Thread: Age confusion

Default Age confusion

Is there a milestone list somewhere like human babies have to approximate age? We found this little girl 9-19-18 and at the time she was 86g. This morning she is 112g. She’s very clear on how to bolt (I mean run), she jumps pretty far to reach the formula when I’m making it. She’s no longer shredding oxbow chow (HHB is supposed to arrive Friday), she can’t get enough of it. Tail is up, curled and she’s flicked it a few times when a sound scares her. I have no idea of her age, so no idea exactly when to start veggies with her. Any ideas on where to go to pinpoint her age? Here’s a photo of her on yesterday. Name:  9150E131-B008-4E5F-BD82-B07724F0C1AC.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  96.1 KB

Default Re: Age confusion

I would start introducing veggies, but no nuts or fruits yet.

Were her eyes closed when you got her on the 19th? She looks like she is right at 6-6.5 wks old. What a cutie pie!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

I watch her video on day two of finding her. She looked like she had just opened her eyes. I also see that you read the six page primer. Good job!

What % are you feeding her at? She looks a little thin. It would not hurt to feed her more. Are you feeding Esbilac?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Were her eyes closed when you got her on the 19th? She looks like she is right at 6-6.5 wks old. What a cutie pie!
    Her eyes were open when we found her Name:  132CD718-2344-4D52-8EC9-99BC7247D449.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  91.2 KB

I watch her video on day two of finding her. She looked like she had just opened her eyes. I also see that you read the six page primer. Good job!

What % are you feeding her at? She looks a little thin. It would not hurt to feed her more. Are you feeding Esbilac?
    Yes, Esbilac. If I calculated it correctly 7% is 7.8 cc’s. I use about 7.5 - 8 cc’s, bc she spills a tiny bit each time. Should she be free feeding the Oxbow?

Quote Originally Posted by JFo View Post
    Yes, Esbilac. If I calculated it correctly 7% is 7.8 cc’s. I use about 7.5 - 8 cc’s, bc she spills a tiny bit each time. Should she be free feeding the Oxbow?
    Yes, give her as much as she will eat of the oxbow. That will put weight on her.! Sounds like she is doing a good job on her block. Start introducing green veggies to her. One at a time and not a lot.

Yea, she had just opened them. Usually they open between 4.5 and five weeks but sometimes stress opens them earlier. I would say she looks like she was five weeks old in that picture.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Yes, give her as much as she will eat of the oxbow. That will put weight on her.! Sounds like she is doing a good job on her block. Start introducing green veggies to her. One at a time and not a lot.

Yea, she had just opened them. Usually they open between 4.5 and five weeks but sometimes stress opens them earlier. I would say she looks like she was five weeks old in that picture.
    Thank you so much!! This site and it’s members have been so helpful.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JFo from:

redwuff (10-04-2018)

She’s now at 177g... does that sound right? Also, I haven’t introduced veggies yet bc she decided she only wants the oxbow and has started just shredding the block. Is that right? It seems the blocks might be freezer burned so I don’t know if that is her problem. I put them in the freezer as soon as they arrived and I make sure to close the package tightly each time I get one out.
    Last edited by JFo; 10-13-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Additional information

Babies will shred the block before actually eating it. That’s perfectly normal. =) Just be sure you stay on top of formula feedings during this time. She’s interested in solids but not actually consuming them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    Babies will shred the block before actually eating it. That’s perfectly normal. =) Just be sure you stay on top of formula feedings during this time. She’s interested in solids but not actually consuming them yet.
    She does actually eat the oxbow just not the HHB blocks. She doesn’t let me miss the formula
    Last edited by JFo; 10-13-2018 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Clarification