Thread: Antibiotic for absess/Odontoma

Default Antibiotic for absess/Odontoma

My little guy has a puffed left cheek, noticeable, since Saturday . He is in obvious pain and his behavior has me very concerned. It is interesting that the fur sticks out on his left cheek making it look much more puffed up, but when I palpitate it, I can't feel a large pus filled area, but he reacts with a moan indicating it hurts him. I am thinking it may be just in the beginning stages. I have an appointment with a vet today at 1:30 pm EST. I respect the advice so much from those on this site that I would like to know if there is an antibiotic that seems to be more effective or is safer for an adult squirrel. He is about 8 years old. Thank you very much for any input. I hope I am not offending anyone by posting in the life threatening section but I know these little guys can go down so quickly, so my level of concern is at it's highest.

Default Re: Antibiotic for absess

He is going to need to have his teeth checked - an abscess there is very often related to a bad tooth which may require extraction. If he has not done tooth extraction in a squirrel you need to reach out to us and perhaps we can help with another vet.

No med alone will help this. The abscess needs to be drained, and the reason for the abscess - either a bad tooth or perhaps something that got poked in there and is still inside the cheek causing the infection - needs to be rectified first.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stuffs2936 (11-26-2018)

Thank you CritterMom. I was suspecting and at the same time fearing it might be tooth related. His lower incisors seemed to be gone or truncated at the last examination. It could be one of those. I will know at my appointment whether the vet will be able to check or extract any tooth issue. I don't think it is a foreign object in his cheek. I am located near Frederick Md. I don't have a high level of confidence for this issue with the other vets I know in this area. Today's vet is very straight forward. If he is uncomfortable with teeth issues I do believe he will tell me. Regardless, I think this little guy will need to be started on an antibiotic. That is why I am asking if there is one that is used commonly with squirrels as I suspect his experience is somewhat limited with these guys. I am sure if there is abscess he will drain it. If you know of any vets that are proficient with teeth, I would be very grateful. Thank you again so much.

Make certain that that do a head X-ray. This could be odontoma.

Antibiotics that will help (but not cure) if it is ... Clavamox and Clindamycin.

Don't let him give you Baytril... worthless for this source.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stuffs2936 (11-26-2018)

Given HRT's comment I am extremely concerned. Recognizing the lower incisors are not outwardly present, might very well point to the odontoma condition. I will know more later after the vet appointment. Suggestions for a vet proficient and confident with managing this situation near Maryland would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffs2936 View Post
    Given HRT's comment I am extremely concerned. Recognizing the lower incisors are not outwardly present, might very well point to the odontoma condition. I will know more later after the vet appointment. Suggestions for a vet proficient and confident with managing this situation near Maryland would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Sending pm.....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

CritterMom (11-26-2018), Grinderhead (11-26-2018), HRT4SQRLS (11-26-2018), Nancy in New York (11-26-2018)

Default Re: Antibiotic for absess/Odontoma

Please update....
    I would like to ask that you continue to update to this /your orignal thread.
    We have many member that are knowledgeable to this condition and could share their experience on care and concerns.
    Each situation when dealing with odontoma is a learning experience for us all.

I added to your subject matter to include the word odontoma for clarification on condition.

Also added a few links that would be of interest to you as well as your reading through the experience and questions of others can be helpful.

Post#1. - https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ry-an-Overview

Video: Post#4.

Edit:
    I have been in contact with OP with this situation & doctor referral, pm sent asking to update orignal post.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Nancy in New York (12-01-2018), stuffs2936 (12-01-2018)

A few notes on this. CriterMom was absolutely correct that an abscess needs to be opened as verified by an experienced wildlife vet. Antibiotics alone would be inadequate. As it turns out though it was not outwardly obvious at my first vet visit. I am noting this because there was no obvious soft puffy area found by palpitation. So after my first visit it was uncertain whether we were dealing with an abscess. With my little guy's rapidly deteriorating condition refusing to eat prompted me to get to a vet that I knew had much wildlife experience. He strongly suspected an abscess. Opening it up released a large amount of puss. I will add that this procedure did not come without a close call. As my vet opened this abscess up, puss flooded outward and alarmingly inward into the mouth cavity. Under anesthesia this could have been a catastrophe. Thankfully, he was prepared to quickly evacuated the area to prevent aspiration. This is a lesson that even what would appear as the simplest of procedures should be performed by with someone with a high level of experience to handle the unforeseen.

Bactrim was his choice for followup antibiotic. Relieving the abscess was almost immediately noticeable in my little guys overall behavior. I had thought he was going down and out. It was like the rock of Gibraltar lifted off of his shoulders. The wound is being kept open allowing continuing draining as the infection is brought under control. I am using a saline flush to assist this procedure, followed with Neosporin on the wound area.

I would like to thank all for there input including CritterMom, HRT4SQRLS, and especially Stepnstone. Having such a great resource as this Squirrel Board is a true blessing and lifesaver. I thank you for your dedication to helping our little friends and those who love them so much.

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stuffs2936:

Clare (09-27-2020), Nancy in New York (12-01-2018), SammysMom (12-01-2018), stepnstone (12-01-2018)

I am so relieved to hear this. I guess my post on the other thread should have been here instead. An abscess of this size could be a primary issue and not infection secondary to odontoma. The odontoma could be an incidental finding and not a problem at all. I bet all the symptoms will resolve when this infection in conquered.
    This is a case where an abscess might be a 'good' thing.