Thread: Paralyzed squirrel

Kris1231 Guest

Default Paralyzed squirrel

I could really use some help please! I have been rehabbing squirrels for a few years now with much success thankfully, however this past year in August got a call for one who had fallen. Unfortunately after seeing a vet it was determined he had fractured his spine. He will never be able to be released however he does really well getting around and climbing but has little use of his rear end and legs. My issue now is providing him with the proper housing, quality of life and personal care. Ideally I am desperately trying to find out if anyone makes wheelchairs for him. He is on soft material bedding now, getting cleaned daily, has enrichment toys and gets out a lot. Loves gliding through the house everywhere and dragging himself up my legs lol....I am noticing though some redness now which I knew was going to happen. I need some suggestions as to what I could wrap around him possibly or any suggestions at all for his well being. Thank you!!
    Kris

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kris1231 from:

SammysMom (10-30-2018)

Default Re: Paralyzed squirrel

Hi Kris,
    There is a member here who can manufacture a "scoot" or which is like a Scottish kilt for squirrels that will eliminate or reduce dragging sores. It actually might be more functional in some ways than a wheelchair. I will contact her and see if she can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris1231 View Post
    I could really use some help please! I have been rehabbing squirrels for a few years now with much success thankfully, however this past year in August got a call for one who had fallen. Unfortunately after seeing a vet it was determined he had fractured his spine. He will never be able to be released however he does really well getting around and climbing but has little use of his rear end and legs. My issue now is providing him with the proper housing, quality of life and personal care. Ideally I am desperately trying to find out if anyone makes wheelchairs for him. He is on soft material bedding now, getting cleaned daily, has enrichment toys and gets out a lot. Loves gliding through the house everywhere and dragging himself up my legs lol....I am noticing though some redness now which I knew was going to happen. I need some suggestions as to what I could wrap around him possibly or any suggestions at all for his well being. Thank you!!
    Kris
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

cava (10-30-2018), SammysMom (10-30-2018)

Yes, stick around - we have several members with paralyzed squirrels who can offer all sorts of advise.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

SammysMom (10-30-2018)

Kris1231 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Hi Kris,
    There is a member here who can manufacture a "scoot" or which is like a Scottish kilt for squirrels that will eliminate or reduce dragging sores. It actually might be more functional in some ways than a wheelchair. I will contact her and see if she can help.
    Thank you so much!!!

Kris1231 Guest

Thank you so much

Kris1231 Guest

Thank you so much

Let me know how I can help. I have a paralyzed squirrel. Scooter has been paralyzed since he was 5 weeks old. He has no idea he’s not a 100% able bodied squirrel—and in many ways he IS. He can scoot as fast as any squirrel can run, he can climb and jump. Scooter gets terrible drag sores without a “skute”. It’s like an apron that velcros around your squirrel’s wasp waist. The legs ride in the apron and are protected from scrapes and bumps. It’s not a 100% fix. It DOES come off or in Scooter’s case, he chews it off if left to his own devices. I will be happy to make a skute for your baby or if you need one NOW, I can email a tutorial for making one (just need your email). It is in several chapters—file is too big to send in one piece. A paralyzed squirrel can live a wonderful life with some attention to details.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

TubeDriver (10-31-2018)

Kris1231 Guest

That would be amazing if you would make me a couple. Let me know what I owe you for them. Also would love to talk to you at some point. What kind is cage set up do you have. I usually keep my in a double ferret cage before pre release but now with this guy I want to make sure I get the best one to help him. FYI his name is scooter too! We just recently started calling him Scootch because of how he gets around.
    Kris

I need measurements: waist above hips. Measure relatively tight. Then from waist to beyond toes. If you send your email I can send the tutorial too. The “skute isn’t foolproof but it gives freedom of movement and leg protection for our para guys. Scooter is in the penthouse of a double Ferrett Nation. His cube sits on a shelf. It’s made with a door low and wide to accomodate his legs. The walls are lined in fleece with places he can look out and the front bars are woven with fleece strips to minimize legs bumping on the bars. The bottom is double padded either with a noodle rug or folded fleece. Shelf has a fleece shelf cover. The ramp is also covered and the cover ties on so it doesn’s slip down. He has toys but no sticks other than those intended for chewing. Scooter gets frequent baths to minimize urine scald and to keep his legs clean. I put salt or baking soda in his bath water to clean and sanitize without soap.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Spanky (10-31-2018)

Kris1231 Guest

Ok I will measure today and send you the info. I’m really concerned about his cage situation. I have fleece padding in there on the wire cage. I have one large branch for him to sit or hang on but he’s always climbing across the bars dangling from them. He doesn’t seem to be bothered by it but I feel awful. I want to make sure he has the best quality of life I can give him. Feeling frustrated

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.