Thread: Baby boy squirrel stopped feeding and just sleeping...

dontam5263 Guest

Default Baby boy squirrel stopped feeding and just sleeping...

Scooter Pooter came to us 9/14/2018 at approx. 2 1/2 to 3 wks..his eyes opened on 9/30/2018. He's been very energetic and fed well..yesterday I had to stimulate him to wake up and feed..he did well but initially was lethargic but went back to his old self. Today, I'm only able to get him to intake a small amount of water, formula, he opens his eyes half way and stretches really hard then curls up into a small ball. I am continually trying to give him a couple drops of water and then the same with formula. He will grab the syringe for a moment and then goes back to sleep. Right now I have him in his T-shirt cloth and tucked into my sports bra for warmth and he is moving but not much..please help....

Default Re: Baby boy squirrel stopped feeding and just sleeping...

Hold him right up to your ear and listen intently for any clicking sounds while he breathes. It could be aspiration pneumonia. Just in case it is, do you have any antibiotics on hand? Cipro or Baytril would be ideal. Often family or friends may have a leftover Cipro pill and one is all you need. We can help with specific dosing directions if it is AP.

Have you been using a 1ml syringe to feed him? Larger ones can feed to fast and this can lead to AP. What type of formula have you been using?

Quote Originally Posted by dontam5263 View Post
    Scooter Pooter came to us 9/14/2018 at approx. 2 1/2 to 3 wks..his eyes opened on 9/30/2018. He's been very energetic and fed well..yesterday I had to stimulate him to wake up and feed..he did well but initially was lethargic but went back to his old self. Today, I'm only able to get him to intake a small amount of water, formula, he opens his eyes half way and stretches really hard then curls up into a small ball. I am continually trying to give him a couple drops of water and then the same with formula. He will grab the syringe for a moment and then goes back to sleep. Right now I have him in his T-shirt cloth and tucked into my sports bra for warmth and he is moving but not much..please help....
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Please listen to Tubedriver. This serious and deadly quickly. Please get antibiotics that were mentioned. We need the babies weight and type and strength of med and we can dose. This IS NOT healthy squirrel behavior.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by dontam5263 View Post
    I’m not sure where you’re located in Fl. I’m in Brevard County. I have meds you can have if we are close enough to meet. Private message me if you’re close.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

TubeDriver (10-04-2018)

Any update on Scooter? I don't want to panic you but if he has aspiration pnumonua, that can kill a squirrel in as little as 24-36 hours. But it can easily be treated with proper AB treatment. TSB member Mel who posted above may live near you and can help quickly!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.