Thread: Broken leg and maybe a tumor?!?

Debby Guest

Default Broken leg and maybe a tumor?!?

We have a female squirrel I’m thinking about 10-13 weeks (still on milk because she’s under weight 240grams) and she came to us with a broken leg we were told we couldn’t split it because it’s so close to the body so we have her in a small fish tank till she heals up. She’s doing great! Running bouncing moving and she doesn’t even act like it hurts anymore (she broke it about 2 weeks ago maybe a little less) now she has a large lump maybe a tumor? And I would like to know if any one else has handled this and is there anything that can be done?
    In the past we fostered a dog with the same kind of leg brake. He hadName:  image.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  118.4 KB surgery to fix it and developed the same Tumor we were told it was scar tissue and nothing could be done other then another surgery which wasn’t necessary because the tumor wouldn’t effect the quality of life. Is this the same kind of situation?

Default Re: Broken leg and maybe a tumor?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Debby View Post
    We have a female squirrel I’m thinking about 10-13 weeks (still on milk because she’s under weight 240grams) and she came to us with a broken leg we were told we couldn’t split it because it’s so close to the body so we have her in a small fish tank till she heals up. She’s doing great! Running bouncing moving and she doesn’t even act like it hurts anymore (she broke it about 2 weeks ago maybe a little less) now she has a large lump maybe a tumor? And I would like to know if any one else has handled this and is there anything that can be done?
    In the past we fostered a dog with the same kind of leg brake. He hadsurgery to fix it and developed the same Tumor we were told it was scar tissue and nothing could be done other then another surgery which wasn’t necessary because the tumor wouldn’t effect the quality of life. Is this the same kind of situation?
    Depending on severity of break the bones will calcify and heal, this calcification sometimes will cause a noticeable "lump" at the break site.
    Does the lump feel solid?
    Had she been given any antibiotics to ward off infection to your knowledge?
    Is she able to use the leg, can she climb?

Can you post a few more pictures so we can see the whole squirrel...I see the lump in your picture but kind of hard to tell by the way your holding which end is what.

What is the white in the photo?

Addressing "underweight" for age, what is her diet, what is the formula you are feeding?

Assuming she is healed, I'd get her out of that small fish tank, she needs room to grow and that has to be depressing for a 10-13 week old.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.