Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help with sick chipmunk!

Default Re: Please help with sick chipmunk!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I will dose this and send to you via PM. Yes, you will need NO LARGER than a 1cc - if they have .5cc that works too - maybe even better.
    Oh thank you soooo much.
    I held her to give her the formula, she liked it, had less then 2 cc. She feels abit wormer now but that might be due to the heatmat in the cage. She walked around abit but fell asleep in few minutes

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Christiner from:

TubeDriver (10-17-2018)

Well that is all good.

I have sent you dosing for the augmentin. Given the conditions you say they were living in, I think that an infection of some sort is a fair bet. I tend to be pretty aggressive with treatment because they are so small and go downhill so fast. I would rather medicate a squirrel in error than NOT medicate a squirrel in error!

This med is known to be sort of hard on the stomach. I would give him food, wait 15 or 20 minutes, and then give him his medicine (don't give together - you do NOT want him associating his food with the yucky meds). I would also get some sort of probiotics for him - over and above what is in the formula (they are normally killed off when it is heated). I don't know about Greece but we in the US have gone probiotic crazy and you can buy them EVERYWHERE. The human kind is fine - they are usually a white powder in capsules so you just pull it apart and sprinkle on food or even mix with a teeny bit of water or juice and give by syringe. The powder is normally a little sweet so it doesn't taste nasty.

You want to give meds and probiotics at different times - your antibiotics will kill the probiotics if you don't. If you are medicating him at, say, 6AM and 6PM, give him his probiotics at noon.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Christiner (10-18-2018)

I hope the AB helps. But also use CMs excellent recipe for eggshell calcium (and some type of rodent block plus veggies to their diets). Your chip may have MBD as well as an opportunistic secondary bacterial infection!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Christiner (10-18-2018), CritterMom (10-17-2018)

Thank you so much. I found a rodent feed that is just pellets, 14% protein. Ordered that and I will be looking for better qualityone. She doesn't eat anything, and I don't think she is drinking either. I'll keep giving her the milk, at least she eats that. Doing the egg shell powder and the pills today aswell. If anything changes I'll let you know. You are wonderful people for helping a complete stranger, hopefully saving my baby thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Christiner View Post
    Thank you so much. I found a rodent feed that is just pellets, 14% protein. Ordered that and I will be looking for better qualityone. She doesn't eat anything, and I don't think she is drinking either. I'll keep giving her the milk, at least she eats that. Doing the egg shell powder and the pills today aswell. If anything changes I'll let you know. You are wonderful people for helping a complete stranger, hopefully saving my baby thank you!
    Are they by any chance called "Harlan Teklad" or "Envigo"? They are actually a good choice if so. Not only to feed straight, but you can use them to make other, maybe more enticing treats. Yes, we cook for our squirrels.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Christiner (10-18-2018)

So the syringe is harder to find then I imagined. The pharmacist ordered it for me though, said it'll be here tomorrow morning so I'll give her the meds right away. I have a 5 cc one and I am not sure I'll be able to give her the exact tiny dose. Also I have a question. The egg is ready but I can't figure out how much to give her. A tsp has 1000mg of calsium so I'll give her 1/10 as the first dose and then 1/20 for the rest? And if so how would I devide it? Maybe add some water? I am terrified of killing her by mistake. She woke up today and munched on some food and shook abit then went to the heat and seemes very week. I give her 3 cc of the puppy stuff. Also I found another pellets for rats with 37% protein, should I get that better? Brand Care +Rat. I will cook for her, that would be great! I already cook for the dogs with pleasure. Oh and for how long should I give her the antibiotics? And how much Prebiotic? So many questions I am so sorry and thank you for your time and effort to help my poor girl

Quote Originally Posted by Christiner View Post
    So the syringe is harder to find then I imagined. The pharmacist ordered it for me though, said it'll be here tomorrow morning so I'll give her the meds right away. I have a 5 cc one and I am not sure I'll be able to give her the exact tiny dose. Also I have a question. The egg is ready but I can't figure out how much to give her. A tsp has 1000mg of calsium so I'll give her 1/10 as the first dose and then 1/20 for the rest? And if so how would I devide it? Maybe add some water? I am terrified of killing her by mistake. She woke up today and munched on some food and shook abit then went to the heat and seemes very week. I give her 3 cc of the puppy stuff. Also I found another pellets for rats with 37% protein, should I get that better? Brand Care +Rat. I will cook for her, that would be great! I already cook for the dogs with pleasure. Oh and for how long should I give her the antibiotics? And how much Prebiotic? So many questions I am so sorry and thank you for your time and effort to help my poor girl
    The calcium isn't a medicine so you don't really need to stress TOO much about dosing. For the first couple of days, in the morning, put 1/4 tsp of the calcium powder in a little dish and between then and when you go to bed, give her all of it, a little pinch at a time. You can hide some in formula she drinks, for example, sprinkle it on fruit, etc. I also, as I mentioned, I suggest just handing her a piece of eggshell and see what she does with it. I have suggested this to others and the animals grabbed it and ate it - no grinding required!

After a few days of 1/4 tsp, I would slowly begin reducing the daily total to about 1/8 tsp.

My guess is that the 14% food is a better choice. Rats eat more meat than squirrels and chippies - they don't need that much protein.

The Probiotics: (not pre - pro) again, a tiny pinch between your fingers is all that is needed.

I would do the meds for 5-7 days at least - you don't want to exceed 21 days. If you aren't seeing improvement after a few days we may want to re-think that - keep the thread active here so we can see what you are doing and what is happening as the result.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Nancy in New York (10-18-2018)

In terms of how much calcium to give, if you see her poops starting to turn whitish, that is unprocessed calcium that her system is dumping. If you see whitish poops, I would dial back the calcium amount a bit.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

She seems a tiny bit better today, she tried to eat but kinda bumped her face in the food and left it. So I checked her mouth(she hated it me for it) and her bottom teeth are very long! There is a vet that trims bunny teeth so I'm going to take her there on Monday and see if he can do hers. I'll check in with you in few days to let you know how she is doing.

I don't know what worked out of so many things that we did but my girl is doing much better. She is eating now and not sleeping as much and is much more active in the cage. Her teeth have been trimmed, although judging by youtube videos my vet didn't do a very good job so I might take her again. I got them the appropriate feed and working on making the cage fun and cozy. Thank you so much for your time and advice, you guys saved her life and we are forever grateful!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Christiner from:

Nancy in New York (10-27-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12