Thread: Anyway to stop my gray from chewing her wheel?

Default Anyway to stop my gray from chewing her wheel?

Hi all,

My 15 month old gray loves to chew. I cut her parts of an oak tree monthly to climb and chew. I also get her pine cones and branches etc...even with so much to chew she still chews the plastic exercise wheel. This wheel is the strongest most durable wheel I could find. She can destroy it in less than a month. Is there any kind of natural concoction I can mix and spray on the plastic parts of the wheel to stop her from chewing it? Or is there another type of wheel possibly made of all metal that I Can buy? Thank you

AJ

Default Re: Anyway to stop my gray from chewing her wheel?

Unfortunately, they chew, it's their most annoying and favorite past time for pleasure, fun, out of necessity, to eat, etc.

I don't know about a metal wheel, I'll let others chime in, but I try to avoid putting metal things in the cage because chewing on them can cause teeth issues (like when they chew cage bars. )

Have you done a search on cage wheels? I've seen some folks use them with success, may help you find one she doesn't destroy.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

AJStott (10-14-2018)

You need a really big wheel for a squirrel (unless this is a flyer?). Otherwise, as I understand it, you risk them injuring their backs severely. I had heard mention of a person that was making wheels for squirrel using bicycle wheels, but I am unsure if the entire wheel was metal or not. Not even sure if they are still making them.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

AJStott (10-14-2018)

I bought a large wheel from Articworx. I think it is a magnum or stealth wheel. This was great for almost a year and then suddenly she just started chewing and doesn’t stop until it can’t be used anymore. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images