Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won’t take formula!

Default Won’t take formula!

Saige is around 11 weeks now I believe and she won’t really take formula hardly eats vegetables but she loves grape tomatoes and I see that she’s thrown some up. What can I give her?

-also how can I give her water? Hamster water bottle is very foreign to her and any liquid in a small bowl, she gets stuff up her nose

Default Re: Won’t take formula!

Okay I for sure saw her throw up her formula, she took it but not eagerly, she just hopped off my bed and threw it up! What is wrong with her?! Please help

Should I Try to give her pedialyte?

She’s breathing slower than usual now... still asking for answers...

Someone please help me

Warm her up and keep her quiet. See if she will take very small amounts of warm water with just a tiny bit of sugar or the pedialyte - make sure you warm it up. Don't give a lot - just a little at a tie - you don't want to trigger more vomiting. Use your syringe to feed.

I wouldn't feed tomatoes. First, ALL green parts of a tomato plant are poisonous, including the little thing on the top of the fruit. They are members of the nightshade family, many of which are poisonous. What isn't going to bother a huge human being may make a tiny animal very sick.

If she likes being handled by you, sit with her and stroke her; if not, let her snuggle down in the warmth and hopefully she will sleep and feel better when she wakes.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Squirrelskeeper (10-17-2018)

Just Incase someone may help me:/ she has been exposed to stuff, she gets out of her cage and comes in my room. I made her a nest until I can get a cage but now I noticed she’s been getting up a lot and I gave her water in which she threw up to. I’m trying to keep my hand on her so I know where she is but i am just scared

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Warm her up and keep her quiet. See if she will take very small amounts of warm water with just a tiny bit of sugar or the pedialyte - make sure you warm it up. Don't give a lot - just a little at a tie - you don't want to trigger more vomiting. Use your syringe to feed.

I wouldn't feed tomatoes. First, ALL green parts of a tomato plant are poisonous, including the little thing on the top of the fruit. They are members of the nightshade family, many of which are poisonous. What isn't going to bother a huge human being may make a tiny animal very sick.

If she likes being handled by you, sit with her and stroke her; if not, let her snuggle down in the warmth and hopefully she will sleep and feel better when she wakes.
    She wouldn’t take pedialyte at all

OK. Of course she needs to be contained in SOMETHING because your home is filled with dangers - electric cords to chew, meds to get into, poisonous plants to eat... Can you set her up somewhere that she can be warm and just sleep? She feels like crap which is why she doesn't want to drink anything. If she can settle down and sleep she may feel better when she wakes up.

My little flying squirrel apparently ate something that he had stashed that had gone bad and was VERY ill this weekend - I was sure I was going to lose him. It took a good 12 hours after I initially found him sick before he began to be himself again - and he is fine now.

When you try water the next time, make some very weak sugar water up and use that instead. Warm it, pull it up in the syringe and then dip the top of the syringe in either a little of the sugar, or some honey or corn syrup - something sweet so that she can taste it as soon as the syringe touches her mouth. She may be more agreeable.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Squirrelskeeper (10-17-2018)

Anything else I can do for her? She’s very lethargic, doesn’t wanna eat, what can I feed her?

Also her nose and lips aren’t pink, they’re blueish

Don’t know if this is important too but she keeps on wiping her neck area off or trying to but there’s nothing there

Can you post a picture. Look around where she can get to. Could she have chewed a cord. Is there any burns on her lips or damage to any other part of her body? Look at all of your electrical cords and see if there is any damage. Could she have chewed a plant. Is there any Ouse or rat poison she could have gotten into?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

No rat poison, I’m gonna check cords. There’s carpet cleaner and probably other pieces of old food she’s dropped. I believe she was in the bathroom there were baby wipes and hand soap

Name:  68E7E33D-9F2B-467F-A18A-7041D279AF85.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  96.3 KBName:  776ECD33-0893-4B63-A1BB-3FF36E22A561.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  93.4 KB

Do you have any kind of syrup in the house? Pancake, maple, corn syrup? If not, do you have just some table sugar? If table sugar only, put a little pile down, add a drop or two of water and work it into a paste. You just need to get a bit of one of these in his mouth. You can even dip your finger in and rub it on the gums. I am trying to boost the blood sugar to see if he perks up enough to consume some more food. Put 2 or 3 drops of syrup in his mouth with a dropper or syringe, or use your finger to wipe up a glob of the sugar water paste and just shove it into his mouth. They do't have to swallow it. It will bathe the mucous membranes in the mouth and be absorbed by them.

I have honey and sugar. She wants to eat I think but she’s just not feeling great at all. I bought Kaytee Forti diet hamster and gerbil food along with some broccoli. She chews with nothing in her mouth though. I’m gonna attempt the sugar paste. No chewed cords but she may have gotten in left over carpet cleaner. Still not very sure

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelskeeper View Post
    I have honey and sugar. She wants to eat I think but she’s just not feeling great at all. I bought Kaytee Forti diet hamster and gerbil food along with some broccoli. She chews with nothing in her mouth though. I’m gonna attempt the sugar paste. No chewed cords but she may have gotten in left over carpet cleaner. Still not very sure
    Use either one. The honey may be easier.

This may perk her up a bit. If so, put a teaspoon f sugar in a cup of water and use that for hydration. She may like it better than the pedialyte. Here is what happens:

They vomit. That starts to dehydrate them. The dehydration makes them feel lousy and not want to eat or drink. Which dehydrates them more and makes them feel worse and so on. You need to start very slowly reversing that. If she only takes a few drops, fine, give a few drops and let her be for 10 minutes or so, then go back and try another few drops.

What do you mean by "she chews with nothing in her mouth?"

Food is by her mouth and she puts her mouth on it but doesn’t get any and she chews as if there is something in there

What is her favorite treat in the world? A nut? Give her a little bit and see if she eats it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast