Thread: Help for 12 week old grey not himself, diarrhea & loosing weight

Default Help for 12 week old grey not himself, diarrhea & loosing weight

I came home last night from a 5 day vacation. While I was gone, I had volunteers feeding 5 of my squirrels. When I came home last night, I noticed my 12 week old was very skinny, loosing weight and dehydrated. I have been giving him fluids by mouth but has only taken in about 10cc by mouth so far. I am very worried, I'm not sure if he just hasn't been eating enough while I was gone or if there is something else going on. He has been eating his blocks and a little salad since I have been home but he just seems to be getting weaker and keeps having diarrhea. His breathing seems very rapid and his heart rate seams faster then normal. He was totally fine before I left, I don't know what is going on with him..so scared, whatever is going on he doesn't look good at all Any suggestions to help this poor boy would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Help for 12 week old grey not himself, diarrhea & loosing weight

Do you have a weight before and current? I would start by hydrating her (subQ if you have too) and seeing if a good diet will turn her around. No other squirrels show similar symptoms? Try giving her pedilayte a couple times to help restore electrolytes.

Without knowing what is going on, it is hard to suggest help. Anyone here think an AB like Cipro might be worth a shot?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Do you have a weight before and current? I would start by hydrating her (subQ if you have too) and seeing if a good diet will turn her around. No other squirrels show similar symptoms? Try giving her pedilayte a couple times to help restore electrolytes.

Without knowing what is going on, it is hard to suggest help. Anyone here think an AB like Cipro might be worth a shot?
    I weighed him before I left on 10/3 at 390g. He is now at 350g. I've been trying to give pedialyte but he only took 5cc last night and 5cc this morning. I tried subQ fluids an hour ago but he was not liking that, he was too jumpy. I will try again a little later. None of the other 3 are showing any of the same symptoms. I know its hard without knowing whats going on, just wanted to reach out to make sure I am doing everything I can for him

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shammie from:

TubeDriver (10-11-2018)

40 g weight loss in 5 days is a lot. What does his diarrhea look like? Is there any blood in his stool? Does it have a smell? Hydrating is first, get as much as you can in him. If there is no way to get a fecal done, and you are at a loss, I would put him on metro and Albon. Most animals carry coccidia in the gut and it flourishes in times of stress. It can take an animal down fast. Albon is tolerated well, treats coccidia, and metronidazole is a good gut antibiotic.

But the best thing is to get a fecal done so you know what you are treating.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    40 g weight loss in 5 days is a lot. What does his diarrhea look like? Is there any blood in his stool? Does it have a smell? Hydrating is first, get as much as you can in him. If there is no way to get a fecal done, and you are at a loss, I would put him on metro and Albon. Most animals carry coccidia in the gut and it flourishes in times of stress. It can take an animal down fast. Albon is tolerated well, treats coccidia, and metronidazole is a good gut antibiotic.

But the best thing is to get a fecal done so you know what you are treating.
    Thank you, I am waiting for a call back from my vet to see if I can get a fecal done. I have been able to give him more fluids this morning. No blood in his stool, but it does smell really bad and is light brown on the thicker side, not watery.

You might also want to separate him from any others and start being strict about quarantining him. Use separate fleece, water bottles etc and wash hands carefully with soap and hot water after you work with him. Wash fleece in hot water with detergent and some bleach, dry on medium to high heat until completely dry. Just as a precaution until you know what you are dealing with. Don't want this to start with your other animals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammie View Post
    Thank you, I am waiting for a call back from my vet to see if I can get a fecal done. I have been able to give him more fluids this morning. No blood in his stool, but it does smell really bad and is light brown on the thicker side, not watery.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    You might also want to separate him from any others and start being strict about quarantining him. Use separate fleece, water bottles etc and wash hands carefully with soap and hot water after you work with him. Wash fleece in hot water with detergent and some bleach, dry on medium to high heat until completely dry. Just as a precaution until you know what you are dealing with. Don't want this to start with your other animals as well.
    Yes, I have been doing this, thank you. I have him inside, the others are in the outdoor release cage. I have been giving him fluids throughout the day and he is actually improving! He is starting to get some weight back and his poops are solid again! So strange, maybe he just wasn't getting enough rodent block when I was gone? He was very recently weened off formula. They were all put in the outdoor release cage 4 days before I left. Maybe he wasn't drinking water? I haven't really seen them drink from their water bowl in their outdoor cage yet. How much water should they be drinking when they are weened?

[QUOTE=Shammie;1279205]They were all put in the outdoor release cage 4 days before I left. /QUOTE]

Are the squirrels in the release cage all 12 weeks old too?

[QUOTE=Spanky;1279206]
    They were all put in the outdoor release cage 4 days before I left. /QUOTE]

Are the squirrels in the release cage all 12 weeks old too?
    two of them are 9 weeks and one is 11 weeks

[QUOTE=Shammie;1279210]
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

two of them are 9 weeks and one is 11 weeks
    These babies are too young to be in the release cage... 14 weeks is about the earliest.

Are the 9 week old babies weaned already?!!?

[QUOTE=Spanky;1279221]

These babies are too young to be in the release cage... 14 weeks is about the earliest.

Are the 9 week old babies weaned already?!!?

yes.. this is the first I've heard this. Even the Wild Mammal Babies: The first 48 Hours book says they should be completely weaned from formula at 8-10 weeks.

[QUOTE=Shammie;1279223]
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

yes.. this is the first I've heard this. Even the Wild Mammal Babies: The first 48 Hours book says they should be completely weaned from formula at 8-10 weeks.
    My WMB reads at 8-10 weeks to offer formula 1 - 2 times daily.

Many of us (most?) will offer formula for as long as they will take it since that is the single best thing we can offer a captive squirrel. The majority of squirrels in my care will continue to take formula through 12 weeks and beyond.

[QUOTE=Spanky;1279224]

My WMB reads at 8-10 weeks to offer formula 1 - 2 times daily.

Many of us (most?) will offer formula for as long as they will take it since that is the single best thing we can offer a captive squirrel. The majority of squirrels in my care will continue to take formula through 12 weeks and beyond.
    you are right, sorry. Double checked. it says 10-12 weeks when they are weaned. I also double checked my calendar, my youngest is 10 weeks. they are all eating solid foods and chewing through walnuts. They were all way to active to be inside in the smaller ferret cage. They were definitely ready to have more room in their outdoor cage.