Thread: Possible Abscess for Lulu-Bean?

Default Possible Abscess for Lulu-Bean?

Hey y'all!

Okay, I'm getting that y'all thing from my husband now

We went on a trip to Florida Thursday night and our pets (and Chippy) were left in the very capable hands of my parents as usual. Despite seeming like she lost a bit of chunkiness, LLB was her usual self.

When we arrived back home Monday night, she popped out to say hi to me and curled up into me to purr herself to sleep for hours. But I noticed the rim of her left eye looked pink and like it had eye boogers, and she was definitely thinner. Maybe the few days away let me see/feel how much she really lost.

Yesterday, I noticed a soft-ish bump on the left side of her face, between her nose and her eye. Her eye isn't as pink anymore, but she sounds like she has a tiny stuffy nose when she wakes up. I poked around in her mouth and couldn't see anything noticeable and aside from her hating my fingers in her mouth, she didn't seem unnecessarily uncomfortable. Today when getting pictures, she let out little squeaks when I touched the bump. She is otherwise just her little, LLB self!

I'm not familiar with abscesses or how to treat, but I read through a few threads and I think that's what this may be (professional opinions are appreciated). I read the preferred antibiotics for treatment (Clavulanic?), but I'm not sure where to get it and would need dosing help. I do have a little bit of prednisone left, 15 mg meloxicam, and 100mg gabapentin, as well as infant ibuprofen.

Notes:
    • She has malocclusion. Her last teeth trimming went VERY well and we got everything down to a length that she can grind and open hard-shelled nuts.
    • Her diet consists of HHB, leafy greens, Romaine, snap peas, avocado, blueberries, tomatoes, mushrooms, and Tums. She is currently only choosing to eat the snap peas, avocado, blueberries, mushrooms, and Tums however.
    • She did weigh about 650 grams at last weigh-in a month ago. Her wiggly self wouldn't let me get an accurate weight, so I am PRAYING the 360 grams that I got was all sorts of wrong,

The picture with the pink eye (and me in the background) is from Tuesday. The other pictures are today.

Thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

Default Re: Possible Abscess for Lulu-Bean?

Any thoughts?

I've started holding a warm cloth compress on her nosey. Anything I can give her while tracking down antibiotics?

~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

I would see about getting her to a vet that can do some head x-rays. That is just where one would expect to see swelling from an abscessed molar, and the stuffy nose is also indicative of tooth issues.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Lulu-Bean's Mommy (10-18-2018)

Thanks CritterMom!

I've run into a few problems:

Despite it being illegal for me to have LLB here, I called 2 vets in my area, both of which do not take wild animals and both of which recommend a wildlife center that I have heard has a high euthanize rate of squirrels. Wisconsin is not a squirrel-friendly state.

I reread laws yesterday, and Wisconsin also does not allow for a lot of help, or leniency to those who try, to squirrels as they are considered a nuisance.

I've had LLB for 9 years now, so unless she's on death's door, I don't know if I could fathom turning her over to the wildlife center. Aside from this problem, she's happy and playful, and definitely an NR, so I'm really lost at what I can do. I haven't been this scared and lost in years with her. And confused! We keep things clean for her. I'm frustrated how it happened.

~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lulu-Bean's Mommy from:

Diggie's Friend (10-19-2018)

Is a border state squirrel friendly? Could you take her there possibly if so? I know that could be a road trip but seeing how much she means to you I wanted to ask if you’d thought to check. I hope you find some help. ❤️

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Lulu-Bean's Mommy (10-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    Is a border state squirrel friendly? Could you take her there possibly if so? I know that could be a road trip but seeing how much she means to you I wanted to ask if you’d thought to check. I hope you find some help. ❤️
    If Illinois, Iowa, or Minnesota are friendly (and I'll definitely check right after this post) I will make the trip without a second thought. I always say, "She's as big as my heart, but she has all of it". No question, I will drive her where she needs this weekend. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

And God bless my husband! He asked what Lulu needed specifically, and went into his first aid kit. He found unopened, COMPLETELY SEALED augmentin 875 mg/125 mg. Now, it is a couple years old. Is it still okay? Can I give it even in an interim?

I started warm a compression. She does NOT like it (I get it). Can't remember if I mentioned that.

~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu-Bean's Mommy View Post
    If Illinois, Iowa, or Minnesota are friendly (and I'll definitely check right after this post) I will make the trip without a second thought. I always say, "She's as big as my heart, but she has all of it". No question, I will drive her where she needs this weekend. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

And God bless my husband! He asked what Lulu needed specifically, and went into his first aid kit. He found unopened, COMPLETELY SEALED augmentin 875 mg/125 mg. Now, it is a couple years old. Is it still okay? Can I give it even in an interim?

I started warm a compression. She does NOT like it (I get it). Can't remember if I mentioned that.
    I thought maybe it hadn’t =). I personally wouldn’t say I’m coming from another state. Rather I’d list an address in that state and say you’ve yet to swap license over since moving, assuming they ask for ID. Maybe even a board member in such state would let you use their address? And such a great husband ❤️ Mine has become a squirrel lover as well.

'Hi',

I am transferring a statement I made a few years back when my squirrel-baby, Nemo, looked identical to Lula-Bean's face...Nemo actually went through a phase looking exactly like your baby with the abscess and swelling in the same exact place on the face. I don't know if it is the same issue , but I had mentioned the medication a great vet (Dr.Dan) put him on during a fast trip to Raleigh, just in case there is any relevance. (Nemo had just turned 10 and had lost his 2 top teeth just prior.)

But, I would get Lula-Bean to a vet as soon as possible though.

[I have been to Dr. Dan's clinic, they are amazing. Nemo does not have the Odontoma I was afraid of... however there is disease in the root of the two upper teeth that were lost. His sinuses get inflamed due to this...He is on Chloramphenicol Palmate ...which they say is working great for any tooth type disorder in squirrels , rabbits mice etc. This will have to be used daily to help keep the infection from regrowing and making a cycle of occurrence. The other solution is to have the roots surgically removed and possibly part of the bone around it which they say is a painful surgery and at his age not recommended. They gave him Meloxicam to take daily for now and as needed later for swelling around his sinuses and as a pain med. We are trying the grape flavor.

He feels better sometimes. He has only had 3 doses so far. I am going to try for a month and evaluate, hopefully he will be showing signs of "a good quality of life"....

Last week I followed all considerations, I lowered the air in the house to see if it would help with the bloody nose issue...it has. I began Ensure (Butter Pecan)...to help with the weight issue and to help provide nutrition. (His sore teeth were making him not eat well.) I have increased calcium levels....I was told by Dr. Dan to give him one with Vit. D/3....he sold me one to use along in his diet that is a ultrafine powder...easy to sprinkle on fruits and veggies, add to the Ensure which he told me I could keep him on until he is eating better. Fortunately, Nemo is healthy, no bone/calcium issues, organs are fine, he is basically fit! ....*except for the teeth*. So hopefully he will begin to perk up full time, instead of only in spurts.

All your suggestions definitely helped, and he is improving ...they said it may take a week, but that most of the rodent animals they care for usually respond very well when these meds are given 'daily' long term and can help keep their lives in a quality state.]

May I also send hugs to you...I know the panic you are feeling right now, and I pray everything gets better soon. Give Lula-Bean a kiss for me.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to dr3am from:

Lulu-Bean's Mommy (10-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dr3am View Post
    May I also send hugs to you...I know the panic you are feeling right now, and I pray everything gets better soon. Give Lula-Bean a kiss for me.
    Thanks, dr3am

I was able to get some antibiotics for her. She's had 2 doses so far along with compressions, and the swelling seems to already started to go down. She's not happy with the treatment, but it's the best I can do for the time being while I search for a vet for her. I will pay and travel where I need to for her! Despite her protests (and there are many), keeping up with it for 7-10 days as directed

~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lulu-Bean's Mommy:

dr3am (10-19-2018), Sottinger (10-19-2018)