Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby squirrel vomiting

Default Re: Baby squirrel vomiting

Also, just in case you are unaware, don't give pedilyte for long periods of time- I believe its 24 hours- after that it should be just water.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TamiKakes from:

Nancy in New York (10-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TamiKakes View Post
    Also, just in case you are unaware, don't give pedilyte for long periods of time- I believe its 24 hours- after that it should be just water.
    This is normally true, but for this baby who has had diarrhea, anorexia and is very dehydrated, poster may need to do it longer than 24 hours. Frequent updates and photos will help determine if baby is hydrated enough to begin diluted formula (made with water) and begin transitioning to a normal feeding schedule.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Nancy in New York (10-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    This is normally true, but for this baby who has had diarrhea, anorexia and is very dehydrated, poster may need to do it longer than 24 hours. Frequent updates and photos will help determine if baby is hydrated enough to begin diluted formula (made with water) and begin transitioning to a normal feeding schedule.
    Thank you for the clarification Cava.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TamiKakes:

cava (10-30-2018), Nancy in New York (10-30-2018)

How can you not get crazy attached to these creatures? After sleeping for a while in my lap, she went to devour the syringe. She was biting it. 3ml Pedialyte in seconds. She's back. I'll start her on 1/4 dilution next meal.

Now, I'm pretty sure she'll be back on track. But whatever caused the problem is probably still there and it will show up again. She had a total of 3 episodes of diarrhea coupled with anorexia since she's with me. Quite similar, about 36h of not touching food or water.

There's something either in the environment of my house, or in food or water or something I do.

I'm still not even sure about the age, she was injured when she was found. She might be well behind the schedule.

I'll keep you posted.

Thank you so much everybody here for help.

She's out of emergency zone now but not out of danger.

Or should I keep her off formula a bit longer? Her appetite is fully back. She just cried for me 30 min later an got another 3ml of Pedialyte. She's not happy with the watery thing, she's searching around for something better. Life's tough.

I have someone who might be able to help, but they are an hour and a half from you.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

cava (10-30-2018), Nancy in New York (10-31-2018), Spanky (11-01-2018)

That's good, if it's trustworthy. Can you pm me?

I found a good, safe person less than an hour from you and you told her no? You have been saying you need help and I know that baby needs help. I really cant believe you told her that you are doing fine.

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

cava (11-01-2018), Spanky (11-01-2018), stepnstone (11-01-2018), TamiKakes (11-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dvictor View Post
    This is a wonderful offer from Sammysmom and the person she found to help; SM would not recommend anyone that was not first rate. And this will benefit your baby tremendously. She is way behind... eyes opening at 66 grams is far from the norm; that is less than half the weight she should have been when she first opened her eyes (especially for hearty northern greys in IL). this baby would benefit tremendously from an experienced caretaker to get her caught up, strong and ready for a successful release. She'll need to be over-wintered before release, and over-wintering is very difficult even for the most experienced squirrel rehabbers (the squirrels get cabin fever for lack of a better analogy).

I know you are attached right now and baby squirrels very adorable. But squirrels do not make god pets. As they mature, they become more wild and less like a playful kitten. They are one-person animals and almost always present a threat to anyone but their one person and even then they often viciously attack that person for the smallest reasons: Fresh from the shower or even right after brushing your teeth can do it. They can have a toy or food hidden in their bed and go bezerk if they even think you are after their "treasure". TSB is filled with stories of those that did not heed the experience of others tried to share.

I appreciate all you have done for her and I know you have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience along the way. And that is good because squirrels in need always seem to find you again after you have invested yourself like you have with this little one. The good news is that you will be much better prepared when that day arrives (and I am certain it will). Lord knows we need more compassionate people in the world (especially the ones that care for squirrels!). But the best thing for this little one is a more experienced squirrel person. I know it is hard, but please consider what is best for the squirrel.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (11-05-2018), TamiKakes (11-01-2018)

:Sad
    Anyone have a feeling she is going to disappear from the board thinking shes being bashed?
    I have this gut feeling thats what is going to happen and my heart hurts.

Hi Dvictor,
    You have been working really hard with this baby and we appreciate that you have been reaching out for help. Some babies are fairy easy to raise (ok, not really, they are all require endless work and care around the clock but some don't have any real issues and things go smoothly) and some babies present with issues. The babies with issues can be VERY tricky to raise successfully. This little one just has not thrived for whatever reason. This could be from AP, there could be internal parasites, there could be some other reason that requires extra care and flexibility in terms of alternative formulas, antibiotics and/or antiparasitics, extremely careful feeding etc etc etc. If there is one thing that I have learned over the years I have worked with squirrels is that if you can get the help of someone with more experience, take it! We will continue to help you as best as we can but if a REALLY experienced squirrel people like SammysMom suggests a local person with squirrel experience, it is because she is putting the little squirrels interests above all else. If this little one can not gain weight continuously without these vomiting/decreased appetite issues, another set of experienced hands may make the difference and could save her life! So please keep working with us and also consider accepting some local help!

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Nancy in New York (11-05-2018)

The squirrel is doing good now. Fully recovered.
    She's eating blocks (teklad 2018) and I started her on greens.
    Last meal she took 7.5ml of formula. Stool is back to normal.

She's a happy little one. Climbing trees, playing with toys.

She might not spend the winter with me. I knew the implications from the first day.
    If any issues arrive, I know where to go, I won't be alone anymore. It's a good feeling.

Attachment 306249

Attachment 306251

Anyone have a feeling she is going to disappear from the board thinking shes being bashed?
    But whatever caused the problem is probably still there and it will show up again.
    She had a total of 3 episodes of diarrhea coupled with anorexia since she's with me.
    Quite similar, about 36h of not touching food or water.
    There's something either in the environment of my house, or in food or water or something I do.
    I'm still not even sure about the age, she was injured when she was found. She might be well behind the schedule.
    I'll keep you posted. Thank you so much everybody here for help.
    She's out of emergency zone now but not out of danger.
    All red flags!
    An experienced rehabilatator knows the dangers and the ramifications.
    Attempting to get this squirrel into experienced hands is not "bashing!"
    It's trying to put the welfare of the squirrel first to ensure it's survival
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

kcassidy (11-05-2018), Nancy in New York (11-05-2018)

Yes

Dvictor, we are here to help you and will continue to do this but this is the TSB which means we put the welfare of the squirrel above much else. So please remember that if our recommendations seem harsh or personal, it is NOT. It is just the best practices from our accumulated group experience which has rescued, treated, raised and released thousands of squirrels over the years. I hope your little one gets better and thrives but if another episode occurs, your little one could be running out of time.

Yes
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Nancy in New York (11-05-2018)

Yes

Dvictor saw reason and brought this baby to the rehabber I found near him. She is vomiting and has diarrhea and really needs prayers. She is in good hands and I am very glad that Victor brought her to help.

27. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

island rehabber (11-05-2018), kcassidy (11-05-2018), Nancy in New York (11-05-2018), Spanky (11-05-2018), stepnstone (11-04-2018), TubeDriver (11-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Dvictor saw reason and brought this baby to the rehabber I found near him. She is vomiting and has diarrhea and really needs prayers. She is in good hands and I am very glad that Victor brought her to help.
    Prayers for this baby...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (11-05-2018), Nancy in New York (11-05-2018), SammysMom (11-04-2018)

This post has bothered me since I read it. I have to point out that there was no bashing at all. Pointing out that the baby needed help and then finding help was anything but bashing.
    I am here to help squirrels and if toes get squashed occasionally, too bad.

31. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

island rehabber (11-05-2018), kcassidy (11-05-2018), Nancy in New York (11-05-2018), Scooterzmom (11-05-2018), SquirrelDad (11-05-2018), stepnstone (11-04-2018), TubeDriver (11-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    This post has bothered me since I read it. I have to point out that there was no bashing at all. Pointing out that the baby needed help and then finding help was anything but bashing.
    I am here to help squirrels and if toes get squashed occasionally, too bad.

33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

SammysMom (11-05-2018), Scooterzmom (11-05-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast