Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 weeks and hates blocks

Default 8 weeks and hates blocks

Oliver is about 8 weeks old. He wont touch his Henry’s blocks. I saw a recipe for blocks mixed with apple sauce or baby food and nuts or peanut butter. Is that a safe way to get him to eat them? I’ve had them in his cage since his eyes opened and he won’t even go close to them. And I try to get him to smell them and try them but he just turns his face away and rubs it in his blankets. He’s still on formula but I think he needs something else and I don’t think he’s ever going to eat them lol they are. And they are the picky blocks. And he wants to chew on the cage and I’m pretty sure that’s not good for his teeth so I give him little sticks and he chews them a lot.

Default Re: 8 weeks and hates blocks

There are a lot of recipes on here for "boo balls" that are modded ways to get them to eat their blocks.

There are many here:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dly-Cook-Book)

Are you offering a fresh one every day?
    Are you storing them in the fridge/freezer. These are fresh made to order so they will spoil/mold if left sitting out or in the cage.

The first few times I offered them I broke in half and only gave half (as to not waste a whole one) and dipped it in the formula.

Quote Originally Posted by TamiKakes View Post
    There are a lot of recipes on here for "boo balls" that are modded ways to get them to eat their blocks.

There are many here:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dly-Cook-Book)

Are you offering a fresh one every day?
    Are you storing them in the fridge/freezer. These are fresh made to order so they will spoil/mold if left sitting out or in the cage.

The first few times I offered them I broke in half and only gave half (as to not waste a whole one) and dipped it in the formula.
    Once I opened the bag I put them in the freezer. I give him a fresh one in the morning and afternoon even when he doesn’t eat them. And I let them sit out and come to room temp before I offer them and I’ve even put one in the microwave to warm it a little. (Not too much!) but nothing. I just want him to have some options. And I guess I’m getting overwhelmed with all the recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kbroset View Post
    Once I opened the bag I put them in the freezer. I give him a fresh one in the morning and afternoon even when he doesn’t eat them. And I let them sit out and come to room temp before I offer them and I’ve even put one in the microwave to warm it a little. (Not too much!) but nothing. I just want him to have some options. And I guess I’m getting overwhelmed with all the recipes.
    Have you tried other solids with success? It sounds like he just might not be quite ready yet. If you haven’t that’s good. You definitely want him eating block first. I’ll post the one I made Saturday and all four of mine went crazy over it. It was my first attempt at boo balls. I made a larger batch but I’ll post smaller for you to try with a singleton.

1 cup rodent block ground to a powder
    1/2 cup nuts (I used walnuts, almond, pecan) also ground to a near powder
    1 tsp of coconut oil
    Then added enough fruit/veggie baby food to get the consistency I needed to form little balls.
    Bake at 350 for 10min.

I have a picky eater but he will eat HHB regular ones. He just won’t touch a commercial rodent block so I’m making these to get regular block down him as he’s a weaned adolescent. You may need to add vitamins or formula to yours when he is weaned if he still won’t eat a HHB.

Hope it has the same success for you as it did with me. Unlike you I had already offered walnut as first solid before finding the nutrition section of the board. It’s been a struggle since! Good luck with your little guy =)

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    Have you tried other solids with success? It sounds like he just might not be quite ready yet. If you haven’t that’s good. You definitely want him eating block first. I’ll post the one I made Saturday and all four of mine went crazy over it. It was my first attempt at boo balls. I made a larger batch but I’ll post smaller for you to try with a singleton.

1 tsp of coconut oil
    Then added enough fruit/veggie baby food to get the consistency I needed to form little balls.
    Bake at 350 for 10min.

I have a picky eater but he will eat HHB regular ones. He just won’t touch a commercial rodent block so I’m making these to get regular block down him as he’s a weaned adolescent. You may need to add vitamins or formula to yours when he is weaned if he still won’t eat a HHB.

Hope it has the same success for you as it did with me. Unlike you I had already offered walnut as first solid before finding the nutrition section of the board. It’s been a struggle since! Good luck with your little guy =)
    No he hasn’t had any other solids. Only a stick because he was chewing on the cage and I didn’t want him to hurt his teeth. I’m at the store now getting the stuff you sent me. How many should I give him a day?

No he hasn’t had any other solids. Only a stick because he was chewing on the cage and I didn’t want him to hurt his teeth. I’m at the store now getting the stuff you sent me. How many should I give him a day?
    I saw another lady ask the same question where I found the recipe but it wasn’t answered. Maybe it will be here on the newer thread. However, since these don’t contain the vitamin supplements I would see no reason they need to be limited unless he loves this so much that weight becomes an issue.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Kbroset (10-15-2018)

I saw another lady ask the same question where I found the recipe but it wasn’t answered. Maybe it will be here on the newer thread. However, since these don’t contain the vitamin supplements I would see no reason they need to be limited unless he loves this so much that weight becomes an issue.
    That was probably me asking how many I can feed a day.

I make my own blocks (not Henry's cause my lil girl LOVES her HHB) but I did take Muzuri rodent blocks, and processed those to a powder and added almonds, coconut oil, babyfood and some powdered formula. I make them about the size of the HHB and bake them to dry them out a bit

Still never got the answer on how many I can feed. I only worry about the amount due to the almonds that are in them..... I know with the regular rodent blocks its unlimited, but not sure when it comes to added stuff.

I make my own blocks (not Henry's cause my lil girl LOVES her HHB) but I did take Muzuri rodent blocks, and processed those to a powder and added almonds, coconut oil, babyfood and some powdered formula. I make them about the size of the HHB and bake them to dry them out a bit

Still never got the answer on how many I can feed. I only worry about the amount due to the almonds that are in them..... I know with the regular rodent blocks its unlimited, but not sure when it comes to added stuff.
    Can you freeze the extra?

1 tsp of coconut oil
    Bake at 350 for 10min.

Yes. I have a small bag in fridge and the rest in the freezer. I also have premixed veggies in ziplock bags in the freezer. I forgot to thaw one in time and found my guy likes them as well or better frozen believe it or not. The younger three prefer them thawed. Just a thought once you reach that point..

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Kbroset (10-15-2018)

Yes it was you =) I have cut back the amount of nuts Nibbles gets since giving several of these a day. Now he only gets a couple small pieces when I’m coaxing him back to his cage. One crumble each time basically. It keeps me able to put him in as needed without a fight.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Kbroset (10-15-2018)

Success! Once they cooled I gave him one to see what he thought and he likes them! (Please excuse his hammock. He is not a very good housekeeper!) Thank y'all so much for the feedback I feel much better that he's eating something.

Name:  j35LCkC7Sz25koXRgfXZRQ.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  fgTMDKpeRMKWOVxnLSN7Yg.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  92.5 KB

Hi guys, I used that recipe and posted with photos how to bake them, the one Tamikakes spoke of but I only used about about 1/3 cup of nuts to two and a half cups of block and added a teaspoon of calcium carbonate powder (later on, not in this recipe) to even out the nuts and fed about three or more if they wanted them, twice a day. They would eat a few and shred the rest, sometimes they'd eat all, sometimes they wouldn't eat any and just stash them.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...uirrel+cookies

Success! Once they cooled I gave him one to see what he thought and he likes them! (Please excuse his hammock. He is not a very good housekeeper!) Thank y'all so much for the feedback I feel much better that he's eating something.

Name:  j35LCkC7Sz25koXRgfXZRQ.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  fgTMDKpeRMKWOVxnLSN7Yg.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  92.5 KB
    YAY!!!
    What recipe did you use?

He looks happy eating his new goodies!

YAY!!!
    What recipe did you use?
    the one Sottinger posted. Its almost just like the one TamiKakes does too but without the powdered formula which I may do when he stops taking less of his formula.

1 tsp of coconut oil
    Bake at 350 for 10min.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kbroset from:

TamiKakes (10-15-2018)

Glad to hear shes loving them.

Glad to see you found a winner!! And what a cutie pie! 😍

Glad to see you found a winner!! And what a cutie pie! 😍
    Thank you! He's the 2nd one I've found (well my husband found this one). He's a lucky little guy. The 1st one was so long ago I have forgotten most of what to do. I didn't even know about the blocks. But were learning and I think were learning. If anybody could share some things about toys and activities to give them to do or anything else that they can think I may need to know I would really appreciate it.

Thank you! He's the 2nd one I've found (well my husband found this one). He's a lucky little guy. The 1st one was so long ago I have forgotten most of what to do. I didn't even know about the blocks. But were learning and I think were learning. If anybody could share some things about toys and activities to give them to do or anything else that they can think I may need to know I would really appreciate it.
    I searched up rat toys on amazon and bought an array of things but two of his non-wood favorites is either a roll of toilet paper or a pair of my clean folded socks. He wrestles and rolls all around with them, just like he does my poor scratched up hands. But the tp he’ll shred as well and cram as much as he can into his nest.

My husband and I will actually play chase with him through the house. We’ll run (more jog actually) and he’ll catch us and a run circles around us then jump off on something nearby and go again. I have to wear a jacket for this or I’m bleeding from neck to knees. He usually jumps high enough to catch my shorts, but heaven forbid they aren’t long shorts and my thighs pay the price! This game started by accident after he kept following us to the bathroom. A squirrel running circles around you trying to bite and wrestle your hands in that situation is well... not exactly fun for mom or dad!! ��

Note: he can go from the end of the dining room to the end of the kitchen without ever touching the floor due to desk, cages, chair, kitchen bar, kitchen counters and then kitchen table. That’s his favorite track and several places he can pounce me if I’m not fast enough. We try to avoid areas that’ll put him scurrying around our moving feet for fear we could step on him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast