Thread: Clingy Little One

bucky_webb Guest

Default Clingy Little One

I saved a little girl from my sister's dog during Hurricane Florence. She is doing great. Eats like a pig and loves to do laps around my shoulders and climb the walls. I'm guessing she's around 10 weeks? I'm not sure on that though. Anyways, my issue is that she is VERY clingy. She doesn't like being in her cage. She wants to be with me anytime she isn't sleeping, she is gnawing at the metal cage driving me insane. I try to let her out as much as I can because I feel bad for her but I can only do that so much. She has sticks and bones to chew on, veggies to nibble, a stuffed toy to play with...I don't know what else to do. The only other thing that I can try is a larger cage, which I plan to do in the next day or so. I don't know if she's just attached to me or if it's boredom and I just haven't found the right toys or what. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Clingy Little One

I'm kinda jealous. I have the opposite issue. Mine only comes out now when its time to eat, and even then its JUST outside her cage. She will not let me take her out.

Do you have a picture of your little sweetie?

My Nibbles is the same way. He will pace the cage until I wake up and let him out in the mornings. I think it’s just part of being a single baby. Try a roll of toilet paper when you need a break. Nibbles spent a good hour wrestling with one then began shredding it and making a nest. He will chatter when I feed the three new babies because I won’t let him back out until they’re fed since they are so different in age and size. He takes up probably 3x as much time alone as the three babies do. He always wants on me and to play fight my hands! 💕

Of the three babies only the female wants to play with and run around me. The two boys are right back in their cage after eating. I have to watch it because they’ll literally jump back to it if I’m close enough once they are finished. Oh, and they growl at me when I first get them out .

It’s not your lack of finding toys as much as it him lacking a playmate. I spent more than I care to admit buying stuff for Nibbles and he still prefers to play with me. Not that I mind usually but sometimes I just have to trick him off me and run. I even have to close the bathroom door as he’ll follow me across the house to the toilet if not! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    I think it’s just part of being a single baby. Try a roll of toilet paper when you need a break.

It’s not your lack of finding toys as much as it him lacking a playmate.
    This is exactly it, all part of being a single baby and one of the reasons we always try to pair singletons up with cage mates. Stuffies on a spring / elastic are a good distraction for them... here is a staple:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    This is exactly it, all part of being a single baby and one of the reasons we always try to pair singletons up with cage mates. Stuffies on a spring / elastic are a good distraction for them... here is a staple:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine is a singleton. She will no longer let me take her out of her cage, will grab hold of anything and everything when I try. Its really starting to break my heart.

I meant to add that I gave Nibbles a huge cat tree about that age. He spent hours on it at work with me. Didn’t keep him from pouncing me more times than not when I walked by, but it provided a ton of independent stimulation. I’m attaching a pic. I think my daughter paid around $60 for it when she bought it for her cats but they never liked it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

dr3am (10-18-2018)

I meant to add that I gave Nibbles a huge cat tree about that age. He spent hours on it at work with me. Didn’t keep him from pouncing me more times than not when I walked by, but it provided a ton of independent stimulation. I’m attaching a pic. I think my daughter paid around $60 for it when she bought it for her cats but they never liked it.
    Nice cat tree! I bet your sweet baby has a blast on it.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Sottinger (10-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TamiKakes View Post
    Mine is a singleton. She will no longer let me take her out of her cage, will grab hold of anything and everything when I try. Its really starting to break my heart.
    I’m so sorry =( I was a little disappointed my new boys aren’t very affectionate either but I keep telling myself to look on the bright side as that probably means they will adapt to the wild that much easier.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

TamiKakes (10-10-2018)

I’m so sorry =( I was a little disappointed my new boys aren’t very affectionate either but I keep telling myself to look on the bright side as that probably means they will adapt to the wild that much easier.
    I keep trying to tell myself this.....its going to be a LONG winter.

Quote Originally Posted by TamiKakes View Post
    I keep trying to tell myself this.....its going to be a LONG winter.
    This might sound silly, and could be, but I read a long article once when searching about squirrel behavior and biting. It was after Nibbles bit me not long after I got him. I did try and find the article again and was unsuccessful. I will keep looking though and post it if I can find it. So here is the biggest part I took from it:

Slow eye blinks.. she claims this is squirrel talk for “I trust you.. I’m comfortable and/or content” I’ve done it anytime he’s chattered at me and it does seem to help. It also seems to relax him, and me too for that matter. I lower my voice and talk slowly as well. I would think if you’re both in a comfortable place she won’t be so scared to allow you to handle her. I also do this with my babies when feeding them and they return the slow blinks! Again, not sure it means anything but the fact that they return them surely makes me wonder.

There was tons more but this was the main thing I took from it. I really hope I can find it again. I remember thinking this woman must be a squirrel whisperer.

I want a cat tree like that , for $60!?? Where can I get one ??

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I want a cat tree like that , for $60!?? Where can I get one ??
    It was purchased on Amazon a year or two back. Let me see if I can find something similar.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Snicker Bar (10-10-2018)

Here are two of the more economical ones I’ve found that are similar in size to mine https://www.amazon.com/LAZYMOON-Medi...88&ref=sr_1_88 or https://www.amazon.com/LAZYMOON-4-Ti...84&ref=sr_1_84

Hopefully these help =)

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sottinger:

Nancy in New York (10-10-2018), Snicker Bar (10-10-2018)

Unhappy Re: Clingy Little One

This might sound silly, and could be, but I read a long article once when searching about squirrel behavior and biting. It was after Nibbles bit me not long after I got him. I did try and find the article again and was unsuccessful. I will keep looking though and post it if I can find it. So here is the biggest part I took from it:

Slow eye blinks.. she claims this is squirrel talk for “I trust you.. I’m comfortable and/or content” I’ve done it anytime he’s chattered at me and it does seem to help. It also seems to relax him, and me too for that matter. I lower my voice and talk slowly as well. I would think if you’re both in a comfortable place she won’t be so scared to allow you to handle her. I also do this with my babies when feeding them and they return the slow blinks! Again, not sure it means anything but the fact that they return them surely makes me wonder.

There was tons more but this was the main thing I took from it. I really hope I can find it again. I remember thinking this woman must be a squirrel whisperer.

Hmm, Makes sense.
    She has no problems me handling her IN her cage, letting me pet/groom her ect. And will hop on my hand, IN the cage, but once I try to take her out- NOPE she clings to anything she can get those lil dagger claws on.

I really want to let her out for some out of cage time, and I was able to yesterday for a little bit, but picking her up to get her back in was a whole nother issue

Quote Originally Posted by bucky_webb View Post
    Anyways, my issue is that she is VERY clingy. She doesn't like being in her cage. She wants to be with me anytime she isn't sleeping, she is gnawing at the metal cage driving me insane. I try to let her out as much as I can because I feel bad for her but I can only do that so much. She has sticks and bones to chew on, veggies to nibble, a stuffed toy to play with...I don't know what else to do. The only other thing that I can try is a larger cage, which I plan to do in the next day or so. I don't know if she's just attached to me or if it's boredom and I just haven't found the right toys or what. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    I have the same exact problem. I have a brother and sister, but only the boy acts this way. Needs constant attention and stimulation, from me usually. Very flattering, but heartbreaking too, because I can't give all the attention he wants. Days go smoother when they have something new, but i am running out of indoor space, new toys, and ideas.

I have 4 little ones that want to be on 'me' all day lonnnnnnnnnnnng. And also one that lives here with me permanently. That means I have 5 bidding for constant attention. I just finished feeding the 4 littles and thank goodness my Diesel is sound asleep in his bed at this hour. I think I finally get to sit down and enjoy a cup of tea...

Name:  disels house.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  125.0 KB

My husband and I made a squirrel playhouse from the inside tube from a roll of carpet. (he asked a carpet place to save him the big cardboard tube interior from inside a roll of carpet. It's trash to them, so they didn't care.) He then covered it with a carpet scrap they had as leftover, with a staple gun. I bought some jute rope from Lowe's and covered the bottom half with it and we cut 3 circles from plywood to make the platforms. They have squirrel sized holes cut into them for in and out, up and down and hide and seek play. I added a dog pull toy rope I bought from Walmart for just under 10 dollars. It's not as nice as the bought ones, but it works. They have about destroyed it, but they love to play on it ...round and round and round they go! Hours of fun while I get to sit on the sofa and wait for them to bounce off my head.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to dr3am from:

Sottinger (10-19-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 1