Thread: 3 week old baby can’t shake soft stool, now looks skinnier

Default 3 week old baby can’t shake soft stool, now looks skinnier

Hello all, I found my baby girl a week ago, being bitten by fire ants. She’s been doing fine, really a trooper, but I can’t shake this soft stool. I am not overfeeding her, I’ve done the weight measurement and she weighs 39 g, which means I should be feeding her 2 cc, but she’ll barely take that in a feeding. Her stool is not diarrhea but it’s been soft and today she wasn’t feeding that well and seems to be kind of losing weight. I’m not too sure what to do please help.

Default Re: 3 week old baby can’t shake soft stool, now looks skinnier

What formula are you feeding?

Don’t have the container at the moment, but pretty sure it’s this; Name:  7DD700FD-BD64-4023-9B62-4A6151116FA8.jpeg
Views: 36
Size:  51.5 KB

That's probably right. I think that's an old file pic.
    The powdered puppy Esbilac with probiotics and prebiotics is the correct formula. There is a small blue banner at the top that says 'with probiotics and prebiotics'.

Are you using a 1cc syringe to feed? I always worry about these tiny ones aspirating formula. I realize the soft poop is a different issue but when they lose the enthusiasm for the formula I get worried. Listen to her chest and make sure you don't hear clicking.

We don't like to start meds immediately for soft poop. You could add a tiny bit of rice baby cereal to the formula to see if it will form the poop.

Hey, thanks for helping me out. I am using a 1 cc syringe and have had experience with pneumonia in the past and this doesn’t seem like that. No clicking, etc. She just kinda seems off. I’ll try the rice in the morning, she just seems to push the formula away the last few feedings. I was worried about dehydration and she drank water no problem. She was doing really well...

Thank you again.

Here is a link for baby squirrel care.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

It is 6 pages. On page 2 is the recipe for homemade hydration fluid. They usually like it because it's sweet. Dehydration will affect the appetite so you might want to add some extra hydration between feedings to see if that will help.