Thread: rehabbing a 6 week old gray squirrel hes very sick

grimmsmom Guest

Exclamation rehabbing a 6 week old gray squirrel hes very sick

my sweet Grimm is sick he has been doing great until 2 days ago when he started to have bad loose, yellow,awful smelling stool and puss in his stool. Im feeding him the goats milk formula with out the cream. I've ordered the fox farms formula but hes been on the goats milk for 7 days with yogurt. he was happy and playing yesterday even with the loose stool but today he is very lathargic. I've not given him formula since 3 pm and now am hydrating him with pedalyte very often bc hes only taking a very small ammount. he is about 6 weeks old today. his tummy is gurgling badly and hes not himself. his rectum is swollen and has had a crusty cap over it that ive washed away w warm water and a cotton ball several times. I'm going to try putting neosporin on his bottom. Im very worried! please help.

Default Re: rehabbing a 6 week old gray squirrel hes very sick

Quote Originally Posted by grimmsmom View Post
    my sweet Grimm is sick he has been doing great until 2 days ago when he started to have bad loose, yellow,awful smelling stool and puss in his stool. Im feeding him the goats milk formula with out the cream. I've ordered the fox farms formula but hes been on the goats milk for 7 days with yogurt. he was happy and playing yesterday even with the loose stool but today he is very lathargic. I've not given him formula since 3 pm and now am hydrating him with pedalyte very often bc hes only taking a very small ammount. he is about 6 weeks old today. his tummy is gurgling badly and hes not himself. his rectum is swollen and has had a crusty cap over it that ive washed away w warm water and a cotton ball several times. I'm going to try putting neosporin on his bottom. Im very worried! please help.
    Yes, the goats milk is a temporary formula and long term use can cause exactly this... you are right to provide pedialyte for now, but not for more than 24 hours or so.

You need to get some Esbilac Puppy Formula, the powdered version (picture below). Do you mean Fox Valley or Fox Farms? If Fox Valley, hopefully you ordered the 20/50 and not the 32/40. If it was the 32/40 do not use it.

Getting the Esbilac now (Tractor Supply and large Pet Stores like PetSmart carry it) would be good... many of use prefer to use 50% Esbilac adn 50% Fox Valley 20/50 with older babies.

Name:  CorrectEsbilac.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  149.9 KB

grimmsmom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Yes, the goats milk is a temporary formula and long term use can cause exactly this... you are right to provide pedialyte for now, but not for more than 24 hours or so.

You need to get some Esbilac Puppy Formula, the powdered version (picture below). Do you mean Fox Valley or Fox Farms? If Fox Valley, hopefully you ordered the 20/50 and not the 32/40. If it was the 32/40 do not use it.

Getting the Esbilac now (Tractor Supply and large Pet Stores like PetSmart carry it) would be good... many of use prefer to use 50% Esbilac adn 50% Fox Valley 20/50 with older babies.

Spanky, thank you
    I have been told that puppy formula will kill a baby squirrel. I know you guys are pros at this just concerned about grimm. Hes been really sick and I am very worried. He has been trying to nurse all over my arms face and hands all day, its pitiful. I will go to Tractor supply tomorrow morning asap. when you are saying 50% does that mean you mix it half and half with the fox valley farms and yes I ordered the 20/50. could he be nursing on his anus? does that ever happen? And could I give him a little of the goats milk w yougurt and water tonight? Im thinking hes been eating too fast and wasnt getting the nutrients he needed and was just passing the formula. sorry for all the questions this baby has been such a true blessing to me! I am in recovery from Cancer treatment of five years.Im just one year in remission. Hes such a beautiful part of my life.

Spanky, thank you
    I have been told that puppy formula will kill a baby squirrel. I know you guys are pros at this just concerned about grimm. Hes been really sick and I am very worried. He has been trying to nurse all over my arms face and hands all day, its pitiful. I will go to Tractor supply tomorrow morning asap. when you are saying 50% does that mean you mix it half and half with the fox valley farms and yes I ordered the 20/50. could he be nursing on his anus? does that ever happen? And could I give him a little of the goats milk w yougurt and water tonight? Im thinking hes been eating too fast and wasnt getting the nutrients he needed and was just passing the formula. sorry for all the questions this baby has been such a true blessing to me! I am in recovery from Cancer treatment of five years.Im just one year in remission. Hes such a beautiful part of my life.
    Cows milk, scalded milk, can kill a baby squirrel. Kitten formula can cause diarrhea which in turn causes dehydration that can kill.
    Liquid formulas can waste a baby, the correct powered puppy formula is the safe one.

How often and how much are you feeding each time? Do you have a weight on this baby to know how much you should be feeding?
    Over feeding, feeding too close together causes diarrhea, diarrhea causes dehydration. Babies need to be fed between 5-7% of their body weight.
    I personally recommend holding a new intake or a baby with diarrhea at 5% until their bowels are well formed and remained stable. Having a (food)
    scale that can weigh in grams is essential when raising these babies not just for proper feeding but also for administering meds if they were to be
    needed. Meds are also dosed by body weight.

Can you post a few pictures of baby please....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (09-30-2018), redwuff (09-30-2018), Spanky (09-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Spanky that is not true of goats milk formula. I have kept a batch of kids on it the whole way to release. I prefer 50/50 GMF and FV 20/50. I would worry more about coccidia and start treatment for that.

Keep up the hydration. That is very important for diarrhea like this. Send me your address in a Pm and I will overnight meds.

If you have Esbilac powder go ahead and switch. That would rule out an allergy to any part of GMF.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Spanky, thank you
    His puckered anus is because of the diarrhea. Yes, ointment will help but correcting the diarrhea and cause is what is needed. Do you have Imodium? Get some if not. Give us a weight and we will see how much to give.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

where are you in nc. We might have a member nearby. Hang in there
    redwuff
    State Licensed

angelam3329 Guest

Cool Re: rehabbing a 6 week old gray squirrel hes very sick

Our baby squirrel has become lethargic and not wating good.. He is about 4-5 weeks old. Someone gave him to us cause the tree he was in got cut down. He didnt have his eyes open when we got him but now he does. We have had him about a little over a week. We have been giving him watered down goats milk.. Is there anything else we should do. My daughter has been bathing him with a washclith like his momma would.

Quote Originally Posted by angelam3329 View Post
    Our baby squirrel has become lethargic and not wating good.. He is about 4-5 weeks old. Someone gave him to us cause the tree he was in got cut down. He didnt have his eyes open when we got him but now he does. We have had him about a little over a week. We have been giving him watered down goats milk.. Is there anything else we should do. My daughter has been bathing him with a washclith like his momma would.
    Angela I suggest starting your own thread, give details on your little guy, pictures would be most helpful.
    If you dont have one, get a kitchen scale, round at walmart for about $12 give or take. This will help dose if your baby needs meds and also help in knowing how much to feed.

I'm sure a mod will move this to your own thread and PM you a link to it. But please dont wait on getting a scale and some antibiotics (cipro if you can find one pill even from friends or family) in the event this is AP

Other than that if you haven't yet, please read this baby squirrel care basics until we can get more info on your little guy! https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TamiKakes from:

redwuff (09-30-2018)

Until you start your own thread, please go buy powdered Puppy Esbilac and use it full strength. You can do a gradual change but do it over a day or so and get this baby the calories he needs. Chances are this baby is not receiving enough nutrition if you are watering down ANY formula and feeding that for a week.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

redwuff (09-30-2018)

Spanky, thank you
    I have been told that puppy formula will kill a baby squirrel.
    There was a time many years ago when the Esbilac formulation had been changed and did cause terrible issues. But they have changed the formulation back and Esbilac is now our "go to" formula.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

redwuff (09-30-2018)

angelam3329 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Until you start your own thread, please go buy powdered Puppy Esbilac and use it full strength. You can do a gradual change but do it over a day or so and get this baby the calories he needs. Chances are this baby is not receiving enough nutrition if you are watering down ANY formula and feeding that for a week.
    Thank u

angelam3329 Guest

Thank u so much

Spanky, thank you
    What is happening with your baby? We would love an update.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.