Thread: Diarrhea help needed

Default Diarrhea help needed

13 week old Squirrel
    Diet is primarily Henry's Hi Protein blocks
    She gets broccoli, snap peas, a bit of apple and a fee different veggies every day. She has constant access to maple and apple branches.

Today she is having diarrhea, that looks yellowish brown. It looks somewhat stringy, for lack of a better word... almost like mushed up banana.

Yesterday, she got banana for the first time, as well as a small cabbage leaf from my garden. Is that what could have caused it? She is acting fine, although she is periodically dragging her behind and it is very wet.

Default Re: Diarrhea help needed

First things first- a 13 week old should only be consuming ONE Henrys block a day as it is very high in vitamins. Main source of food should be a quality rodent block like harlan teklad, Muzurri, ect. formulated for Rats. with Veggies and some fruits.

Here is a link to the healthy diet to follow for squirrels
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by TamiKakes View Post
    First things first- a 13 week old should only be consuming ONE Henrys block a day as it is very high in vitamins. Main source of food should be a quality rodent block like harlan teklad, Muzurri, ect. formulated for Rats. with Veggies and some fruits.

Here is a link to the healthy diet to follow for squirrels
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    It says on the bag 2-3 blocks a day, and I believe ahe usually consumes one block or so and stashes the other. I'm sorry if I am misguided. She has been getting 2 bkocks a day for over a month now. Should I only give her one? She is a Grey.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No, you are good to giver her the 2 or 3 blocks each day as recommended. I think when you said her diet was "primarily henry's block" it led us to believe she was getting a lot of blocks.

How much banana did she each?

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (10-29-2018), TubeDriver (10-29-2018)

i would only give 1 since the 2-3 is for adults.
    Also, I would try and find any that she may have stashed. since they are made fresh when order is placed, they are parishable, which is why they have you freeze them. They will get moldy if sitting out too long.

I was just worried when you said diet is primarily consisted of the blocks and the veggies being thrown in there as well.

Will she still take formula at all? from syringe or bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    No, you are good to giver her the 2 or 3 blocks each day as recommended. I think when you said her diet was "primarily henry's block" it led us to believe she was getting a lot of blocks.

How much banana did she each?
    Disregard my comment about only giving one- Spanky knows better than I.

Spanky. would you suggest to still look for any that she may have stashed away for mold issues?

I'm not sure how much banana she got, as my husband was the one who gave it to her, but I think he most likely gave her a piece larger than what she should have had.

Also I did check her food caches, and she has no blocks in them. So she must've eaten them all rather recently as she typically only has 2-3 in her caches at any given time.

Any way to remedy the diarrhea? or should I just watch her?

Regularly cleaning out stashes is a good idea! Old food can go bad and food caches can lead to behavioral issues with squirrels. Just don't clean them out in front of the squirrel!

Disregard my comment about only giving one- Spanky knows better than I.

Spanky. would you suggest to still look for any that she may have stashed away for mold issues?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

i would only give 1 since the 2-3 is for adults.
    Also, I would try and find any that she may have stashed. since they are made fresh when order is placed, they are parishable, which is why they have you freeze them. They will get moldy if sitting out too long.

I was just worried when you said diet is primarily consisted of the blocks and the veggies being thrown in there as well.

Will she still take formula at all? from syringe or bowl?

I've tried to offer her Fox Valley 20/50 but she'll no longer take it. She seems uninterested.

Quote Originally Posted by adkgirl16 View Post
    I've tried to offer her Fox Valley 20/50 but she'll no longer take it. She seems uninterested.
    Did you offer in a syringe or a bowl?
    Mine weaned herself off out of no where from the syringe. one day she was all about it and the next 3 days she would not take it at all.

a few days later I offered it to her in a bowl and she gobbles it down. super sad cause it's like a baby weaning from a bottle....i miss that intimate time feeding her.

You can give a drop of pepto bismol or kaopectate, that will treat the symptoms but not the cause. So if this was too much banana, then this may clear it up. If it does not, there is most likely a different problem causing the diarrhea.

You can also try canned pumpkin (plain canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling!).

How much pepto should I give her? Just a drop on my finger?

Did you offer in a syringe or a bowl?
    Mine weaned herself off out of no where from the syringe. one day she was all about it and the next 3 days she would not take it at all.

a few days later I offered it to her in a bowl and she gobbles it down. super sad cause it's like a baby weaning from a bottle....i miss that intimate time feeding her.

I offered it in both bowl and syringe. She still refuses it.

Quote Originally Posted by adkgirl16 View Post
    How much pepto should I give her? Just a drop on my finger?

Yes, just a drop or two. You may need to squirt it into her mouth (cheek) with a syringe. If you are not aware, the pepto will turn her stool very dark for a short period of time... mentioning just so you don't get alarmed if this happens.