Thread: Need New Foods

Default Need New Foods

I think my 3 year old female Ashley is burned out on the Henry's diet. She's always been a pretty good eater but I've had to keep a good variety on hand and mix it up every day. Now she doesn't have much interest in the Henry's diet items. Can anyone recommend something new and exciting that is not bad for her?

Default Re: Need New Foods

What do you mean by the Henry's diet? Like, you tried all of their blocks and she's not interested anymore?

Are you giving a variety of veggies, rotating them in and out, giving wild pickings from outside?

Are you giving too many treats and she's waiting for treats instead of eating?

They do go through times of eating more and less.

Sometimes I would give too many veggies hoping they'd eat something and I found out giving a few only makes them get into the habit of eating what's offered instead of picking and wasting everything.

You could make boo balls out of a rodent block. Recipes are all over the board, just do a search.

Default Re: Need New Foods

I use the diet plan that you can download from Henry's Healthy Pets. It's got a triangle of food groupings. The largest is block. Then it has group 1, 2, and 3 veggies. It also lists some fruits, and outside items. Anyhow, she eats Henry's healthy blocks just fine. It's the veggies she has started turning away from. Maybe I am giving her too many treats and wild items. During the day, there are always wild items available to her in addition to her block and veggie bowl. Wild items include (one per day) short leaf pine cones, gum tree balls, tulip poplar cones, white clover, twigs of many varieties, etc. At night we start with 6-8 mL of Esbilac. She still likes the stuff at 3yrs old. Then, one almond, and either a hickory nut or a black walnut. She always eats the almond. She may try to hide the hickory or walnut. If she tries to hide the hickory, or walnut, I keep giving her another until we find that extra tasty one she wants to eat. I do that for her teeth. A hickory nut or a black walnut is a lot of teeth work for just a little treat. I will start rationing the wild items to every other day and I will change the almond to every other day and see what happens. Thanks for the advice. Also, I've tried every boo ball trick in the book. She won't touch them. It's Henry's block or nothing. Thanks again.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Centerline from:

cava (09-25-2018)