Thread: CA Rehabber

Red face CA Rehabber

Just letting everyone know I am a Ca based rehabber, specializing in both ground and tree squirrels. Our organization, Tri County Wildlife, covers San Juaquin, Calaveras and Amador counties.

Our hotline is 209-283-3245 with an answering service, or you can call me directly at 510-862-3417.

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to teddyflory:

cava (10-30-2018), Diggie's Friend (10-30-2018), HRT4SQRLS (10-30-2018), island rehabber (10-30-2018), Nancy in New York (10-30-2018)

Default Re: CA Rehabber

Thanks SO much Teddy. We don't have a lot of contacts in Ca. When people from your state reach out to us for help we are usually limited to online help. Many times we can guide people along with helping their own squirrel but just as often when experienced resources or vets are needed we can't offer much.

Just to get an idea of the help that you would be willing to offer, I assume we could refer squirrel finders to you for intake and rehab.? Here is a question for consideration. It's a bit controversial. We are quite familiar with wildlife laws that restrict the possession of wildlife to licensed rehabbers and centers for the purpose of rehab and release. With that said, we are also aware that there are squirrels that do live in the homes of people all across this country.... undercover, so to speak.

Would you be open to a person like that contacting you in an emergency? Of course, if it's something you wouldn't be comfortable with we totally understand. Just so that you can understand where we come from, we would never want to refer someone to a place that would confiscate and euthanize a beloved pet. We have read nightmares of people turning beloved (healthy) pets over to centers only to have them euthanized. We don't encourage pet ownership of squirrels. We actually discourage it but we aren't naive enough to think that people don't have them. On TSB, we don't distinguish between pet squirrels or wild squirrels as far as our willingness to help. We help all finders/owners irregardless of their status.

Thanks for any help you can offer. We're glad to have you. Actually, we are delighted. 🙂 Rehabbers are very few and far between in your state.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (10-30-2018), Mel1959 (10-31-2018), Nancy in New York (10-30-2018)

And in addition to that, I know that many places have issues with eastern gray and fox squirrels there and will only rehab the western grays. That would be good info for us as well.

Looks like you are covering a big chunk of area northeast of San Francisco?

Yes my primary goal is always to get them in to a Wildlife rehabber, even if it’s a rehabber in a different area, but when people make the decision to try to raise one themselves I am willing to be a resource for questions or concerns etc.
    I am aware multiple rehab centers in CA euthanize non-native squirrels but we have decided that any wildlife brought to us will have an equal opportunity at rehabilitation regardless of it being native- non-native. We rehab western and eastern gray tree squirrels, Fox squirrels, Douglas tree squirrels, flying squirrels, chipmunks, and all species of ground squirrel.
    We do cover quite a bit of territory and have taken in squirrels from other groups, or in situations when no one else responds. I am willing to take on long term patients as well as re-wildling and orphaned/injured squirrels. I will try to give the best advice I can, but the area that is still quite gray is with vets. Most vets that we work with in our counties will only treat the wildlife that is in our care, and would likely require owners to hand over their pets to us. In those cases it may be at the discretion of each vet and is always a risk.

Happy to be of any help!
    Teddy

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to teddyflory:

cava (10-30-2018), Diggie's Friend (11-06-2018), HRT4SQRLS (10-30-2018), Nancy in New York (10-30-2018)

AMG! I had to google image a Douglas Tree Squirrel and I want one in my life!!! (living in my tree out front of course) just to squee at that adorableness all day!!!

Thanks Teddy. We feel the same way as you. We are always willing to help no matter the situation or the type of animal. This is a board of squirrel lovers but we also help with other wildlife as well. The board is made up of both licensed rehabbers and also non-licensed people that just love squirrels.

We understand the situation with vet care. We encounter that in most states so we are are very happy when we find those few vets and rehabbers that will help out with an animal in need. Welcome aboard. We are delighted to have you as part of our nutty family.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (11-03-2018), Mel1959 (10-31-2018), Nancy in New York (10-30-2018)