Thread: Can i use baking soda in their "litter box"

Default Can i use baking soda in their "litter box"

These two little squirrels have potty trained themselves, which i find pretty awesome since no other squirrels I've raised have done this. One of them spontaneously started using their pan of dirt to eliminate in and after a day or two his litter mate followed suit. They even Will get out of their little nest to go potty and then go back to bed or call a time out while playing to use the box, both urine and feces. It makes clean up a lot easier. They don't really dig or hide stuff in the dirt, it's pretty much strictly used for elimination.

However, while I appreciate their cleanliness habits, it makes for a pretty stinky pan of dirt! I try to scoop out the worst of it and add more dirt as needed. But Could i mix a little baking soda in there to help with the odor? If there's a chance it could cause them problems I'm more than willing to deal with the stinky pan, but it i can make it a little less stinky i would be all for it!

Anyone tried this?

Default Re: Can i use baking soda in their "litter box"

I’ve seen two of my three babies do this as well. They go to the bottom of the cage and squat towards the back of the cage. I think it’s awesome! No idea of baking soda though sorry. It’s used in cat litter so my guess would be it’s ok but I’d let a professional chime in first.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Lake Gypsy (10-12-2018)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

No baking soda if they have direct access with the litter. It's an irritant.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

island rehabber (10-12-2018), Lake Gypsy (10-12-2018)

I've always found that leaves are a natural deodorizer for squirrel cages. When there are leaves at the bottom of my cages, from the kids playing with their fresh branches that I put in, the cage doesn't smell. It has a pleasant smell of leaves, or wet leaves, but it's MUCH nicer than the smell of wet dirt or....God forbid.....newspaper.

Another suggestion: use CareFresh bedding instead of dirt. It deodorizes and absorbs liquid. The only thing is it flies everywhere so get the vacuum out.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Asos (10-03-2019), Lake Gypsy (10-12-2018)

Thank you for your input! I was wondering if care fresh bedding would work well for squirrels. I have used it previously with other small animals. Right now they have a blanket, which they love! And their roaster pan of baked dirt. Lol my family thought i was a lil nuts when they caught me baking dirt for the squirrels. But, i didn't want to chance parasites. Maybe I'll gather them up a bunch of leaves today. We had hurricane Michael come through yesterday so there's plenty of leaves to be had. Thanks again!

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

The problem with the CareFresh "deodorizing" bedding...it's baking soda! The Kaytee bedding that looks just like Carefresh without the deodorizing is fine if they have direct contact. I used to use Carefresh for my bunny's potty box and he started sneezing all the time so I looked into the "deodorizing" in the carefresh and immediately threw it away and bought the Kaytee. My bunny hasn't sneezed since.

If they don't have direct contact I don't think it's an issue, but my squirrels reach down through the grate and drag the Carefresh up into the cage...I stopped using it for squirrels all together.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page