Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urinary Tract Infection?

Default Urinary Tract Infection?

I think my 3 year old Ashley (Eastern Gray) might have a urinary tract infection. My first guess was that she might be in heat but in 3 years I have never seen this. Her girl parts are red and swollen. She urinates a lot and sometimes dribbles. I'm attempting to upload a picture. What should I do?
    Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Name:  Possibel UTI.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  94.2 KB

Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

They do swell during their estrus... I have no direct experience with females and will defer to someone who does.

The treatment for UTI in squirrels is the same as humans - antibiotic, preferably Cipro (ciprofloxacin). It is what is prescribed to human women about 99% of the time for UTI, so it is an antibiotic than many people may have one leftover of. You may want to ask around of your friends to see if anyone has any leftover antibiotics and find out what they are in case you need to use them.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Centerline (10-21-2018)

What does the diet you feed look like?

Is it higher in nuts than 1 a day; does it include higher processed foods with high sugar content like cereals, sweetened yogurt, etc.. ?

Does it contain any greens, or vegetables; if so do you feed corn, sweet potatoes, yams,

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Centerline (10-21-2018)

Her diet is pretty good. She gets (2) Henry's blocks and veggies from the Henry's triangle diet during the day. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mushrooms are the main parts. Avacodao, blueberries, sugar snap peas, sweet potato and raw coconut are rotated in as day treats. Sometimes she gets butternut squash and carrots in the rotation. In the evening, she gets 5-10 mL of Esbilac (she still loves Esbilac) followed by (2) nuts treat. The nuts are (1) almond and (1) of either a hickory nut or a black walnut. On Sundays, she gets (3) nuts to keep her busy while I clean out her cage. Also, every other day, I give her some white clovers and she always has tree twigs to chew. I will start looking for some Cipro. Thanks all. By the way, did the picture upload work? Picture are always X-d out in my view.

She's dribbling a lot. But she doesn't seem to be bothered by this. I even did a little easy poking on her belly and back side. Her behavior is normal. Maybe she is just in estrus. I'm still trying to track down some Cipro. Is there a second choice antibiotic for UTI? I will continue to observe for another day or two. I will have an antibiotic by then. If she's not better by then, can someone dose for me? Thanks everyone.

The concern beyond a UTI, is what has it been caused by.

Typically of infections in the urinary tract produce alkaline mean urine pH that is out of range that promote the formation of Struvite crystals (stones).

Also reduce the nut portion to 1/2 chopped daily.

Clover in adult tree squirrels due to the high value of urine pH it promotes can in the formation of urinary bladder crystals, for in alkaline urine more calcium than normal is lost out the urine, and phosphorus is increased that causes Calcium phosphate bladder crystals to form, that abrade the lining of the bladder which commonly can result in UTI.

For now, stop feeding the clover, and reduce the amount of vegetables fed daily, and boil them, as this will reduce the abnormal alkaline urine pH that is also known to promote UTI from the bladder crystals alkaline urine promotes, and help to dissolve Calcium phosphate form of urinary calculi, and Struvite crystals in the bladder.

With this, suggest also taking an initial set of urine pH readings a few times a day after meals about an hour, then one from the first urine before the meal the next day. Then add up the readings and divide by four which will give you the mean urine pH value of the diet. Do this presently, and then again after a few days again to whether the mean urine pH lowers into the normal range of (6.4 to 6.8). If though it should go below 6.0, acidic, or above 7.0, alkaline, then the diet would need to be adjusted so that the mean urine pH falls within the known healthy 6 pt range.

Please keep us posted as to what you find initially and then after a few days of antibiotics. Do not delay though in starting AB.

She could just be in heat from what you have described. It is the dribbling that concerns me not her vulva that are swollen alone.

Sorry can't dose, not a rehabber. As for AB's I may have some Cipro, have to check my leftover prescripts to see.

I know I have a number of other antibiotics; rehabbers please contact me by PM for the list if you have need of any.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerline View Post
    She's dribbling a lot. But she doesn't seem to be bothered by this. I even did a little easy poking on her belly and back side. Her behavior is normal. Maybe she is just in estrus. I'm still trying to track down some Cipro. Is there a second choice antibiotic for UTI? I will continue to observe for another day or two. I will have an antibiotic by then. If she's not better by then, can someone dose for me? Thanks everyone.
    If you will need to treat we can dose for you but we will need a weight
    on your girl as meds are dosed by weight.

I have a female that used to get a UTI after every estrus when younger,
    she doesn't anymore... she just gets bitchy now. I just give her space to
    get over herself and we both recover.
    On the flip side we've had those that rush to a vet thinking their baby has
    a uti when it's just been they were in their estrus. The swelling is part of it.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Centerline (10-22-2018), redwuff (10-22-2018)

Today we have normal white/pink color on the girl parts but we still have the swelling. We still have a lot of dribbling. She is drinking a lot of water also. I was able to get some Baytril that was prescribed to a cat. Still no luck with Cipro. Is Baytril acceptable? The prescription is a bit vague. It states Baytril 27 but does not give milligram information. From what I have seen from a Google search, that was supposed to be Baytril 22.7 Precious Ashley weighs in at 1 pound and 0.4 ounces (472 grams). Can someone dose if Baytril is acceptable? Also, how will I trick Ashley into taking this medicine? Thanks in advance.

Today we have more of the same. We still have the same amount of swelling of the girl parts but normal color. Frequent urination and dribble. She's still drinking twice as much as normal. Her behavior is normal. I located some Cipro and I will receive it tomorrow. Once I know the milligrams will someone please dose for me? If I don't see improvement by this time tomorrow, I'm going to rule out estrus and proceed with the Cipro. Thanks in advance.

Have seen swelling very large sometimes for a as long as 6 weeks with discharge sometimes.
    Had test done at vet. Just had to let it run its course.
    Meds did nothing not saying this is the same just throwing this out.
    Can you get another pics. close and back away some.
    She had Frequent urination and dribble as well.

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Grinderhead:

cava (10-24-2018), Centerline (10-24-2018), Nancy in New York (10-24-2018), stepnstone (10-24-2018)

More of the same today. Still the same amount of swelling of the girl parts. I think I attached 2 more pictures. She is still drinking about twice as much water as normal. She still has frequent urination and dribble. Should I start the Cipro? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

What is the milligram of the Cipro
    and current weight of squee?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Sorry, I can't view the photos. If the discharge is the typical pink from blood, that is a UTI; yet if there is a white discharge that would be vaginitis. I ask for reason my girl had a white discharge (likely related to candida) during her heats that are up to 8 weeks twice a year; this was diagnosed as vaginitis. With this condition, that also requires AB, as the heat wanes with this condition the white discharge begins to dry up initially to where it has the consistency of a soft cheese, that may clog up the oraface. If this were to occur, then your squirrel may need your help to gently express the cheesy discharge so it won't result in an ascending infection into the uterus.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

cava (10-26-2018)

The Cipro I have is 500 mg. Ashley weighs 1 pound and 0.4 ounces (472 grams). She does not have any discharge. The dribble I mention is urine. No blood is present. At least not the amount that should be visible when I clean up the dribble with a white Kleenex or paper towel. If there is any blood, it is very trace. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerline View Post
    The Cipro I have is 500 mg. Ashley weighs 1 pound and 0.4 ounces (472 grams). She does not have any discharge. The dribble I mention is urine. No blood is present. At least not the amount that should be visible when I clean up the dribble with a white Kleenex or paper towel. If there is any blood, it is very trace. Thanks everyone.

I will dose this for you and send it in a pm.

Edit: Dosing sent.

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-26-2018), Centerline (10-26-2018), Grinderhead (10-26-2018), stepnstone (10-26-2018)

I'm having awful trouble getting Ashley to take her medicine. The medicine is Cipro/water solution. Via syringe, I mixed her first dose with her Esbilac.
    She could tell it was in there. I had to burrito and force it. Her second dose I tried direct, no mixer. Same result. When I have to force, I'm not positive she's getting enough and the whole process is terribly traumatic for her. I think I might have betrayed our trust. Does anyone have any tricks? Thanks.

How big is the dose? Some people try putting meds in the crack of a nut, letting it dry and giving that.

I don't have experience with it.

Also, some will dip the tip of the syringe in something delicious, like honey.

When I've had to medicate (younger and easier to handle) squirrels, I would have two syringes, one with med, one to immediately flush taste out of the mouth with, something tasty, to squirt in immediately after.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Centerline (10-28-2018), Nancy in New York (10-28-2018)

Awesome! I'm think she will eat pecan with a dry dose on it for sure. The dose is 0.1 mL. I will have to watch closely and make sure she's not discarding the part that is coated. Thanks.

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Centerline:

cava (10-28-2018), Nancy in New York (10-28-2018)

Ashley is all better now. All swelling and dribble is gone. The Cipro solution dried on a pecan half was a very effective and easy way to get her to take the medicine. Thanks everyone.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Centerline from:

cava (11-07-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast