Thread: Food suggestions for adult squirrel with missing lower incisors

Default Food suggestions for adult squirrel with missing lower incisors

During a recent vet visit we discovered my approximately 10 year old male was missing his lower incisor teeth. The top two needed a slight trimming. He has been doing fine with sharing my morning oatmeal, daily cheerios, Goldfish crackers, peanut butter and cheese crackers(salt brushed off), shelled english walnuts, and his favorite cornbread from Boston Market. I also have been giving him some apple sauce recently. When I have apples or bananas I always share with him. Very occasionally i will give him a french fry after I scrape as much salt off as possible.

I am wondering if anyone else could give me food suggestions recognizing his handicap of missing the lower incisor teeth? I know calcium is important.

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.

Default Re: Food suggestions for adult squirrel with missing lower incisors

I would imagine he'd be able to eat anything he could break off with those top incisors cause he still has his molars to chew right? Seems like he'd really only have difficulty breaking into nuts. I'd just cut his veggies into smaller pieces so that he can just pop them right back to his molars to chew. We have a few members with babies that have no incisors that just finely dice up their regular foods for them.

Does he eat a lot of veggies and a squirrel block? If he can't eat block you can always make boo balls for him. There are several recipes on the board if you do a search. I often grind up harlan teklad 2018 block and mix with a little coconut oil, small amount of ground nuts, and sugar free applesauce.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

stuffs2936 (12-04-2018)