Thread: Not eating veggies...

Default Not eating veggies...

Lil Ashlie used to eat (well at least try and nibble) on veggies. Her favorite seamed to be regarded and green cabbage and brussle sprouts.
    I have offered her "salad" daily with arugula, dandelion greens, brussle sprouts, shredded carrot, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. She wont touch it anymore. She still LOVES and I mean, goes bonkers, for her formula and HHB.
    Is this anything to be worried about, her not eating veggies?
    The only other things I have given was a tiny piece (meaning 2 little nubs or whatever you call them, from a piece of raspberry and a pinky nail size piece of apple.

What other veggies can I try to introduce that she may take to?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Not eating veggies...

Tons of veggies on the healthy diet chart posted below:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

She should steady out in a few weeks.
    Sounds like you have the typical finicky baby who wants to see 'what else you got'.
    My little guys went NUTS over carrots yesterday. Today they buried them in the corner.. and then peed on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Tons of veggies on the healthy diet chart posted below:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

I have it posted on my fridge, and downloaded on my phone so I have it handy at the store.
    Just figured I'd ask maybe what some faves are to try.
    What about the green tops to carrots? I would assume those are safe to try?

Green tops to carrots are fine. Have you tried watercress, chicory (endive) lettuce, cilantro, butternut squash, sweet potatoe, chayote squash (mine don’t like, but others do), baby kale, celery and leaves, cucumber? I don’t normally offer fresh coconut or avocado till they’re eating other healthier veggies first because they all love them...even the wilds. My released girl absolutely adores the oriental and Mexican yams. They’re the ones that are red on the outside, but the flesh inside is either white or purple. . They’re also the most expensive. . Sugar snap peas are always a hit and my guys seem to prefer the red cabbage over the green.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Green tops to carrots are fine. Have you tried watercress, chicory (endive) lettuce, cilantro, butternut squash, sweet potatoe, chayote squash (mine don’t like, but others do), baby kale, celery and leaves, cucumber? I don’t normally offer fresh coconut or avocado till they’re eating other healthier veggies first because they all love them...even the wilds. My released girl absolutely adores the oriental and Mexican yams. They’re the ones that are red on the outside, but the flesh inside is either white or purple. . They’re also the most expensive. . Sugar snap peas are always a hit and my guys seem to prefer the red cabbage over the green.
    I have given some in moderation since it's on the 3rd list (give sparingly) I dont offer them as a staple.

Ashlie used to eat (well at least try and nibble) on veggies. Her favorite seamed to be regarded and green cabbage and brussle sprouts. I have offered her "salad" daily with arugula, dandelion greens, brussle sprouts, shredded carrot, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. She wont touch it anymore.
    What other veggies can I try to introduce that she may take to?

Try feeding the immature leaves of arugula, chicory, watercress, escarole, lettuces, kale, and Bok Choy after blanching them for ( 1 1/2 min.), as this reduces their gassiness, and bitterness; and as some that have done this have reported it makes them more appealing. It also rids leafy greens of possible bacteria, and parasites, and makes them more digestible.

Boiling the heavier matured leaves Turnip Greens, and headed cabbages chopped, up to 10 minutes, and root and stalked vegetables up to 20 min. lowers the calcium-reducing anti-nutrients they contain raw, and makes more of their calcium available to their body upon digestion.

Some here having tried this found that these same sources became more appealing to their squirrels. Can't promise, but its worth a try surely.

1/2 Tsp. of one choice of berry, or tree fruit with seeds or pit removed is fine. It isn't the whole fruits that lend to diabetes and obesity when fed in small portions, but too much grains and nuts when overfed that do.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

TamiKakes (10-04-2018)