Thread: Age and Advice?

Default Age and Advice?

Hello!
    My cat recently brought up a baby squirrel, just needed some help and tips

I immediately brought the little boy (he's male ^^) inside and heated some water bottles and covered them with a fleece blanket to warm him up as he was very cold. After he was warmed up a bit, I checked him over for any cuts or wounds. Thankfully, there were none!
    He was dehydrated, so I used a rehydration solution after stimulating him to go to the potty. The baby boy thankfully peed and pooped!
    (1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    2 cups warm water)

When we first found him (yesterday evening) his eyes were closed. I started off with just the fluids, as I read that feeding a dehydrated baby could cause alooot of problems. He did very well, so we slowly integrated some formula to him. (He ate around 3 1/2 ccs. used a 3 cc syringe) We woke up every 3 hours to feed him that night and made sure he did his potty business (he was very good about this!)

Today though; he's just refused to poop!
    The little bugger eats fine but we haven't been able to get him to poop at all, which is very worrying.
    He's not cold nor dehydrated, so we aren't sure what the problem could be. His eyes opened this morning (both of them) and he does move around alot. Every so often he wakes up and explores around his little nest. He's a very lively bean <3
    I'm just worried that he won't poop, anything I could do?
    *It's now 1:33 pm, still no poop*

Default Re: Age and Advice?

Sounds as if you are doing everything right. I would keep a heating pad (not the auto shut off kind) under half of the container you have him in. Make sure it's not cardboard as that will dehydrate them. You can offer hydration formula between formula feedings if needed. What kind of formula are you feeding him? In my experience there is often a pause in the pooping between the last mothers milk poop and the first formula feeding poop. I've had them go without for up to two or three days. Just make sure his belly is soft and not bloated.

They usually open their eyes around 4-5 weeks old. If you post a picture someone may be able to give you an age estimate.

Here's a helpful little guide if you haven't already read it: https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

Acesong (10-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Jen413 View Post
    Sounds as if you are doing everything right. I would keep a heating pad (not the auto shut off kind) under half of the container you have him in. Make sure it's not cardboard as that will dehydrate them. You can offer hydration formula between formula feedings if needed. What kind of formula are you feeding him? In my experience there is often a pause in the pooping between the last mothers milk poop and the first formula feeding poop. I've had them go without for up to two or three days. Just make sure his belly is soft and not bloated.
    They usually open their eyes around 4-5 weeks old. If you post a picture someone may be able to give you an age estimate.
    Here's a helpful little guide if you haven't already read it: https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/
    Very important question!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Acesong (10-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Jen413 View Post

We're feeding him the Esbilac puppy formula;following some of the feeding instructions we've seen on here *This site is a life saver xD*

So him not pooping today isn't a big problem? He's not bloated which is originally why I was searching his nest to see if he had MAYBE started pooping on his own.
    Name:  IMG_3776.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  74.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_3778.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  67.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3769.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  81.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3773.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  110.7 KB

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Acesong:

dr3am (10-15-2018), Jen413 (10-15-2018), stepnstone (10-15-2018)

Just to be sure, it is the powered esbilac yes??
    He does appear to be underweight and I would continue hydration
    in between his formula feedings.
    Do you have a weight on him?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Acesong (10-15-2018), Jen413 (10-15-2018), redwuff (10-23-2018)

Ace song,

Thanks for the pictures, that helps a lot. Your baby has been without mom for awhile, so if you do not see much poop for even 4 days it'll be all right. It will help him to have rehydration fluid a few times a day for the next day or two also. Good job. If he gets lethargic or fussy about eating let us know.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Acesong (10-15-2018), cava (10-15-2018), Jen413 (10-15-2018)

Yes, it's the powdered formula ^^ The first thing we did when we found him was hop onto this site and looked at the feeding recommendations, we didn't want to feed him improperly and risk him getting sick.

We currently do not have a weight on him; the Hurricane that hit the south recently passed through and alot of the stores around my area are still closed. We were lucky to find the formula xD, we don't currently have a way to weigh him

A little update, we did find what we THINK is he mother and the nest... under a fallen tree in the woods behind our house...
    So this little guy is very likely an orphan
    I'll keep hydrating him, because he probably didn't have a mother since the hurricane which is really sad. Poor bean! <3

Thank you all!

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Acesong:

dr3am (10-15-2018), Jen413 (10-15-2018)

Oh he's PRECIOUS!!!

If you're feeding the powdered formula like Step mentioned and his belly is soft and not bloated I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on him and if you notice any concerns with his belly make sure you post. I have a feeling you'll be seeing poops over the next day or two. Babies....one of the only time you'll ever be excited about poop

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

Acesong (10-15-2018)

xD He's got a heck of a personality too! Already trying to explore everything.
    And yes! When I see the first sign of poop I'll have to hold back from squealing in delight! <3

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Acesong from:

Jen413 (10-15-2018)

OH!! During all the discussion for his poop I totally forgot to address the issue that your cat brought him in. Cat saliva can be deadly to squirrels. You'll probably need to put him on an antibiotic. I can't help you with what you'll need but I'm sure Step or Redwuff could. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If so, you can list them and when they come back to the thread they can tell you which will work. But you'll need a weight on him. I use a digital food scale from walmart to weigh mine.

I don't have any on me, but as soon as the roads clear up I'll drive up to the Walmart and grab some + a scale! O.O
    The roads are pretty much blocked by the tree companies clearing power lines and pulling up poles, it could be a day or so until I can get back out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Acesong View Post
    I don't have any on me, but as soon as the roads clear up I'll drive up to the Walmart and grab some + a scale! O.O
    The roads are pretty much blocked by the tree companies clearing power lines and pulling up poles, it could be a day or so until I can get back out there...
    Try asking friends/family if anyone has an extra Cipro (preferred) antibiotic pill.
    The antibiotic can not be purchased OTC so trying to find one that even one extra will be helpful. Once you can locate one, come back with what you have, the mg amount and the weight of your baby.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TamiKakes from:

Acesong (10-15-2018)

I see she noted there were no puncture wounds. Would she still need antibiotics? It sounds like miss kitty might've toted the little guy home like she would her own babies.

Yeah it was actually quite surprising. My cat Morris just casually carried him over (the little baby actually let out this shriek, which is how we realized he was there) and dropped him on the porch and sat in front of him like, "Yep here hooman i brought live prey"
    Didn't try to hurt him or anything, I was very shocked
    Besides him being cold, hungry, dehydrated, and needing to pee and poop ALOT, he was perfectly intact. I checked him over very carefully for any cuts or scrapes, no puncture wounds or anything.
    Like something really wanted to give this bean a chance

Aha! Little Bean finally pooped! It was a small amount, but heck I’ll take it!
    Name:  D7E6447B-DA99-487E-9BA6-A219583E9B78.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  121.1 KB
    Happened after his recent feeding; I went to stimulate him to pee and he just started going!
    Sent a picture to my boyfriend of the pile screaming, “LOOK AT THAT GLORIOUS PILE OF TINY TURDS!!!!”
    He told me to sleep more 😂❤️

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Acesong from:

Jen413 (10-16-2018)

😂😂😂 such great news! I hope your bf is just as sappy as my husband and finds himself equally immersed in the weeks to come! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Acesong View Post
    Sent a picture to my boyfriend of the pile screaming, “LOOK AT THAT GLORIOUS PILE OF TINY TURDS!!!!”
    He told me to sleep more 😂❤️
    That's hilarious!! Glad you got some poopies! And I believe they say any cat caught babies should get AB's but I could be wrong.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

Nancy in New York (10-23-2018)

Hi Acesong and baby “Bean” 😘. I am a new mom and by no means an expert, but I would like to share what happened to my Sebastian... The puncture could be so small and hidden under fur, that you will not even know it is there until it becomes necrotic or accessed. After what we went through... I would treat with AB anytime a cats mouth is in contact. I am so happy to say that my baby is doing great thanks to these amazing squirrel angels that reached out and helped me through. Good luck to you. Your baby is lucky to have you! Smooch her for me! 💜🐿☮️

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jeltje from:

redwuff (10-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Hi Acesong and baby “Bean” 😘. I am a new mom and by no means an expert, but I would like to share what happened to my Sebastian... The puncture could be so small and hidden under fur, that you will not even know it is there until it becomes necrotic or accessed. After what we went through... I would treat with AB anytime a cats mouth is in contact. I am so happy to say that my baby is doing great thanks to these amazing squirrel angels that reached out and helped me through. Good luck to you. Your baby is lucky to have you! Smooch her for me! 💜🐿☮️
    Sebastian you are right on. We over looked thatand we do recommend giving abs anytime a baby is in a cats mouth. I would guess after 8 days little bean is in the clear.

But we sure would love to see how Bean is doing. Also it would be a good idea to have either Baytril/Cipro or clavamox/ augmentin on hand in case any emergencies, like aspiration pneumonia in which time is of the essence, crop up.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator