Thread: HELP! 12 week old squirrel anal prolapse!

FeelingSquirrelly Guest

Default HELP! 12 week old squirrel anal prolapse!

My squirrel has had diarrhea for 2 days. Today it was bloody, and now it appears he has anal prolapse. I assume it is from his struggling to poop. What do I do?? I have raised Max since he was 2 days old and he means a lot to me!

I have photos but it won’t let me post them on my phone.

Default Re: HELP! 12 week old squirrel anal prolapse!

I’m not sure how to handle that. It sounds like it might be something that requires a vet. I don’t know where you are located in Florida, but there are several good squirrel vets around the state. Deerfield Beach: Summit Animal Hospital Dr. Kelleher 954-968-7171 Orlando: Exotic Animal Hospital of Orlando Dr. Diaz. Panama City: Crittercare Dr. Hubbard 850-726-0838. Gainesville: Micanopy Animal Hospital Dr. Molly Pearson. Port Orange: Ravenwood Vet Clinic, Dr. Alicia Emerson 386-788-1550. Theres also one in the Tampa area, but I don’t know his name.....others might.

Care Animla Hospital in Brandon will see squirrels. I’ve yet to take one but did call to be sure they still treat them. This is near Tampa area.

My little one had a pretty swollen bottom at one point. That’s how I found this board. I was already getting his diarrhea under control and it cleared up on it’s own. Pics would help if you can try again from pc maybe? I can tell you if it looked like what I saw or if it’s worse. I was frantic myself so I totally understand your worry.

I would definitely seek vet help. You can begin to reduce the swelling of the part that is hanging out of the body which will make it easier for the vet to replace. Put a spoon of sugar in a dish and add water one drop at a time (it won't take much) until you have a wet paste and coat the area in question thickly with the sugar paste. It will begin to draw the swelling out and make it easier for the vet to return the tissue to where it belongs.

FeelingSquirrelly Guest

Thanks all. The prolapse is able to fix itself, it goes in and out when he is handled. I have stopped weaning and giving him more milk to try and reduce the digestive upset. This morning (& last night) he is eating & doing well. Luckily he has no interest in the prolapse and is not messing with it. He is resting now.

I will get him some baytril to combat any possible infection. Outcome looks good for now.

You might want to consider treating for parasites also.
    There is a case documented on TSB of a little one with a rectal prolapse caused by massive infestation of tapeworms.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    You might want to consider treating for parasites also.
    There is a case documented on TSB of a little one with a rectal prolapse caused by massive infestation of tapeworms.
    I think this is the thread you are referring to HRT4SQRLS.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...pse&highlight=

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Spanky (10-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by FeelingSquirrelly View Post
    Thanks all. The prolapse is able to fix itself, it goes in and out when he is handled. I have stopped weaning and giving him more milk to try and reduce the digestive upset. This morning (& last night) he is eating & doing well. Luckily he has no interest in the prolapse and is not messing with it. He is resting now.

I will get him some baytril to combat any possible infection. Outcome looks good for now.
    Baytril isn't generally the first line antibiotic for GI issues. Why are you starting that, is there a break in the skin, bleeding, clear signs of infection?

You run the risk of making his diarrhea worse with antibiotics unless they are really needed.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Nancy in New York (10-08-2018)

Hello i have the same problem did your squirrel continue to do well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickfly View Post
    Hello i have the same problem did your squirrel continue to do well?
    If you also have a squirrel with a problem it is better to start your own thread.

If you can post a picture with that new thread that would be helpful.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Mel1959 (09-28-2020)

Members who have read this thread: 1