Thread: Emergency Homemade Formula

Default Emergency Homemade Formula

I just took in a new baby tonight and was told she was eating food already, but she looks so small . I could not find a pet store where we are at so I ran into a grocery and got some goat milk and heavy whipping cream. Could this get us through a couple days until we can find a Pet Smart or get home, whichever come first ? And if so what ratios goat milk :whipping cream would be tolerable?

Default Re: Emergency Homemade Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I just took in a new baby tonight and was told she was eating food already, but she looks so small . I could not find a pet store where we are at so I ran into a grocery and got some goat milk and heavy whipping cream. Could this get us through a couple days until we can find a Pet Smart or get home, whichever come first ? And if so what ratios goat milk :whipping cream would be tolerable?
    Yes, it will.

Homemade Goat Milk Formula (GMF)*:
    3 parts goat milk, 1 part plain yogurt, 1 part heavy cream.
    Leave out the cream for the first few feedings and then add it in gradually. If diarrhea occurs, reduce or eliminate the cream for a few feedings.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (10-11-2018), Nancy in New York (10-11-2018), Snicker Bar (10-11-2018)

We forgot the yogurt but st least she got something thanks !

Go real slow adding in the cream. And if the baby is doing okay on this by the time you get the Esbilac, make SURE you transition to the Esbilac slowly - take a day or two to totally make the switchover. The slower the transition, the lower the chances for tummy issues.

Of course if they are ill on the GM something more radical would be in order.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Snicker Bar (10-11-2018)