Thread: Pneumonia Dosage Info

Default Pneumonia Dosage Info

Hey y’all! I need some help.

SO, before I ask, let me tell you a few things.
    I ONLY have amoxicillin. It is liquid, it is FRESH, and it is 250mg/5ml.
    I DO NOT have a scale, but babies opened their eyes around 5 days ago and I can send someone a picture of them next to a can if that helps. Just can’t on the site from my phone. I can email or text if you have iMessage.

That being said, vets around here don’t know anything about wildlife and antibiotics are prescription only. I do have doxy but that’s not going to help.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Pneumonia Dosage Info

What is happening that you need antibiotics? If you need abs for AP both doxy and amoxicillin will work.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

junebugg (10-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    What is happening that you need antibiotics? If you need abs for AP both doxy and amoxicillin will work.
    Pneumonia clicking just started in one of them. The doxycycline is in capsules and can be pretty harsh, that’s why I’m trying to steer clear. I’m a vet assistant and a couple of my foster dogs are on it for HW treatment.
    I initially gave him .2cc of amoxicillin because he was pretty lethargic already. It’s been 4 hours and he’s already got his appetite back after being on some heat and getting some antibiotics going. I just don’t want to continue the dose unless it’s correct. He won’t need any more until morning. So far stools look normal.

Quote Originally Posted by junebugg View Post
    Pneumonia clicking just started in one of them. The doxycycline is in capsules and can be pretty harsh, that’s why I’m trying to steer clear. I’m a vet assistant and a couple of my foster dogs are on it for HW treatment.
    I initially gave him .2cc of amoxicillin because he was pretty lethargic already. It’s been 4 hours and he’s already got his appetite back after being on some heat and getting some antibiotics going. I just don’t want to continue the dose unless it’s correct. He won’t need any more until morning. So far stools look normal.
    Don't matter much who does the guessing, it's still a guess.
    Correct dosing requires knowing an actual weight
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

redwuff (10-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Don't matter much who does the guessing, it's still a guess.
    Correct dosing requires knowing an actual weight
    Then what’s the general instructions for squirrels) how many cc per g of body weight is what I’m looking for. I’m aware it’ll still be a guess, but an educated guess is better than an uneducated one and it’s still better than a dead squirrel because I couldn’t do anything. I can probably get a weight later today

Quote Originally Posted by junebugg View Post
    Then what’s the general instructions for squirrels) how many cc per g of body weight is what I’m looking for. I’m aware it’ll still be a guess, but an educated guess is better than an uneducated one and it’s still better than a dead squirrel because I couldn’t do anything. I can probably get a weight later today
    IF the squirrel is 100 grams the dose would be 0.04, at the strength you have, twice daily
    for 5-7 days.
    0.2 is the dose for a 500 gram squirrel.
    Amoxi is NOT the ideal drug for pneumonia.
    Try to find Cipro (human) or Baytril (animal)
    or Clavamox (animal) or Augmentin (human)
    Get a weight today and we will dose properly.
    Also, you feed according to their weight so it's important
    to know how much this little one weighs.

9. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-17-2018), island rehabber (10-18-2018), junebugg (10-17-2018), redwuff (10-17-2018), Spanky (10-17-2018), stepnstone (10-17-2018)

If you're a vet assistant and do foster work, can you score a Baytril tablet? Can you get a weight at work?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Nancy in New York (10-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    If you're a vet assistant and do foster work, can you score a Baytril tablet? Can you get a weight at work?
    I actually just quit like 2 weeks ago.. so that’s a no lol. They wouldn’t have anyway. They refuse to see wildlife and won’t give anything without an exam (it’s law, can’t blame them). I left for moral reasons. I ran to the clinic I did my externship at and he’s 102 g. Sorry I had to work and just got back home to check the forum!

Just an update y’all!

He is back to his normal self. I’m glad giving him more than necessary didn’t cause much harm. His stool still looks great and there’s no longer a clicking. He has 110% of his appetite back and is doing fantastic. I’m happy for such a quick turn around and will remember the dosing to go by for that antibiotic for future reference and try to get other options on hand at some point too.

Thanks everyone for the help!