Thread: Deer antlers

kevinhayden Guest

Default Deer antlers

What is the best place to buy deer antlers? I have looked and squirrelsandmore but the shipping is just as much as the antlers are.

Default Re: Deer antlers

I think I bought them on eBay but to be honest with you no squirrel I've ever had has ever touched them. I think a squirrel has to be calcium starved to chew an antler. Another thing about antlers is the age. They have no interest in a fresh antler. I have read that an antler sunbaked for years is more appealing to them. Someone suggested throwing a rack on the roof for years would be a good cure process.
    When did you need it? That would look lovely.

You could buy some calcium cones that would serve the same purpose. It's called Chilly Chews. I have those and they have teeth marks all over them.
    http://petworldoutlet.com/spet-chilly-chew-100079287-c

I know nothing about this company. You can shop around. I just wanted you to see the product.

My hypothesis is that the commercially available antler pieces are not attractive because they are taken from slaughtered animals. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it is terrifying and they die with their bodies full of stress hormones, and animals can sense that.

The barn where I used to board my late horse was surrounded by forest and there were tons of deer - and so tons of shed antlers. The barn dog, Mozart, lived to comb through the woods and find sheds so I had a ton of them. Brand new, just dropped off the animal, no drying time - I would scrub them down and tie wrap them to the cage. I think that part is important - they don't want to hold them like a nut - they want them attached to something strong so they can really work on them. The noise it makes is like fingernails on the chalkboard...on steroids!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Milo's Mom (09-23-2018)

kevinhayden Guest

My main concern right now is something to help file his teeth down. Hes still on formula and eating different fruits and veggies along with teklad 2018 so I think he is getting plenty of nutrients but isn't getting much that's actually hard to chew on for his teeth. I may have posted this in the wrong section.

I got elk antlers (fallen not taken) from a company on Amazon. They sent me smaller pieces, too small for dogs to safely chew. The last four I overwintered went to town, but the last singleton I had liked to covet them and hide them, but didn't chew them.

https://smile.amazon.com/JimHodgesDo...8-8&ref=sr_1_8

Members who have read this thread: 1