Thread: Found a young injured grey squirrel

Silver Guest

Exclamation Found a young injured grey squirrel

My cat attacked a young grey squirrel and brung it the house. It doesn’t appear to be full grown, but is fully furred so doesn’t appear super young, either. My mom found the squirrel and said it was seizing (from shock or injury, I don’t know). I breed reptiles, so I always have lots of extra tubs on hand. I set it up in a clean tub and gave it a soft pillow case and a small bowl of water for the night. I put it in an unheated tub since my room is at least 75 degrees and I didn’t want to overhead it, but I can move it to a heated tub if needed. The heated tubs have a hot side of 90 degrees.

At the moment, I am leaving it alone and trying to make it comfortable. I am waiting to see if it makes it through the night before doing anything else. I did not see any blood on the squirrel, but I know it could have internal injuries. If it makes it through the night, I’d like advice on what to do. I am in Gallipolis, Ohio and do not know of any rehabilitators near me. I am willing to take care of it. I have experience with bottle feeding premature chihuahua puppies who’s mom refused to care for them.

Default Re: Found a young injured grey squirrel

Can you put an old fleece in and put the tub half on a heating pad set on low? Can you post a picture to help determine age?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

I hope someone know where a rehabber is close to you as cat bites can be deadly due to the bacteria in their mouths.. if you have a heating pad that don't cut off put it on low under half of the container. 90 degrees is to hot.. hope someone here can help you with meds and or find some help in your area..can you post a picture of him so we can better help with what and how to feed? so sorry I could not help more I will defiantly pray for you and the baby..

Here's what we need to help you.

A photo.

A weight (in grams) on baby so we can help determine his age, what you should feed and to dose antibiotics.

What human or animal antibiotics you have on hand so we can help you dose appropriate meds for cat caught babies.

https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Nancy in New York (10-26-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.