Thread: Is it getting too cold for my juvenile to be outside?

alisakoken Guest

Default Is it getting too cold for my juvenile to be outside?

I have a 10/11 week old juvenile that I have had since about 4 weeks old. I put her in my large 10’x12’ outdoor enclosure about a three weeks ago. It is getting down to the mid 40’s - 50’s. Is this too cold for her with only being outside for a few weeks? Alabama tends to go from summer to winter kind of quick so it’s been in the upper 50’s low 60’s. This seems like a dumb question now - I just want to be on the safe side. She has a squirrel house with fried grass that she sleeps in off the ground.

Default Re: Is it getting too cold for my juvenile to be outside?

Are you saying you put her out in the outdoor enclosure when she was 7-8 weeks old? That is way too young! At that age she should be still getting formula five times a day. Even now at 10-11 weeks many squirrels still haven’t weaned. Are you giving her formula? Formula is the best prevention of metabolic bone disease.

Yes, I would say it might be a little cold for her since she doesn’t have a buddy to sleep with. Folks that live in cold climates and have squirrels as young as yours overwinter them because releasing them this late in the year doesn’t give the squirrel enough time to build a nest and store food for the winter.

What is your plan for her?

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Grinderhead (10-13-2018), Nancy in New York (10-13-2018)

alisakoken Guest

Default Re: Is it getting too cold for my juvenile to be outside?

Her age is a guestimation. I plan to release her. She has a nest in the enclosure in a birdhouse made of 1” wood that I made the entry hole only large enough for her to get in and out of. She has a bed of dried grass in it and I also gave her a large piece of felt - about the size of a paper napkin - for her to help keep her warm. I still feed her formula - twice/day and she eats solids twice/day that include Henry’s rodent block, kale or arugula, carrots, tomatoes, banana, apple, snap peas, etc. She is outside because she really enjoys being outside and as I take great care not to handle her when unnecessary - she was getting more wild and needed more room. I am new to this board so I will try to upload a picture. It’s not the best of her but it helps show her size. If it works it was taken about a week and a half ago.Name:  D80C4908-BDE3-403F-A124-6D026F238A21.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  144.7 KB

Members who have read this thread: 2