Thread: Refusing formula

Default Refusing formula

Oliver is refusing formula now for the last 2 days. He’s eating “boo balls” I made with Henry’s picky blocks a few extra pecans and organic baby food and he will eat a little of the Henry blocks by themselves. Can I crush up the Henry’s and not mix it with any extra nuts and add some formula power to it? I think he likes the texture of the boo balls more then the blocks. And can I add veggies to that too because he wants nothing to do with those either.

Default Re: Refusing formula

Explore away. Feeding a squirrel requires a lot of creativity. Watch how much nuts you put in it. The nuts need to be fine grind or else these little devils will just tear the balls apart looking for nut pieces.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

cava (10-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Explore away. Feeding a squirrel requires a lot of creativity. Watch how much nuts you put in it. The nuts need to be fine grind or else these little devils will just tear the balls apart looking for nut pieces.
    I’m thinking about no extra nuts. Just what’s in the henrys blocks.

I noticed that some young squirrels will not eat formula that isnt freshly made or the right temperature. If its too hot or lukewarm, they will push it away. Also, syringes and nipples can become smelly after awhile, if they are not washed thoroughly. I like to take mine apart and wash them with a large pipecleaner. I also wash and dry the nipples thoroughly. I use butter to lubricate the syringes when i go to feed them. Im sure this gives the formula a nicer flavor. Hope this helps.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Qurly from:

dr3am (10-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Qurly View Post
    I noticed that some young squirrels will not eat formula that isnt freshly made or the right temperature. If its too hot or lukewarm, they will push it away. Also, syringes and nipples can become smelly after awhile, if they are not washed thoroughly. I like to take mine apart and wash them with a large pipecleaner. I also wash and dry the nipples thoroughly. I use butter to lubricate the syringes when i go to feed them. Im sure this gives the formula a nicer flavor. Hope this helps.
    On one of the post somebody said to make my formula for what I would use in a 24 hour period. I’ve been doing that for the last 4 weeks and been warming it the same way and he’s always gone crazy over it. I just changed nipples because he chewed a little hole in the one he was drinking out of. He hasn’t had any since yesterday at noon. He wouldn’t touch the Henry’s blocks so I crushed thhem up and mixed it with organic baby food and baked them for a few minutes and he loves them. And I give him butternut squash today and he likes it. I’m just worried that he’s not getting any liquid. He has a water bottle but I can’t figure out if he’s using it or not. I’m making more balls tomorrow so I might mix some formula in it just for the nutrition but I’m not sure what to do about the water. Any other suggestions would be great.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kbroset from:

cava (10-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kbroset View Post
    He wouldn’t touch the Henry’s blocks so I crushed thhem up and mixed it with organic baby food and baked them for a few minutes and he loves them. And I give him butternut squash today and he likes it. I’m just worried that he’s not getting any liquid. He has a water bottle but I can’t figure out if he’s using it or not. I’m making more balls tomorrow so I might mix some formula in it just for the nutrition but I’m not sure what to do about the water.
    Thats a good sign that he liked the henrys blocks with baby food and the squash. Sometimes my pair eat the blocks and sometimes they bury it. Sometimes they drink their formula like its delicious, other times they push it away. Is he just being finicky or could it be digestive issues? Does he seem ill or is he energetic, playful, warm?

Thats a good sign that he liked the henrys blocks with baby food and the squash. Sometimes my pair eat the blocks and sometimes they bury it. Sometimes they drink their formula like its delicious, other times they push it away. Is he just being finicky or could it be digestive issues? Does he seem ill or is he energetic, playful, warm?
    He’s pooping what I would say is normal. It’s darker and I looked online and they said that’s normal once their not eating as much formula. And he’s super active. He ran around earlier for a couple of hours just playing. I think he’s just found he likes solid food more and doesn’t want the formula. I wish he would take it because I know it’s good for him. And I’m still trying on the morning and at night.

On one of the post somebody said to make my formula for what I would use in a 24 hour period. I’ve been doing that for the last 4 weeks and been warming it the same way and he’s always gone crazy over it. I just changed nipples because he chewed a little hole in the one he was drinking out of. He hasn’t had any since yesterday at noon. He wouldn’t touch the Henry’s blocks so I crushed thhem up and mixed it with organic baby food and baked them for a few minutes and he loves them. And I give him butternut squash today and he likes it. I’m just worried that he’s not getting any liquid. He has a water bottle but I can’t figure out if he’s using it or not. I’m making more balls tomorrow so I might mix some formula in it just for the nutrition but I’m not sure what to do about the water. Any other suggestions would be great.
    Take a marker and mark the water line carefully and watch for 24hrs. If it drops he’s drinking while you’re not watching. =) it might not be significant with a singleton in 24hrs but I can surely see it with my three monsters.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Kbroset (10-18-2018)

I also put formula in the water bottle and had him take a few licks before he was weaned so I knew he understood how it worked. But squirrels are smart and inquisitive. I’d be really surprised if he doesn’t already understand it or figure it out in the very near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    I also put formula in the water bottle and had him take a few licks before he was weaned so I knew he understood how it worked. But squirrels are smart and inquisitive. I’d be really surprised if he doesn’t already understand it or figure it out in the very near future.
    Meant to add: offer a small shallow dish as well. Nibbles was (likely) drinking from a bottle already but I didn’t have one at my job and caught him trying to steal water from an employees cup. That was the first time I witnessed him attempting to drink water. So I grabbed a small dish and offered him water in it and watched him easily lap some up. It was quite a reassurance as I knew he could drink from both a standing pool or a bottle. I know the bottle won’t be accessible in the wild so this was a very happy day for me I might add =).

He’s pooping what I would say is normal. It’s darker and I looked online and they said that’s normal once their not eating as much formula. And he’s super active. He ran around earlier for a couple of hours just playing. I think he’s just found he likes solid food more and doesn’t want the formula. I wish he would take it because I know it’s good for him. And I’m still trying on the morning and at night.
    I have 2 babies that are 10 week olds. One is beginning to wean as well. My eldest male barely touched it the past two days. He eats plenty so I figured he must just be about done with it. One of my littles is on an antibiotic this week so I began adding a bit of regular vanilla yogurt into the formula for him (probiotics) ...and you would think they just discovered hot fudge sundaes! Now I have to make sure they are not drinking too much of it. I only add a small amount, but it must have made it wonderfully fantastic again!

...and with the water, are you clicking it with your finger and letting him see you do it? As soon as I did that they had to come check out what I was up to. I put the water from my fingertip to one of their mouths and they went straight to it, and then they all did within a few days. I bet he has been trying it out. They are so curious, they can't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by dr3am View Post
    I have 2 babies that are 10 week olds. One is beginning to wean as well. My eldest male barely touched it the past two days. He eats plenty so I figured he must just be about done with it. One of my littles is on an antibiotic this week so I began adding a bit of regular vanilla yogurt into the formula for him (probiotics) ...and you would think they just discovered hot fudge sundaes! Now I have to make sure they are not drinking too much of it. I only add a small amount, but it must have made it wonderfully fantastic again!

...and with the water, are you clicking it with your finger and letting him see you do it? As soon as I did that they had to come check out what I was up to. I put the water from my fingertip to one of their mouths and they went straight to it, and then they all did within a few days. I bet he has been trying it out. They are so curious, they can't help it.
    I very much agree. They’ve likely checked this out quite in depth while you were looking the other way. If you’re really concerned mark the bottle and offer formula in it to first introduce how it works. Once weaned I bet you see a marked drop in the water level every day. But don’t expect such when babies are still taking formula. They will take the great majority of their fluids from formula prior to weaning. I’ve only weaned four to date but this has been the case with each of them.

If you've ever raised human children you know sometimes they won't stop eating everything and other times they just do not want to eat. It's part of the growing process. If your babies are growing, maintaining weight, behaving normally and have healthy pees and poops it's fine.

Hidden HHB's can get moldy as they are fresh so clean out stashes when you clean the cage.

Yes, formula poops are yellow and solid food poops are brown (mom poops are brown too btw).

In the wild they get water from all sorts of places from morning dew to from the greens they eat. They don't always sit at the water bowl/bottle and drink (like a dog does). If you're concerned, tap your finger on it, make sure it's working. Show them how it works. Give both a bowl and bottle.

Keep up the good work you guys!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

island rehabber (10-19-2018)

Thank yall!!! I marked his water bottle to see if he’s drinking. I tried the honey on the nipple to see if that would make him drink formula but he didn’t. I mentioned this and I’m not sure if anybody said anything but can I put formula powder in with the blocks and baby food?

From what I understand Henry’s blocks are packed with vitamins and minerals and formula wouldn’t need to be added those. I know boo ball recipes using other rodent block often contains formula powder though. Not sure which one exactly you were asking about.

On the water thing:

As I mentioned in another thread, I set up a motion-sensor camera. I caught them drinking at the bottle a few times and learned to relax about water consumption. In general the camera has been my friend; it lets me check in on them without being in the room so I can see what they're up to without staring at them constantly.

Animals will also get quite a bit of hydration from fresh veggies and formula from what I understand.

~T.