Thread: Desperately need formula information PLEASE

Default Desperately need formula information PLEASE

Hi All. I have recently become a new momma to Sebastian (5 week old grey)Found him in the street, with injury from cat bite(assumption). He was treated with baytril and is doing fabulous. Thank God!
    After rehydration I began him on Esbilac (I did use can as I had ordered FV). I also gave him a small amount of organic whole fat yogurt to enhance the natural intestinal flora while on antibiotics. He has been doing great. Very perky. Eating and eliminating well. Wounds healed. Spunky and happy.
    I started the FV 32/40 yesterday. He has had 5 feedings so far. His stool is now peanut butter consistency which I attributed to the change in diet so I increased the yogurt and diluted formula a little more.
    While searching online for topics on this I have come across many posts and articles regarding FV. I have read everything that I could find. It seems that some recommend while some precaution on the formula.
    Having read the ingredients, I find that it contains somethings that I don’t like (corn syrup, artificial flavors etc..)
    I really need some advice. I do not want to give my little man anything that isn’t optimal for his development.
    I have stopped the FV, and he is now back on the Esbilac. I am going to pet store to purchase the dehydrated variety.
    We want the best outcome for him. Please advise me what to feed the baby boy💜🐿
    Thank you so much!

Default Re: Desperately need formula information PLEASE

I am so sorry. It is terribly confusing because the companies that make these formulas can change their ingredients - or even where the ingredients are purchased - and it can make a HUGE difference. What follows is what is valid right now:

Stop using the FV 32/40. We have had a terrible time with it over the last several years. It does not dissolve properly regardless of how hot you make it and how hard you shake it - it will LOOK fine but the animals cannot digest it. It sits like sludge in their systems and the small babies that it is supposed to be for simply cannot digest it. At one time it was great, and then they changed it. A lot of people have lost a LOT of baby squirrels because of this stuff.

At the same time this happened, Esblac FIXED their formula. You only want to buy one kind - the dry powder in the can with the white puppy on it - do not buy the goats milk Esbilac, do not buy the liquid Esbilac, do not buy Pet Lac, their cheaper version... ONLY get the regular dry puppy formula. It isn't cheap - if you have a Tractor Supply, it is a couple dollars less there.

As the baby grows, you can gradually introduce a different Fox Valley - 20/50 - to the diet if you wish. Some people use Esbilac all the way through to weaning. Some use half Esbilac and half FV 20/50; some transition entirely to the 20/50.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

island rehabber (10-01-2018), Jeltje (10-01-2018), Mennome (10-15-2018), SammysMom (10-01-2018)

Thank you so much! Yes very confusing indeed. I am tossing the FV. So grateful to this forum for potentially saving Sebastian (and many others). On the way to buy the formula. 🙂🐿💜

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jeltje:

island rehabber (10-01-2018), Javarat (10-01-2018)

The correct Esbilac formula:

Name:  formula sm.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  32.4 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (10-01-2018), Jeltje (10-01-2018), SammysMom (10-01-2018)

Thank you for the info. I am so happy that I found TSB. So much conflicting info out there. Purchased the Esbilac that you all recommended. He is very happy and cuddling me right now. (Sigh of relief ).
    After reading the horror stories that I found regarding FV, Should I do something to ensure that it passed through his system.
    He has had about 2 normal poops. He is active and looks good. He is 5 weeks so I can’t see his belly like the pics of the poor pinky’s that had the FV cement.
    Just want to make sure I am providing the best care and again THANK YOU! 💜🐿

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Thank you for the info. I am so happy that I found TSB. So much conflicting info out there. Purchased the Esbilac that you all recommended. He is very happy and cuddling me right now. (Sigh of relief ).
    After reading the horror stories that I found regarding FV, Should I do something to ensure that it passed through his system.
    He has had about 2 normal poops. He is active and looks good. He is 5 weeks so I can’t see his belly like the pics of the poor pinky’s that had the FV cement.
    Just want to make sure I am providing the best care and again THANK YOU! 💜🐿
    Normally recommended to offer hydration to flush the system before starting new formula.
    If you've already given him new formula, watch the poops and give a little hydration in between
    formula for a few feeds to help move things along. If poops stay consistent, your good.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Jeltje (10-01-2018)

I did not hydrate between formulas. He is having more formed poops but not little sprinkles yet. I will hydrate before I nurse again. I am so afraid that I fed him that. He had 4 feedings with it. I have been looking at his belly and rubbing it. I am just a little frantic because I am so in love with him and would hate to think that I hurt him in any way. I really appreciate your advice. Thank you💜🐿

I did not hydrate between formulas. He is having more formed poops but not little sprinkles yet. I will hydrate before I nurse again. I am so afraid that I fed him that. He had 4 feedings with it. I have been looking at his belly and rubbing it. I am just a little frantic because I am so in love with him and would hate to think that I hurt him in any way. I really appreciate your advice. Thank you💜🐿
    Kind of lost me here.... are you saying he's not urinated?
    One of the signs of formula sludge just sitting there is bloat, if he's passing his bowels
    you at least know he's not getting blocked and that's a good thing.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Jeltje (10-02-2018)

Sebastian is eliminating like a champ, no problems there. He did have loose stool (pnutbuttery) now formed but not pellets. Urination is perfect. I am learning this formula thing as I go. Never had to switch up with other babies I have rehabbed (rabbits, kittens, plus nursed all my human babies). Sebastian is my first squirrel, I have read every page, scholarly article, website. Just want to make certain that I do the right thing. I will tell you that out of everything I have read, you all here at TSB have helped me the most. I truly am so grateful for you all. What a wealth of knowledge. Wish I just started here! Thank you again. 💜🐿

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jeltje:

cava (10-02-2018), Nancy in New York (10-02-2018)

**** I meant to say pellets, not sprinkles. So sorry for confusion😏

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jeltje from:

stepnstone (10-02-2018)

**** I meant to say pellets, not sprinkles. So sorry for confusion😏

Note to self: NEVER have ice cream cones with this person...

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Javarat (10-02-2018), Jeltje (10-02-2018), Mennome (10-15-2018), stepnstone (10-02-2018)

Lololol😂