Thread: release? Surrender? Keep? What is BEST for my girl?

Default release? Surrender? Keep? What is BEST for my girl?

I have a baby squirrel girl -about 11 weeks old. She was brought to me as I had previously rescued a baby squirrel and are known as the rodent lady. She is a black beautiful healthy girl. She weaned herself off formula (kitten replacement milk) and is eating monkey biscuits, peanuts, veggies, some fruit and seeds (sunflower and part of a regular wild squirrel diet)
    My questions is - she is very active and fun but I feel that her cage 26x25x61 is not big enough...We do let her out but she doesn't really run around, just climbs up the window frames and balances back and forth.We are in MD and winters are cold - I was thinking of releasing her in April but I am afraid she will not have enough room to exercise and be a happy and healthy squirrel. Any advise?
    Should I bring her to a rescue place? would she be better off there? We love her and she is playful and sweet and I just want her to have the best possible start!
    Thank you!

Default Re: release? Surrender? Keep? What is BEST for my girl?

Let's see if we can find someone near you to overwinter her, unless you can afford to buy her a much larger cage, spend time with her daily, afford the healthy diet she'll need, etc. Many folks new to rehabbing a squirrel overwinter their first one and with the right guidance they do well and release in the spring. But also, if you can't or want to hand her off, we can try to connect you to someone.

Her diet is a problem, but I'm so glad she's doing well. KMR formula is bad and I'm surprised she made it on that stuff, we've seen babies waste away and die on it. So, now that she's eating solids, let us help you offer her the healthiest options so she can be perfect when she's released.

The main portion of their diet is rodent block. (What rats are fed.) then you supplement with healthy veggies and wild greens. Fruit, nuts/seeds are treats only and should be given sparingly. If they aren't balanced and get too many nuts and seeds, they are at risk for a condition called metabolic bone disease (MBD). If she'll still take it you could offer Esbilac Powdered puppy formula in a dish, it's got complete nutrition and helps protect against MBD.

Here's a link to the feeding guidelines, especially if you'll be overwintering. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

DanC (10-19-2018)

Default Re: release? Surrender? Keep? What is BEST for my girl?

I am feeding her ZuPreem Primate Dry Diet - When I had my first squirrel this was recommended to feed him. Is this wrong? I bought it at www.squirrelsandmore.com
    Thank you!
    Also what kind of cage would you recommend?