Thread: Need advise on tail surgery

Default Need advise on tail surgery

I have a wild squirrel who is scheduled for a tail amputation surgery in a week. His name is Pretty Boy. This is a squirrel who has been in rehab a whole year for a very badly broken humerus (miraculously fully recovered) and who has been released 4 and a half months ago. His tail is paralyzed and it now has a chronic wound at the tip from being dragged around. When he had to be taken to the vet last year, he was so traumatized that it took him months to somewhat settle in afterwards.
    Here is the wound 3 days ago (looks better today)
    Name:  t 11 oct 2018 tail is red today (1).jpg
Views: 34
Size:  85.9 KB

So, what I want to ask opinions about is whether you think staying a day at the hospital post-surgery is in his best interest or if taking him home right away to minimize stress is better. The vet wants to keep him under observation before letting him go. That is the routine for all surgeries, but he is being a wild animal, so WAY more stressful for him than for a pet. In my mind, this will take the stress and trauma of this experience to a whole new level and I expect this to be the hardest of it all. We are going into great length to minimize the stress of going (I did the pre-surgery consultation alone to save him from it and my husband is turning the trap into an induction chamber so he can get anesthetize right in there without being transferred). So, all that to end up leaving him there a day in the end? Does not feel right.

But If I insist of bringing him home right away, would it be worse? I am on the fence… I believe he might end up so stressed to be there that this could make him go after his wound… I don't know what to think. Opinions?
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZs0DikoWs&t=8s

Default Re: Need advise on tail surgery

If it was my animal I would insist on bringing him home. Vets offices are scary places. They smell funny and they are loaded with predators. An animal whose most keen sense is smell will certainly know that predators are near. They are also noisy. Those darn dogs just can't shut up. It is ridiculous.

Of course any surgery is risky when anaesthesia is involved but realistically tail amputation is not major surgery compared to other surgeries. Dr Emerson does very invasive surgeries (odontoma,etc) and sends them home within hours of the surgery. Her opinion is that they do much better with their own family/caregivers during that first 24 hrs. She does a surgical followup the next morning. Realistically, MOST vet offices are not 24 hr emergency centers. The doors close are quitting time and the animal would be alone throughout the night. IMO, they would be MUCH better off being observed and tended by me rather than alone. My question... observation... whose observing? I would explain my concerns about the stress level associated with a wild animal and predator fear in the office. I would insist.

I think you're wise to have the tail removed. Make sure he doesn't remove it completely. I would leave a 2-3 inch tail. If things go bad in terms of infection you don't want the wound that close to the body. A couple inches gives you some working room.

I have a girl outside with a 3 inch tail. It is the cutest thing you ever saw. When she flicks her like nub, my heart just melts.
    She lost her tail as a pinkie when she was cat caught. The tail was mostly severed but didn't dry up so it had to be removed. Name:  IMG_3272.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  202.2 KB

3. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (10-14-2018), DixiesMom (10-14-2018), Grinderhead (10-14-2018), Mel1959 (10-14-2018), stepnstone (10-14-2018), TubeDriver (10-14-2018)

Thank you so much, this is all very good arguments that go with what my gut was already telling me. Thanks for mentioning Dr Emerson, because she is a squirrel expert, so this sure will weigh heavier on the balance when I tell the vet. I will insist on taking my precious boy home. He will have a few inches left for sure because there is a part of his tail that never touches the ground, so no need to remove that part.
    This is the length I am expecting he will keep.
    Name:  InkedPretty Boy tail 13 oct 2018 (amputation line).jpg
Views: 31
Size:  70.2 KB

I too have currently 2 bunny tail squirrels that come daily. There used to be a 3rd one but she disappeared last spring. I miss her dearly. She spent the whole winter living in a nest box in our yard. Those bunny tails are pretty cute indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    If it was my animal I would insist on bringing him home. Vets offices are scary places. They smell funny and they are loaded with predators. An animal whose most keen sense is smell will certainly know that predators are near. They are also noisy. Those darn dogs just can't shut up. It is ridiculous.

Of course any surgery is risky when anaesthesia is involved but realistically tail amputation is not major surgery compared to other surgeries. Dr Emerson does very invasive surgeries (odontoma,etc) and sends them home within hours of the surgery. Her opinion is that they do much better with their own family/caregivers during that first 24 hrs. She does a surgical followup the next morning. Realistically, MOST vet offices are not 24 hr emergency centers. The doors close are quitting time and the animal would be alone throughout the night. IMO, they would be MUCH better off being observed and tended by me rather than alone. My question... observation... whose observing? I would explain my concerns about the stress level associated with a wild animal and predator fear in the office. I would insist.

I think you're wise to have the tail removed. Make sure he doesn't remove it completely. I would leave a 2-3 inch tail. If things go bad in terms of infection you don't want the wound that close to the body. A couple inches gives you some working room.

I have a girl outside with a 3 inch tail. It is the cutest thing you ever saw. When she flicks her like nub, my heart just melts.
    She lost her tail as a pinkie when she was cat caught. The tail was mostly severed but didn't dry up so it had to be removed.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZs0DikoWs&t=8s

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

TubeDriver (10-14-2018)

I second that. Having worked in vet offices for most of my life, I would feel terrible if a squirrel had to spend the night. Common sense tells us that stress (fight or flight) impedes healing and well being. He would be better with you (someone he knows) in a calm, quiet environment that he tolerates well. Best wishes for him

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

DixiesMom (10-14-2018)

Josee, I watched your memorial tribute for Dixie again. It brought it all back again. I remember everything that you did for Dixie and the elaborate tunnels for release. I also remember when she returned. It brought tears to my eyes once again. 😥
    Those that haven't seen it should watch the memorial tribute to Dixie. ❤️

I just wanted you to know that the pic is of my dearly loved short tail girl, Dixie.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

DixiesMom (10-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I just wanted you to know that the pic is of my dearly loved short tail girl, Dixie.
    aww another precious Dixie who melts someone else's heart You are lucky she is still around and you have known her since she was a pinkie. May you keep seeing her for many more years to come! My Dixie left this world way too soon and I miss her every day.
    ----
    Josee

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DixiesMom:

HRT4SQRLS (10-14-2018), TubeDriver (10-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Common sense tells us that stress (fight or flight) impedes healing and well being.
    Exactly. It seems counter productive plus I really think there is a much higher risk of him not leaving the surgical site alone if he is in such a stressful and scary environment.
    Thank you for your input Cava and your wishes
    ----
    Josee

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

cava (10-14-2018)

I also remember Dixie's tribute. She was such a loving squirrel with you all. I know how hard it is to have a squirrel friend pass away too soon. But at least you can take comfort knowing that you were always there for Dixie and I am sure she knew that.

I hope your little bunny tail heals up quickly and I would also get her home from the procedure as soon as possible!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

DixiesMom (10-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    I also remember Dixie's tribute. She was such a loving squirrel with you all. I know how hard it is to have a squirrel friend pass away too soon. But at least you can take comfort knowing that you were always there for Dixie and I am sure she knew that.

I hope your little bunny tail heals up quickly and I would also get her home from the procedure as soon as possible!
    Thank you TD
    I am glad to see everybody agrees I should take Pretty Boy right back home as soon as possible. My husband and I are determined not to leave him there.
    ----
    Josee