Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting really worried

Default Re: Getting really worried

Other than the blocks, what does she have to chew on?
    My 9 week olds are normally buzz saws... destroying branches as fast as I can deliver them.
    I have often wondered if maybe they need to chew at this age to 'shape' or 'settle' their teeth into place.
    Always good to check teeth alignment, to take that off the list of worries.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

island rehabber (09-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by NalaSqurriel View Post
    Okay so now shes up and acting a little more energized but she keeps rubbing her face keeps trying to find things to nibble on. She has rodent block romaine lettuce and dandelions available. I also hear her teeth grinding a little bit now and again.... could her teeth be a problem ??

They are learning how to groom, face wiping on things or wiping face with hands is okay behavior. You should always check your baby out on a regular basis, all over, and that includes teeth. If you see something that you are unsure of, post a photo and we'll look with you.

Teeth grinding is normal but providing something for her to chew on is a good idea. They are little wood shredders. Go to the healthy diet for pet squirrels for a list of safe trees and forage a twig or two for her to try out. (I learned the hard way, check it for bugs and spiders before bringing it in...)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

I have to get more chewing things. It scares me to bring things in from outside. Is there anything at the petstore I could buy ? If not i will look . And this morning she up jumping around and acting more her self. Not really wanting to suckle and drink the bottle anymore. She tries but then doesnt like it and stops. But she hasn't tried other food yet either

Sometimes they seem to get burnt out on a certain type of food. They love red cabbage one day.. won't touch it the next.
    I try to vary the menu, with new items from the 'most healthy' list:
    - Arugula, bok choy, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, chayote, cauliflower, purslane, watercress.
    I have never had much success with brussel sprouts.. but Arugula and bok choy are always winners.

Safe chewing... if you can identify trees (I am not good at it) apple, aspen, walnut, cherry, dogwood, hickory, magnolia, maple, popular...
    (these are basically all trees that do not have a bark that you can peel off)

Pine cones.. they love to shred these. They pull the petals off and eat the tender stems in the wild.

A branch with dead leaves on it is good.. they shred the branch, play with the leaves, and practice nest building with them.
    Just make sure it is dry wood, and not deteriorating with mold or rot.

Quote Originally Posted by NalaSqurriel View Post
    Not really wanting to suckle and drink the bottle anymore. She tries but then doesnt like it and stops. But she hasn't tried other food yet either
    Are you using an actual bottle with nipple? It's an aspiration risk and a 3 ml syringe with nipple is best.

Sometimes they begin to self wean but I think she should be hungry if there isn't anything else to eat. Is it warm enough, fresh enough, etc? How old is she and have you offered a rodent block yet? Henry's high protein blocks https://www.henryspets.com/hi-protein-blocks/ or Harlan-Teklad (Envigo), Mazuri, etc.

You just started antibiotics, correct? She could just be getting her appetite back. Hang in there with her and keep trying. She needs to stay hydrated while on antibiotics especially to protect those kidneys. Are you also using probiotics to help minimize upset tummy?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12