Thread: Swollen, scabbed anus

Default Swollen, scabbed anus

I've had a male, approximately 8-9 weeks brought to me. He had a scab covering his anus, dried diarrhea maybe. After carefully soaking him in warm water the scab came off. At first, I thought it was pus gushing out, but now I think it was a build up of diarrhea behind the closed anus.

So, now he is swollen and if I do not clean him through out the day, he will seal shut. I've got him on esbilac and FV 20/50, probiotic. I'm very concerned that if this doesn't heal correctly, or heals too tight he will not be able to have a proper bowel movement.

Anyone have a similar experience? He still has liquid stool, eats 9ml per feeding, Henry block right now.Name:  20181015_154447-1.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  105.5 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mennome from:

ClemC5 (10-16-2018)

Default Re: Swollen, scabbed anus

I've never had this experience but I would use an ointment on the anus to keep it open. Any greasy ointment would be fine like triple antibiotic salve, Vaseline or even coconut oil.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ClemC5 (10-16-2018), Mennome (10-16-2018)

What are you doing to resolve the diarrhea? His skin should heal and the anus is very elastic and should work just fine after he's over this hump, even if he has a bit of scarring from the abrasion. Remember to keep it clean, rinse thoroughly and apply a barrier cream, like HRT said, to protect the skin and keep open. Poor guy! Bad diet before coming to you?

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

ClemC5 (10-16-2018), Mennome (10-16-2018)

I had the same issue with a couple of fall babies this year. I am not sure what caused it, but it sure is strange. The only thing I could think of is over feeding. I tend to want to give a little extra formula when they seem so hungry. I started warm baths once a day and started weighing them every day and only giving the correct amount of formula. It took about a week to clear. I know the daily warm water helped ease the discomfort and reduced the scabbing, but I am still not sure if reducing the amount of formula was the cure, but it worked for me. Sometimes I forget there is a protocol for all of this stuff and I catch myself trying to help to much. Good luck.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ClemC5 from:

Mennome (10-16-2018)

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and advice.

We had a formed stool this morning. The probiotic and better diet seems to already working. However, I had to assist the stool as it seems he stopped pushing. I am positive it's painful and gave meloxicam.

I started warm water therapy yesterday and have applied almond oil, which I can tell he finds soothing.

I'm hoping with good diet, block and some veggie fiber he will heal.

If anyone has further advice, I'm all ears!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mennome from:

cava (10-16-2018)

Preparation H has helped to take the swelling down in a couple that I had with this issue. The ointment also helped to prevent resealing.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

ClemC5 (10-17-2018), Mennome (10-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Preparation H has helped to take the swelling down in a couple that I had with this issue. The ointment also helped to prevent resealing.
    Ok....didn't think of that one. ...thank you!

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mennome from:

SammysMom (10-17-2018)

Exclamation Re: Swollen, scabbed anus

Improvement today.....slow improvement. I am interested in giving oral pred. Would anyone be willing to share the dose they use? I have liquid 3 mg per ml.

I can help dose, but with possible infection it can suppress the immune response.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I can help dose, but with possible infection it can suppress the immune response.
    Yes I thought of that but there is no sign of infection. Now we have inflammation....still Today he has firm, proper colour BM. He can "almost" evacuate all his stool himself.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mennome:

cava (10-17-2018), ClemC5 (10-17-2018)

Major Improvement today with Benny. He is defecating a lot easier now and I am not having to clean him as much. Stool looks great. There is still some inflammation and redness, and he is not happy with me working with him. He is tolerating me thank goodness!

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I've tried just about all of them.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mennome:

ClemC5 (10-29-2018), SammysMom (10-18-2018)