Thread: 9wk squirrel with distended abdomen and possible back injury

aetienn6 Guest

Unhappy 9wk squirrel with distended abdomen and possible back injury

I've had a squirrel for almost a month now. He recently has taken to chasing me whenever I left a room (I would let him roam free at least one a day on our enclosed porch). The door shut on some part of his body 3 days ago. Since then he's been dragging his hind legs (though I've noticed some movement in the right leg when he's laying down). Anyway just now I looked and the left side of his belly is visibly large and firm. Like someone put a grape under his skin. He is also pooping more than normal. Like 8 pellets in a couple of hours (firm and dark brown in color). Does anyone know what might be going in and how I can help? His behavior also seems normal for him, like I don't see any signs of pain and appetite is normal.

Default Re: 9wk squirrel with distended abdomen and possible back injury

Are you sure he was injured by the door? Also, what is his diet?
    The reason I ask is because low calcium in the diet will cause them to lose control of the hind end. It's a condition called Metabolic Bone Disease. With this condition they will drag the hind end. It is treatable. It is usually caused by feeding an abundance of nuts and seeds.

Let us know about the diet and we can advise regarding treatment if it is indicated.

The lump in the abdomen wouldn't be related to MBD though.

aetienn6 Guest

Thanks for replying. I'm positive he got hit by the door. There was yelping and then he was flailing around for about a minute then he stopped moving his hind legs. Abdomen lump looks bluish today so I wonder if its some sort of bruise? I notice some movements in his hindlegs and that seems to be increasing so I wonder if he's getting better. Still unable to bear weight on the hindlegs though. His diet is still formula mostly and he'll eat bananas and some local berries. He doesn't seem to like much else though. Won't eat peanuts. I was thinking of trying those bird seed mixes but I read somewhere that was bad for squirrels. Will take any advice on diet you can give as well as how I can help with his injury.

Can you post a picture of the lump?

how hard did the door close on him? I hope he keeps improving on movement in his legs sometimes muscle trauma does this but do u have a vet to take him to for xrays.. he will need that if he doesn't improve.. also medicam will help with pain and swelling.. you can get this at vet office. the not may be muscle tightness, picture would help if you could post it.. if he isn't getting better best to go get xrays and see what you are dealing with.. also squirrels deal with pain different.. they don't show it till it is too bad..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.