Thread: Cage Question

Default Cage Question

Hello all,
    I have a question on cage size.
    I found this great cage that about 3.5-4 feet tall
    About how long will my almost 8 week old foxer be good in this cage til I should upgrade to a bigger cage? I found this one for $10 on a local FB marketplace.

I know foxers get bigger than greys and reds, so I would assume they would need a bigger cage as they get bigger.

What size cage would you recommend? I am a spoiler by nature, so I would WANT the biggest cage in the world, but financially I would not be able to afford something huge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Cage Question

If that is the cage with the metal bottom tray it's a good intermediate cage.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

island rehabber (09-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    If that is the cage with the metal bottom tray it's a good intermediate cage.
    Thank you. About how long do you think she should stay in this?

Should I take the 2nd floor/level out so it's one big open area or is that okay for now and take it out in a few weeks?

$10 is a great find, even if you only get two to three weeks out of it.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

TamiKakes (09-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    $10 is a great find, even if you only get two to three weeks out of it.
    Oh I know! Shes been climbing all over the thing for a couple weeks now, and now mastered the upside down climb. I have taken out the ramps that go from floor to floor as she doesnt need them/use them, but I'm thinking in a week or so the middle floor will have to be removed as well. I just took out the top side shelf so she has a larger area up top and still had the lower side shelf in it. I'm keeping my eye out for a bigger cage for a good deal like this one. (This also came with a water bottle, a large bag of all natural paper bedding, exercise ball (that she out grew in like 2 days) and a travel cage that was great for when she was going to work with me. Best $10 ever.

Would a 5 or 6 foot tall cage be a good size to over winter in?

Quote Originally Posted by TamiKakes View Post
    Would a 5 or 6 foot tall cage be a good size to over winter in?
    Yes, that would be a good size for a winter-over cage.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

cava (09-29-2018), Diggie's Friend (09-29-2018), TamiKakes (09-28-2018)

Fox squirrels spend more time on the ground than the E. Gray squirrels do. For this reason a large cage for fox squirrels should concentrate on the length, more than the height.

Our cage was 8 ft by 5 by 4, yet this cage worked for two squirrels separated by a double divider so they couldn't nip each others toes. For one squirrel it wouldn't be needful for the cage to be as long.

The first photo is another's construction, about the right height. The last two are photos or our cage, that was lower in height, hard to get in and out of, for us that is.

Within this space you would need to fill it with secured branches of safe woods to climb on, unbleached cotton safe rope (never plastic or synthetic fibers that their nails get catch on) perches, and of course nest boxes. If a cage it to go outside it is needful to make a double door entry with an entrance space so that squirrels can't easily escape.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

dr3am (09-29-2018), TamiKakes (09-29-2018)

There are a lot of things you can do, if you want to make a 'cage' but cut the cost.

Easiest and most ingenious I have heard of was to simply take the door off a walk-in closet, and replace it with a frame door made out of wood and hardware cloth. The closet became a 'cage'.
    Since it was inside the house and connected to the bedroom.. she did not have to worry about temperature, or an 'airlock' to it. She did add some sun lamps for extra vitamin D.

Another person I knew turned her small laundry area into a cage with a window.

Another was replacing the door on a standing (old style) office cabinet picked up at a flea market.

You would, in these situations, need to consider any paint, treated wood, and things like light fixtures and electrical outlets.

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

cava (09-29-2018), dr3am (09-29-2018), TamiKakes (09-29-2018)

Scour Craigslist and fb marketplace for a double critter nation or even a double ferret nation.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

cava (09-29-2018), TamiKakes (09-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Scour Craigslist and fb marketplace for a double critter nation or even a double ferret nation.
    I have been they are reselling at $175+