it for pimples and I use it for everything.. if nothing else it would be clean and under control till u get meds or figure it out just put it on the infected area and leave it on don't rinse or wipe off till it is being cleaned and redone or healed.. just something to try for now may clear up and not need any meds and u should see a difference in a day or 2.. if not or it is worse may need the silvadine or vet visit..

Just in case this is bacterial, I would start looking for antibiotics now. Try to find Clavamox, Clindamycin or Trimethoprim/Sulfamethoxazole.

If this blows up you don't want to be scrambling for antibiotics at the last minute when it's a crisis.

16. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (10-31-2018), Grinderhead (10-31-2018), Scooterzmom (10-31-2018), Spanky (10-31-2018), stepnstone (10-31-2018)

Sky Guest

Name:  445DCEB2-18FC-4CFA-852D-2D16995A0ED3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  146.1 KB

I vote pyoderma.

So from what I see, Cephalexin and Clavamox, and they seem to like Chlorhexadrine for the topical stuff.

Google "pyoderma" and see if the pics don't look like this.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (10-31-2018), island rehabber (10-31-2018), stepnstone (10-31-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I vote pyoderma.

So from what I see, Cephalexin and Clavamox, and they seem to like Chlorhexadrine for the topical stuff.

Google "pyoderma" and see if the pics don't look like this.
    Word of Caution....Don't google if you have a weak stomach. (also NSFW as a penis showed up on my screen at work)

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TamiKakes from:

island rehabber (10-31-2018)

Agree -- pyoderma.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.