Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help 7 week old

Default Please help 7 week old

How much and what foods are best for a 7 week old?

Default Re: Please help 7 week old

https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/ Next page is in top right corner. Even though it says fox valley 32/40 its not recommended any more.
    https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/ a good quality rodent block should be the first solid foods.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Grinderhead:

Kellylynne2727 (10-10-2018), redwuff (10-10-2018), Spanky (10-09-2018)

Thank you. I started the green 's before the blocks so now I'm worried I messed up. I ordered the blocks a few days ago but I'm waiting for them to arrive.

Was also wondering if I need not give him as much formula since he is eating the greens?

Hi,

A seven week baby still needs to be on formula 4 times a day. He should also have a good rodent block in the cage with the baby. He should be eating the block well before he gets anything else other than formula.

What does your baby weigh? What formula do you have it on? We would love to see a picture of your sweetie.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Grinderhead (10-09-2018), Kellylynne2727 (10-10-2018)

Thank you for the info. I don't know about the weight. His block should be in on Friday. Trying to do my very best. I'm feeding him the formula that was suggested with the goats milk, heavy cream, and yogurt. I'm not sure how to post a picture but will try to figure it out shortly. He looks and acts very healthy.

Awww..can't wait to see a picture.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

It says my picture is too large?

This is 1 pic that I was able to get uploaded.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Kellylynne2727:

cava (10-11-2018), Grinderhead (10-10-2018), redwuff (10-10-2018)

What a cutie. He looks great. What is his name and backstory? Have you done this before?. You are doing a great job! His weight looks good, his eyes are bright. Are you going to release him?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Kellylynne2727 (10-10-2018)

Thank you. I have done it before once. But the previous one I didn't know much of anything about it. And back then the internet was not what it is today. Lucky for the squirrel he was pretty much grown. I kept him for about 3 months and was able to release him.

This little guy is "Peanut". I found him about a month ago all by himself on the carport of the elderly couple that I care for. A hawk almost got him. I suspect that the hawk took the babies out of a nest bc we also found another one who wasn't as lucky and had already passed away. So become my little buddy. I'm on the fence about keeping him bc I've gotten so attached and I think he has too, as he follows me every where. I've read arguments back and forth about keeping or releasing. Just not sure. What do u think?

I think if a squirrel is healthy and fully capable of being released, they should. Once he gets older and hormones kick in, he might be aggressive, to others if not to you. Sometimes they are just goofy, even grown up, and do fine with being kept. But believe me, they are not easy pets. Peanut will tell you what he wants.

But it is so easy to fall in love with them.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

I've definitely figured out that not only are they not easy, but they are not cheap either. Expensive little guy. I think part of releasing him that scares me is that he has no fear of anything. That worries me. But I also on the other hand of that feel like at least he wouldn't be caged ever and could be free. It's such a hard decision. I do have a cat and a dog as well, so peanut roams freely around the house in a ball which he absolutely loves. He just goes to town in that thing. I don't know if that ball is the best thing but it was the idea I came up with when he got bigger and wanted to really move around until I got the bigger cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellylynne2727 View Post
    I've definitely figured out that not only are they not easy, but they are not cheap either. Expensive little guy. I think part of releasing him that scares me is that he has no fear of anything. That worries me. But I also on the other hand of that feel like at least he wouldn't be caged ever and could be free. It's such a hard decision. I do have a cat and a dog as well, so peanut roams freely around the house in a ball which he absolutely loves. He just goes to town in that thing. I don't know if that ball is the best thing but it was the idea I came up with when he got bigger and wanted to really move around until I got the bigger cage.
    Is the ball you’re talking about the kind for a hamster or ferret? I’ve never heard of a squirrel actually using one.

I will tell you that gray squirrels are INCREDIBLY destructive. I have had to bring some releases in when they were injured and kept an injured female for many months while she healed. In both situations I felt compelled to allow out of cage time. Even with being right there they are capable of taking a chunk out of a door frame, window sill, window, drywall, window blind and cabinet in a split second. And they are messy. The food and poo that they throw out of the cage is unbelievable. I’ve also had these sweet precious guys pee through the cage and onto the wall, throw milk onto the window, etc. etc.

The hormones kicking in, for both male and females, is usually the breaking point. My sweet head trauma girl that was recovered became completely unpredictable overnight when she went into estrus. Before her hormones got the best of her I could hold and rock her every night, giving scritches and lovings. When she went into estrus there was no way I could even touch her........and I was her person.

So, wait and see how your little sweetie is when maturity sets in. As Redwuff said, they usually let you know what they want. 🙂

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Yes, believe it or not... it's the hamster ball. He loves it. He purrs. Loves it. As far as the releasing goes. I will do whatever he wants and is best for him. It will be sad to go but in the long run... no matter what... all that matters is that I saved him. That's what my main concern is. Thanks for all the information. Truly love this forum. So many good peopke with such great advice and information.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Kellylynne2727:

cava (10-11-2018), TubeDriver (10-10-2018)

If you decide to release, we have info here on the TSB about what is called a "soft-release". It is the proper way to release a squirrel over time and will help him adjust. Also, a licensed rehabber (that specializes in squirrels) may also be able to do this for you.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-How-to-Sticky

Quote Originally Posted by Kellylynne2727 View Post
    Yes, believe it or not... it's the hamster ball. He loves it. He purrs. Loves it. As far as the releasing goes. I will do whatever he wants and is best for him. It will be sad to go but in the long run... no matter what... all that matters is that I saved him. That's what my main concern is. Thanks for all the information. Truly love this forum. So many good peopke with such great advice and information.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I will tell you that gray squirrels are INCREDIBLY destructive. I have had to bring some releases in when they were injured and kept an injured female for many months while she healed. In both situations I felt compelled to allow out of cage time. Even with being right there they are capable of taking a chunk out of a door frame, window sill, window, drywall, window blind and cabinet in a split second. And they are messy. The food and poo that they throw out of the cage is unbelievable. I’ve also had these sweet precious guys pee through the cage and onto the wall, throw milk onto the window, etc. etc.
    I can't second this loud enough. In fact, I'll just take and share some pics when I get home tonight. My headboard and desk were the first victims. He's since started on the curio cabinet. Even my babies got the desk already. I didn't realize their cage was flush against the edge and Chip went to town through the cage! I've had to hide the walnuts. He's learned to actually open the plastic container. The funny one is the bathroom shelf. He gets up there and throws all the medicine bottles off. Oh, and he doesn't respect the "no animals on counters or dishes" rule we used to have. Nonetheless I am going to bawl like a baby on release day I know it.

Pics of headboard and desk as promised

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Kellylynne2727 (10-11-2018)

Wow. I haven't had that problem yet. But maybe the ball helps that situation. I dunno.

Here’s mine:

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

dr3am (10-11-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast