Thread: 4 year old squirrel has diarrhea

Katie246 Guest

Default 4 year old squirrel has diarrhea

My 4 year old male squirrel woke up from his afternoon nap with diarrhea. This morning and early afternoon he was running around, eating and drinking and his poop was fine but then he went is his “nest” for his nap and when he woke up he has bad diarrhea. His stomach is also making weird gurgling like noises. His poo does have some muceous in it.

Default Re: 4 year old squirrel has diarrhea

Could he have had something stashed in his nest that had gone bad? Keep offering plenty of fluids, maybe even pedialyte, but pedialyte for no longer than 24 hrs.

The mucous can be from irritation to his intestines. Is there a foul odor to his poo? Is the diarrhea an off color, like gray, yellow or green? Does he have out of cage time? If so, could he have ingested something while out?

You can try offering him some banana or pumpkin. Infant rice cereal has been known to help, but I’m not sure how you’d get him to take it.

A picture might also be helpful so we can see what you’re seeing.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (10-15-2018), Grinderhead (10-14-2018), Nancy in New York (10-14-2018), stepnstone (10-14-2018)

Katie246 Guest

Default Re: 4 year old squirrel has diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Could he have had something stashed in his nest that had gone bad? Keep offering plenty of fluids, maybe even pedialyte, but pedialyte for no longer than 24 hrs.

The mucous can be from irritation to his intestines. Is there a foul odor to his poo? Is the diarrhea an off color, like gray, yellow or green? Does he have out of cage time? If so, could he have ingested something while out?

You can try offering him some banana or pumpkin. Infant rice cereal has been known to help, but I’m not sure how you’d get him to take it.

A picture might also be helpful so we can see what you’re seeing.
    It didn’t smell any worse than poop and it was a brownish yellow color. He is out of his cage most of the day as long as someone is home. He seems a lot better today. Just tired and a little dehydrated which is probably because he was up a lot last night. He’s eating normally though. I got him some pedialyte and had to force it into him.

Members who have read this thread: 1