Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MBD Help!

Default Re: MBD Help!

Quote Originally Posted by emma19 View Post
    Thank you! Do you know if we should reduce the calcium intake if his urine is turning white?
    Can you show us a picture of his urine. Did I tell you how much I love foxers. What is his name? Thank you for your willingness to learn.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

emma19 (10-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Calcium is excreted in the feces. If you see them turning a whitish color then that is a warning sign. Never heard of urine turning white. But of course I do not know everything.
    His feces is also turning white (not totally yet, but whiter than normal). Does that mean we should reduce the calcium?

I read about the white urine here: https://www.henryspets.com/emergency-treatment-for-mbd/

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Can you show us a picture of his urine. Did I tell you how much I love foxers. What is his name? Thank you for your willingness to learn.
    I will try to take a picture next time it happens. His name is Ollie and we love him so much already. Our biggest concern is he won't seem to drink the puppy formula (with or without the calcium in it). As I mentioned above he's always been resistant to drinking from a bottle or syringe, he bit my husband today when he was trying to feed him. We're scared he won't take in enough calcium to fight this. Any tips on getting him to drink are appreciated!

Thank you!!

Ok, kidneys extrete calcium also. I think that because he is quite young he needs way less. Let me find the thread that talks about this. Be right back.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

emma19 (10-22-2018)

I will try to take a picture next time it happens. His name is Ollie and we love him so much already. Our biggest concern is he won't seem to drink the puppy formula (with or without the calcium in it). As I mentioned above he's always been resistant to drinking from a bottle or syringe, he bit my husband today when he was trying to feed him. We're scared he won't take in enough calcium to fight this. Any tips on getting him to drink are appreciated!

Thank you!!
    Try offering it in his usual water dish or bottle?

Thank you!!
    You might not be able to get him to drink, but hopefully we can. We have a secret weapon. It is called the burrito. Take a piece of fleece out shirt and wrap around him with his front feet tucked in. Put some formula in his mouth and see if he will drink it down. Take away allllllllll nuts and seeds and fruit. He will get hungry. Eating two to three hhb's will be great. See if that helps. Yes, at this age he has some teeth, so watch out for them. Put a hanging water bottle in his cage so he can learn to drink from that.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Is the urine is white, like powdered white calcium, or clear like glass lacking any color at all?

If you try the formula and the burrito suggestion, remember to hold him so
    he is upright and NOT laying on his back.
    Always point the syringe up towards the roof of his mouth.
    Sometimes they will take the syringe without the nipple.
    Just go slow.
    Good luck with your little one.

Emma,

I think you need to cut your dose in half for right now. I know that the protocol that is listed is for an adult squirrel. I also know the person who realized that is a TSB member, a nurse and a phenom of a rehabber. Let's get this straight for you. Sorry we did not catch this sooner.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

cava (10-23-2018), emma19 (10-22-2018)

Thank you! He hasn't had much today and we'll reduce it going forward to 250 mg. I think that's one rodent block so hopefully we can get him to just eat one!

I had to get new syringes due to my babies chewing the tips off, so I bought some clean, smooth white stones from the pet store and added them into the bottom of a shallow butter dish and poured the warm formula over the top. They went right to it with no problem. They just lick it up and I pour more in til' they are done. Don't leave it in there for too long, it will get old and spoiled pretty fast. If you have a hard time with him taking the syringe you could try this. (I also add a tiny bit of full fat vanilla yogurt to the formula and they seem to love-love it!)

My babies are also 10 weeks and 12 weeks....

Name:  milk bath.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  102.3 KB

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to dr3am from:

redwuff (10-22-2018)

Earlier in the thread there was discussion about prednisone in case there was a fall involved. You would not want to use prednisone when treating for MBD. Prednisone will lower serum calcium levels and you definitely don't want to do that.

17. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

emma19 (10-23-2018), island rehabber (10-23-2018), Nancy in New York (10-23-2018), stepnstone (10-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Earlier in the thread there was discussion about prednisone in case there was a fall involved. You would not want to use prednisone when treating for MBD. Prednisone will lower serum calcium levels and you definitely don't want to do that.

Have only ever used prednisone for spinal injury, did not know that!
    Thank you for that information Hrt!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

HRT4SQRLS (10-23-2018), Nancy in New York (10-23-2018)

Our poor guy still can't move his rear legs 6 days later. They do twitch and move sometimes but he doesn't seem to have control of him. We are wondering how long we should wait and if this is humane for us to keep him going. He seems happy when we cuddle and pet him but the rest of the day he is mostly laying there and we're worried he's in pain and miserable. Does anyone know any rehabbers in Colorado (or Utah, Nebraska, Wyoming, Kansas, or New Mexico) that would be able to at least look at him and assess him? We don't want him to be in pain if he can't recover.

Also, he is excreting the calcium in both his urine and feces. His urine leaves a white stain now. We're reducing the intake but not sure whether that is a bad sign, too.

Emma there are many threads on here that have squirrels that have lived long and purposeful lives with rear end paralysis. Look in the special needs section. You would have a lot of support concerning this issue.

As far as excreting the calcium in urine and feces, I would keep decreasing the calcium till he does not have calcium in his excretion. Too much also causes problems.

I do not know how long it will take to see if his hind end usage changes. I actually have never heard of a squirrellosing function in all four limbs.

If you are not up to taking on this baby for his life, let's see if he can be placed.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

cava (10-26-2018), emma19 (10-28-2018)

Emma, can you show us a picture of him now? Does he appear in pain?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Redwuff, doesn't MBD usually start improving pretty quickly? Would you think it's possible it's an injury instead now that nearly a week has passed? That's what went through my mind anyway when I read this just based on other threads I've read.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

emma19 (10-28-2018)

My boy came in couldn't use back legs then he started twitching feet in about a week I had him on medicam and in 2 wks he was moving them and walking and in 3 wks he was all over... soo I would stop preds and get him on some medicam.. which will work for swelling and pain.. sounds like muscular trauma to me.. I would also stop the calcium.. keep hydrated fed and give medicam.. twitching is good... I deal with these babies a lot and even some adults..

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jbtartell from:

Sottinger (10-26-2018)

A paralyzed squirrel can lead a wonderful life IF you are willing to give it to him. He’s like any squirrel—curious, playful, energetic, contrary, excited to explore his environment and crrrrrrrazy! He’ll need some adaptive cageing and opportunities to explore and break boundaries. My Scooter is older now and a little more content to be in his “houz” watching over his domaine but he still loves scoot time and can scoot as fast as any squirrel. He does get drag sores and his legs and boy parts are protected by a “skute” (leg protector that I can make for you if your baby needs it) when he’s out. He needs baths to keep him clean as he’s incontenint. He takes some time and commitment but is absolutely worth it. He is first and foremost my friend—my family. I sincerely hope he’s the longest lived squirrel on the planet but however long I’m blessed to have him in my life. Don’t give up on your little guy or think he’ll have no life as a “kept” squirrel. He CAN have the BEST life of any squirrel

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Cesta (10-28-2018)

Thank you, how do I get medicam? He seems much happier now but still won’t willingly move his back legs. It has only been one week but not seeing much improvement there. They do respond when pinched and so does his tail. Does anyone know any Colorado rehabbers we could take him to just to get their assessment?

Quote Originally Posted by jbtartell View Post
    My boy came in couldn't use back legs then he started twitching feet in about a week I had him on medicam and in 2 wks he was moving them and walking and in 3 wks he was all over... soo I would stop preds and get him on some medicam.. which will work for swelling and pain.. sounds like muscular trauma to me.. I would also stop the calcium.. keep hydrated fed and give medicam.. twitching is good... I deal with these babies a lot and even some adults..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast